Thread: Garmin 296 vs 295

Default Garmin 296 vs 295

Hi all purchasing my champ today and want a nice color GPS. The 295 I can get new for $500 and the 296 for $1200 for $900. Is it worth the cost difference for for the average joe. Thanks for inputs

Terry

I've tried both. They're both nice units. The 296, I believe, has a little faster processer. Also, the 296 has a terrain warning feature and an instrument readout with a turn and bank indicator which could help a guy stay rightside up in a pinch. I'm planning to get a 296 when my Aeronca Sedan is flying again.

If you can get along without color, there's also the 196. It has the turn and bank readout and map data available but no terrain warning.....Louis

Default Bought the 296

I got a used garmin 296 out of florida for $900 and totally love it. You can do like anything with it. The terrain feature is almost useless, unless there is only like one small hill in kansas. It is way to sensitive, if you could adjust the settings a little more would me nice. Love all the frequency and runway information it offers.

Terry