Thread: Kodiak DG475

Default Kodiak DG475

Okay,so it has been a week since my return and I am still disappointed about my goat hunting experience on Kodiak. We hiked in 7 miles to a spot where everyone had said there would be big billies. It took us one day to cut our way through the alders up to a place where we could spike camp. And that was just one mile. The next day we woke up and walked over numerous ridges and glassed and saw nothing, except around mid day from about 200 yards away we spotted a sow and her cubs. This was by far the biggest bear I have ever seen. Her cubs were the biggest bears I have ever seen. She took one look at us and started running----towards us. We were up on top of a ridge so she had to come sideways at us. I don't know why she came at us. We did everything "right". We made noise, didn't run, didn't surprise her etc. etc.. She tried several ways to get at us but never could. We eventually had to shoot at the rocks around her to make her go away. She came with in 30 yards of us. After that I was a little un-nerved and didn't know if a goat was worth my life for a bear. We saw many more bears that day. Way more bears than goats and higher up above the goats. At about 4:00pm we saw 3 nice billies that I could have gotten a shot off after about an hour stalk, but all the basins and mountain sides were filled with bears. We did not think it would be a good idea to pack out raw meat with a ton of hungry bears around. I did not want to spend another night at our spike camp in bear country with fresh sign all over either. On our way back to spike camp we saw several huge bear tracks that went right over top of our tracks from about 8 hours earlier.

I was prepared for hard hiking/packing but not for defending my life against so many huge bears. Everyone had said they wouldn't be a problem and would be feeding on low berries. I am still disappointed and second guess our desicion to leave, but know it was for the best as I am alive. I know there were several others at our base camp who left Kodiak early as well, can only suspect it was because of bears. Any stories out there?? Hunting should be fun and challenging but pursuing this goat would have made me fearing for my life every second...not much fun to me. Is this normal for the bears to be so bad in this area and up so high??

We came back to Anchorage hoping to do some bear hunting Headed down the pennisula. Saw 10 bears but never got a shot off. Spent over 5 hours cutting through the brush at Cooper Lake to get to where they were and as soon as we got to the top of all that crap, it started to snow and we were socked in. So all in all this has been a discouraging week of hunting. We gave it our all. I probably sound like a wussy, but after I was charged by 3 bears without any raw meat, the adventure took on a whole new meaning. Just like to here other stories if any one has had similiar situations. I would still like to get a nice black bear to try and end this season successfully. Any suggestions? Thanks.

MTAC...I wish I had your luck. Every hunt I go on (5 backcountry hunts this year) and no legal brown/grizzly to be found. I am convinced the best way to keep them away is to have a harvest tag! ;-)

Well, they ain't lying when they say Kodiak has a lot of big bears.

This time of year there aren't too many berries down low. The salmonberries have been gone for a month and blueberries tend to be up higher. This time of year some bears on Kodiak are still chasing the remaining salmon, but others are out cruising the hills eating a varied diet of whatever they can find. Bears are really trying to pack it on right now. We saw bear fresh bear scat at 2500' on my Kodiak goat hunt last year. I think you got some bad info on bear distribution this time of year.

I'm not sure why you are diappointed. You hunted Kodiak for two days, saw three nice billies and some bears. We sat in a tent for three days before we could go up after my goat last year.

Default Its been posted.

Mt,
    The late season Kodiak goat hunt is a pucker run, the dg47"anything" is full of Brown bears. The berries are prime into October in the high alpine.
    All of that info is in the archives here.

(I think I had emailed you to thoroughly read all of it )

We saw 10-12 bears and most were bold in the 475 area probably because that area is seldom fall hunted for bears due to lack of access.
    The area around Karluk the bears are far more skittish imho.

I wish we had your luck seeing a billy (or any goat) though, we never even got that chance between the bears and horrible weather.

F.

Default 475

We hunted 475 in Mid-August out of Windy lake and scored 2 kills. We checked with the bio's and found that the Salmon berry crop was basically killed out in the spring with a very late frost. That has kept the bears very high and looking to feed on anything that smells good. We saw over 40 goats during a 5 day hunt and on 3 of those days the wind and rain were sideways. 1 2 year old came within 30 yds of our spike camp and my 2 buddies kept waving and yelling he stopped short and went away. We also had fresh tracks within 30 yds of the base camp. We did use a bear fence and would use one again in the area.
    Great area, TOUGH hunt lots of bears----------always adds to the experience!

