Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Rum

Default 300 Rum

Well I finially bite the bullet and got this caliber in a Remington 700Bdl What my question is what are you all loading up in this gun?(Load Data) Also I was thinking of going with a Nosler Ballistic tip or a partition 180gr. What is your thoughts and experience. Im a little patial to the BT as it is a boat tail and has done me great on my 6.5/06. But how does it work on moose and bear(Brown)? Any advice and suggestions are a great help.
    Thanks for your advice...
    Chris

Default RUM info

If you were to post this in the Reloading section you will get alot more info. I had a RUM for 2 years and really likes it alot, unfortuneatly my shoulder couldnt take the beating any more. You will have better luck shooting the 200 graiin bullets rather then the 180 grainers. The RUM's all seem to like "heavy for caliber" bullet weights for some reason. As far as which bullet, I would stay away from the B-Tip at those velocities. It would explode on impact. You could comprimise and choose the Accubond, which is identical to the B-Tip but is better built and will penetrate more. I personally would choose the 200gr Barnes TSX with some Retumbo and call it good. I wouldnt be afraid of anything that crawls in the woods with that combo.Good luck.

Tim

I dont own a 300rum, but i know a little about it.
    Remington makes a 200grn suped up load with A-frame bullets.
    A-frame bullets are the *****. My dads friend went cape buffalo hunting with A-frames last summer. It is THE bullet of choice for dangerous game in africa amoung hunters.

You should be able to put a hole in the moon with that 300rum. good luck

Default 180 Tsx

180 barnes tsx moly coated pushed by 103 to 105 grains of 50BMG powder puts the hurting on a lot of animals. The ballistic tip noslers are crap for the high velocities of this round.

Default 180 gr Swift Scirocco

I have owned a 300 RUM and have used it hunting everything (antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, blackbear, griz, moose, etc) and it is a great choice for myself. I reload 180 gr Swift Scirocco with 89.3 Gr of H4831 powder and can effectively place 5 shots in 4 inch groups at 400 yards. That bullet is super thick jacketed and penetration downrange has been supurb. The downside is that at lighter hided animals at close range, the bullet is not soft enough to do much damage except exit the way it went in. I've taken deer at 30 yards (should'a had my bow) double-lunged who left barely any blood and traveled 100+ yards after the shot. Since I've moved to AK, my shots have been a bit longer and have been deadly with this round (quick). My moose was shot at 40 yards this year and he took a few steps (bullet performed flawless and retained nearly 80 percent of it's weight). I'm convinced to keep using it and see no evidence suggestive that I change bullets. If you're open to suggestion, you should give this bullet a chance. Good Luck!

Default Lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    Since I've moved to AK, my shots have been a bit longer and have been deadly with this round (quick). My moose was shot at 40 yards this year and he took a few steps (bullet performed flawless and retained nearly 80 percent of it's weight).
    Sorry dude, 40 yards and he still walked! Take a head shot and he'd drop in his tracks, believe me.

Lotsa guys on here shoot paper within 2" groups +/-1" and can't even shoot a moose properly to drop when hit. That is why they go to bigger calibers, LOL. Head or neck/spine shots they drop. But you do it as you please as do others that don't believe me 'cause you can't shoot well enough to hit a barn.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Sorry dude, 40 yards and he still walked! Take a head shot and he'd drop in his tracks, believe me.

Lotsa guys on here shoot paper within 2" groups +/-1" and can't even shoot a moose properly to drop when hit. That is why they go to bigger calibers, LOL. Head or neck/spine shots they drop. But you do it as you please as do others that don't believe me 'cause you can't shoot well enough to hit a barn.
    Well said.....

To start, a Ballistic Tip out of a 300 Ultra should seriously not even be attempted on a moose or brown bear. It just won't work reliably. It will be in at least 2 pieces after entering the hide. I speak from personal experience as I too like the way the BTs shoot. I have a collection of separated BT copper with no lead in it from a few different calibers and animals. If the animal is small the 2 piece thing really doesn't matter because it will drop just fine. I just wouldn't use the BT on anything larger than a caribou, and preferably at long range.

