Thread: Drain plug for riser is stripped

Default Drain plug for riser is stripped

Anyone know any tricks for a large stripped bolt? I'm winterizing and one side of the riser did not have a stop-cock, just a huge square bolt that will not budge. It's now stripped completely and I need to get the water out.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default bummer...

Wildog,

It must be a square headed pipe plug. Have you tried any heat yet such as a propane or MAP gas torch? (be safe......). Can you get some locking pliers on it? Sprayed it with penetrating oil and let it soak overnight? Did you hold your mouth right? Swear words might help. Worse case scenario is to pull the manifold and drill it out.

Keep us updated.

Good luck....

Default stripped plug

Are your headers the old school Kodiak (black) cast aluminum headers? Mine have a large plug on the back end of each header that I never pull. If you have this kind, should be able to drain the 4 plugs/pet cocks on the bottom of each side and then the one petcock under the exhaust riser off each side. On my set up, the only other thing I drain is the sand trap and this has got me through the last couple of winters fine.

Default Redline

Quote Originally Posted by alaskandad View Post
    Are your headers the old school Kodiak (black) cast aluminum headers? Mine have a large plug on the back end of each header that I never pull. If you have this kind, should be able to drain the 4 plugs/pet cocks on the bottom of each side and then the one petcock under the exhaust riser off each side. On my set up, the only other thing I drain is the sand trap and this has got me through the last couple of winters fine.
    It's a redline 460, and only one stopcock on the backside of each riser. The portside riser had a stopcock, so easy, just opened it and the water poured out. The starboard side riser had a square plug, and it was made of soft metal that stripped easy, even though it was square. The plug is seized big time and it's not square anymore, now it's 1/2 the size and round. Anyway I ended up taking the top off the riser so I could suck the water out, but looking down I can't see any water at all. (I need to replace the riser gasket anyway). I guess I'll remove the entire starboard riser and drill the crappy plug out and put a stopcock in it.
    This is my first powerboat, and so far it's true that there are two good days in owning a boat (the day you buy it and the day you sell it).

I'm not sure exactly what your talking about but if you had a squared headed plug and its now round I'd use a pipe wrench. Sometimes smacking the top of any stuck bolt or fitting helps to free crap in the threads to aid in removal. Drilling it out may not be your best route unless you know what your doing and you can get any shavings out of the inside if that matters. Personally if I couldn't get it out with the pipe wrench I'd weld a large nut to the top of it and hope that the weld/heat help free things up and then use a wrench.

Default I lost the battle

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what your talking about but if you had a squared headed plug and its now round I'd use a pipe wrench. Sometimes smacking the top of any stuck bolt or fitting helps to free crap in the threads to aid in removal. Drilling it out may not be your best route unless you know what your doing and you can get any shavings out of the inside if that matters. Personally if I couldn't get it out with the pipe wrench I'd weld a large nut to the top of it and hope that the weld/heat help free things up and then use a wrench.
    I've tried the pipe wrench, soaking with wd-40, large heavy vise grip, tapping hard, heat with a blow torch. It's not moving and there is not much left of it to grab onto, I think I'll take it off and take it to a machinist unless anyone has any really good ideas I have not tried. This boat is a 1993 and has never been in the cold until this year, so I don't think anyone has taken that plug out before.

Default Remove it

Sounds like you've exhausted your options. The best way now is to drill it, and if you destroy the threads you can allways heli-coil them later. Or just take it to a machinist, I don't thing they'll charge too much for such a small repair. Good luck and good boating.

Chris

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

If you have an arc welder put the stick on the end of the plug ground the block hold the electrode on the part and turn on the welder then off after it sticks good try unscrewing it again it will probably come out. This is an old trick used on frozen exhaust manifold bolts that are rusted and broken off.
    Mike