RC

I hear ya buddy. I went there to hunt goats (DG477) and ended up feeling like I was gambling with my safety before all was said and done. We couldn't get into our high lakes and ended up going for option B which was to land at a lower lake and hike to the goats. The hiking part I had no problem with, the rain and wind I had no problem with. But the Bears..... thats a whole nother story. We landed on a lake that I honestly cant tell you how many bears were on it, I would guess several dozen in a 1-2 mile sq area. that really ruined it for me. Then after going to option C and relocating to turn it into a deer hunt and after shooting one buck in the first 2-3 hours we were there and having a brown bear charge in our direction out of dense alders to the sound of my Kimber going off I was left really wondering WTH I was doing there. I can honestly say that it was one of the first times I really started thinking about my wife and son and wondering if all this is really worth the end result. I know that bears in general dont want anything to do with us, I have hunted them enough to know that, both with a gun and a bow. But with this many big SOB's I felt like it was a roulette wheel from one minute to the next, one night to the next and each day. My partner was even more concerned than I was. Kodiak's a tough place and unless you are okay with constant intense close up bear encounters daily or nightly its sure hard to hunt this time of year. The funny part is that our air charter said when Oct 25th rolls around and bear season is open, they are harder than hell to find. Go figure! Glad you made it back safely.

Smile DG475 Hunt

We just got back on Friday from a DG475 hunt. We flew in last Sunday and my buddy and I both got our goats on Wednesday (One billy and one nanny). We saw plenty of bear sign on the way in, saw a large boar on Monday night, a big sow and three cubs on Tuesday and no bears the rest of the time. We slept pretty lightly, and thought we heard things outside the tents a couple of times. Probably more of our imagination than anything else. All in all it was a pretty good hunt.
    Went on another hunt up in the Center mountain area with another friend and we counted 20 bears on the way in and 18 on the way out. Only had one bear meet us up high and as soon as he saw us he turned and ran as fast as he could the other direction. This hunt was before my DG475 hunt so I think I just kind of got used to the bears being around. We came down the mountain with meat on our backs (got right at a 10" billy), and when we would get within about 100 yards of the bears feeding down in the rivers, they would see us and head into the brush.
    There hasn't been much for salmonberries this year and I think it has been bad for the bears. I did see several blueberries still though down in the Zachar hunt. All in all they have been good hunts, you just have to forget about the bears to some extent. I can say that though, as I haven't been charged yet. Might be a different story if I had.

Default 475dg....

I went with a buddy into this unit several years ago for him to hunt goats. After 10 days hunting we decided this was a great place to hunt bear rather than goats or deer! We had many up close and personal bear encounters and the bears there don't seem to have a fear of humans. I was lucky enough to get drawn for bear there this last spring and was able to get a little revenge. Me and my buddy both shot bears.......we saw a total of 55 brown bears in the 7 days we were there. That was plenty for me!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default 475...

Interesting stories. Perhaps the newest and best argument for hunting goats in august in this area is that a lot of the bears are still on salmon...- we hunted for a week out of Goat lake- I killed my billy- all 10" x 5.75" of him on the second day, and we hunted deer the rest of the time- of course all we saw were does, fawns and spikes. Anyway, we found a bear skull, but literally didn't see a single bear. The berries weren't quite ripe, and the streams down low were full of fish...

My bro and I hunted DG475 in late August and had several bear encounters as well. We hiked up to the upper elevations from sea level and camped out a couple nights. I managed to get a billy on opening day, but the fun began from there. We made our way back down through the nasty brush from hell to end up on the beach where there was the only creek around for water. We set up a tarp over some rocks for the night and built a big fire. The bears were harassing us all night and we got charged once. The glow of their eyes would flash towards us extremely fast in the view of our headlamps. Anyways, we didnt get any sleep that night and decided to call our plane in a little early.

Default Lets see....

BEARS, WIND, RAIN, ANGULAR TERRAIN, SNOW AT ELEVATION,...and ALDERS = welcome to Alaskan hunting!