With the 168 Ballistic Silver Tips (BST) I have taken caribou, antelope, ibex, and at least a few whitetails. Found separated copper with no lead in the ibex (240 yards), one whitetail (90 yards) had 2 exits from a single shot, the caribou (410 yards) had 2 pass throughs and worked very well due to the reasonable velocity, the antelope was a back to front (424yards) with no exit but I didn't look for the bullet considering the inards were a mess. The other whitetails were all pass throughs from 25 yards to 366 yards.

I perfer the BST over the standard BT. I tried both and I get higher velocity with the BST without shooting the crap out of my barrel. I have a borescope and you can definitely shoot the crap out of the barrel just because you want to impress with your velocity numbers. With the BST staying below max levels and with a normal head expansion my chrony puts me at 3400 fps, 2.5 high @ 200, 0 @300, -7 @ 400.

My gun shoots the 168 Barnes TSX bullets almost as good as the BSTs. With the BSTs I average around .5 groups and the TSX about .7. I would go to 180 TSXs for moose and browns. With the 168 TSX I have taken javelina (25 yards with a massive exit), whitetails, and a great Barren Ground Muskox, a good bit larger than the Greenland version in Alaska.

Regarding some of the previous posts, I think it is just irresponsible to routinely suggest head and neck shots. It is just bad advice as a general rule. There may be certain cases where it would be acceptable but not as a general statement. Just on the lighter side of it, my guess is they never shot anything they wanted to have scored and probably don't have too many things mounted. Trust me when I say if you hit a moose in the head with a 300 Ultra, at any range with any bullet, you will not be able to score it. Hit it in the spine and your taxidermist is going to suggest a head turned sideways mount.

On the heavier side of it, my guess is they never saw the consequences of a lower jaw blown off. No one can anticipate when that animal will jerk its nose up for a sniff resulting in a hit at the back of the lower jaw!!!! A very terrible lingering death for the animal. Marksmanship has NOTHING to do with it!

I had a couple 300 rums. I loaded 200's to 3200. 220's to 3050 and 240's to 2850. I never did load anything lighter in them.

My favorite powder was retumbo for the 200's.

Whatever bullet and load you want to try you will have to find what is best for your rifle.

When I loaded for mine the chronograph really showed me a lot.

With 200's imr 7828 was the slowest powder at something like 3000+

But imr 7828 was the fastest with the 240's.

Each rifle is an individual.

I have hunted with MARV1 and he hits what he is looking at. This year I shot my 3-4 Y.O. moose with my .375 Weatherby at maybe 50 feet, the bullet entered near the rear of the left side (it was running away from me and I wanted to reach the heart), the bullet entered, destroyed three ribs, sent frags into the lung shredding it, it hung its head and dropped after continuing to run another 50 feet. I was truly disappointed.

I also witnessed MARV1's oldest boy (9 Y.O.), shoot a bull in the back of the head with his .22-250 and it dropped. I was embarrassed. But I CAN hit the barn...really I can....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

[quote=Ed M] Regarding some of the previous posts, I think it is just irresponsible to routinely suggest head and neck shots. It is just bad advice as a general rule. There may be certain cases where it would be acceptable but not as a general statement.

Well said!

[quote=batesdc] What my question is what are you all loading up in this gun?(Load Data) Also I was thinking of going with a Nosler Ballistic tip or a partition 180gr. What is your thoughts and experience. Im a little patial to the BT as it is a boat tail and has done me great on my 6.5/06. But how does it work on moose and bear(Brown)? Any advice and suggestions are a great help.

I have no loading experience with this round. I have only shot my father-in-laws BDL 300RUM with factory rounds. But, just in case you do not have any loading data, you can go to Noslers website, WWW.nosler.com

I don't think you could do much better than with a 200 gr partition. But, as Tjkanavel said, an accubond ("a tough ballistic tip") is a good compromise. The 200 gr accubond should do better than the 180 at the high velocities of the RUM, especially at closer ranges.

I have been shooting a 300 rum for 2 years and do all my own hand loading. I have found that the partions tend to work a little better than the boatail bullets. Hodgons Retumbo powder is what I found to be the ticket. You might give that a try and see how it works. I shoot a 200 gr bullet with 84.5 gr of powder. It does a number on elk and deer with plenty of power to spare.

