Thread: Diesel cabin heat which one?

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Diesel cabin heat which one?

I am looking to put heat in a new hard top aluminum boat the manufacturer has priced me a Wallas 40D ducted to the windows and cabin at just a shade under $3K. I think that is probably a fair price installed I know these units are spendy and I do not want propane but is there a less expensive alternative? The cabin is fairly small 7.5' long by about 7' wide with a queen size birth so I don't have room for a free standing model. I also live in Wa state so I don't use the heat as much as someone would in Alaska fishing in early spring or fall. I plan on using in Alaska in the summer but it gets a little chilly hear in the fall, winter and early mornings.

I have a propane Mr Buddy in my rag top but I hate it. I have a hard time keeping it lit because of the safety features and it makes the inside sweat
    Mike

I have been looking for the same thing for my 22 foot aluminum boat. There is a thread I started on here a few months back with a lot of good feedback if you search for it.

But the consensus was either the Wallas 30D or 40D and the Espar Airtronics. All of them are good diesel heaters and take up very little room. Unfortunately they all run $2300-$3000. Darn things are spendy.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I found a source for the Espar for a shade over 1K but it does not have a tank. Does anyone have a picture of the Espar installed? I am wondering if the unit can go inside the cabin or if it needs to be outside.
    Mike

Where did you find the espar for $1k?

You can mount the espar in the cabin but need to run an exhaust tube just like the wallas. That does not come in most of the kits so it adds to the price.

Default Im looking as well...

Does anyone use a Force 10?

These guys carry wallas heaters: http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_furnaces.html They are in your neck of the woods. I had the wallas 1300 in a 2000 model hewescraft alaskan searunner. Its cabin dimensions were about the same as yours. It worked great and was very easy to install with two people. It ran on 100% mineral spirits. This model did not have a thermostatic control, so it was either on or off. A friend with a 26 foot searunner had the model up, and it would run you out of the cabin when set on high. I would run mine 24/7 any time it was raining. It kept the moisture out of the cabin. Nice little unit. That being said, the new boat is going to have an espar.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

A friend of mine has the Dickinson Newport propane heater and swears by it ...but I don't like propane in boats. I've seen it and it's a very nice looking, great working heater. I'm planning on getting the diesel version of it for mine (next summer when my boat is done.)

Brian

Take a look at the Toyotomi Cabin Heater ~ http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/...rs/NS-2800.php

I think I saw a Dickinson heater on craigslist a few days ago. Don't recall the price.

Default Wallas 800/220, cook top with fan hood

I installed this unit and it's worked out great, heats the cabin with the little fan yet I can cook on it. Was not hard to install, I did it in a day easy. Had to cut a whole for the stove, switch and vent. On low it will burn a gallon in 45 hours on high 12 hours.
    Used it in Oct, got up and was 30 out, started it and in 15min was warmed up nice in my 22' Explorer Bayliner. The price I had here was when I tryed to get three sold so they would give us a 10% discount, but no takers so it's $1500 or so.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Congrats on the new Wallas. Once you've put one in (or probably most any diesel heater/cooktop), you wonder how you got by without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skydiver; 10-20-2007 at 21:10. Reason: Trying to add photo

Default wallas 1300

I have a wallas 1300 with less than a quart of fuel burned through it. Had to send it back for warranty work, and turned out the circut board was faulty. I was planning a 10 faimily trip in the sound and we had to buy locally, a toyotomi stove. Sooo.... now I have a wallas stove, like new for sale. If any one is interested pm me. I will probably end up putting it on craigslist.

Default trapman...

you have a PM