I punched a grizz at an angle through the heart and lungs and shattered his out side shoulder blade with a 180 swift scirroco out of the ultra. The bear took off on a sprint for the trees three wheeling it with no sign of slowing down. After I found and skinned the bear there were so many pieces of the bullet scattered around it looked like he had been plugged with a shoutgun. After evaluating the performance of the bullet and shooting several bears since with the TSX's I would never look back nothing since has taken more than a step or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I have hunted with MARV1 and he hits what he is looking at. This year I shot my 3-4 Y.O. moose with my .375 Weatherby at maybe 50 feet, the bullet entered near the rear of the left side (it was running away from me and I wanted to reach the heart), the bullet entered, destroyed three ribs, sent frags into the lung shredding it, it hung its head and dropped after continuing to run another 50 feet. I was truly disappointed.
    Disappointed??? Very rarely do heart/lung shots drop animals in their tracks. You had a well placed kill shot! What's to be disappointed about? I've blown deer hearts to dog food and they still run 40 yards or so. The only way to consistently drop an animal in its tracks is to hit the central nervous system. On that subject, I agree with the above poster who suggested that those shots are generally irresponsible. I've been the guy who hit the lower jaw. Not a pretty sight.

Wink Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    If you were to post this in the Reloading section you will get alot more info. I had a RUM for 2 years and really likes it alot, unfortuneatly my shoulder couldnt take the beating any more. You will have better luck shooting the 200 graiin bullets rather then the 180 grainers. The RUM's all seem to like "heavy for caliber" bullet weights for some reason. As far as which bullet, I would stay away from the B-Tip at those velocities. It would explode on impact. You could comprimise and choose the Accubond, which is identical to the B-Tip but is better built and will penetrate more. I personally would choose the 200gr Barnes TSX with some Retumbo and call it good. I wouldnt be afraid of anything that crawls in the woods with that combo.Good luck.

Tim
    I don"t own one but did set up, and sight in a friends gun, Remington LSS 700 300 RUM , 26 IN. barrel, with diffrent remington factory ammo, Premium, stuff. I found the gun nice to shoot, and like Tim said the gun loved 200 grain bullets. The 180"s did not do so well, but with the 200"s that gun was a machine!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

No head shots for me either. I have seen a couple of deer with that sad hanging jaw before. One was a small 6pt that I came across almost a week after deer season had ended. I was rabbit hunting at the time. It could hardly get up to run away. I ended its suffering with a 12gr with #6 shot. Another time I had a small doe run by on opening day of rifle season with a low hanging jaw. I ended up punching my doe tag with that deer. I will never take a shot at an animals head. Why shoot at a such a small and rabidly moving target when you could take the heart/lung shot. I look at it this way, which target has better odds of a direct hit, an orange swingin on a string or a basketball sitting still. At any range and any condition I will always put my money on the basketball. I don't care how good a shot you are the headshot is always too risky. A lot of that animals head is a wounding zone.

Default 200 Accubond for me

I shot my LSS this weekend with several different loads. I've decided the 200 Accubond is what I will load, with Retumbo. I had good results with this bullet from my 30-06, so I suspect terminal performance will be no problem on appropriate animals (not my first choice for brown/griz). My gun shot these bullets quite accurately, moreso than either 165 or 180 TSX.

Chris

Default Barnes

I am a huge barnes fan, myself for my 300 RUM I use 180 GR XLC's, I honestly don't think that they make those anymore but I still have a few unloaded and loaded. The bullets are an X bullet coated with a dry lube which decreases pressure and increases velocity. I won't give a powder measurement cause it's on the high end of the spectrum but I got there by slowly building it and my gun has saftly handled it in any weather and elevation. Those bullets like higher velocity's but are very accurate and don't fragment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I shot my LSS this weekend with several different loads. I've decided the 200 Accubond is what I will load, with Retumbo. I had good results with this bullet from my 30-06, so I suspect terminal performance will be no problem on appropriate animals (not my first choice for brown/griz). My gun shot these bullets quite accurately, moreso than either 165 or 180 TSX.

Chris
    I was not aware that barnes made a 165 TSX......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast