Thread: Where to Buy Outboard Jet Foot Intake Fins & SS Impellers

Default Where to Buy Outboard Jet Foot Intake Fins & SS Impellers

Where is the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get intake fins and SS impellers?

www.craigslist.org is the cheapest place for impellers and maybe the fins but they are not on there all that often.

I don't know about price comparisons, but any boat shop that sells jet units will be able to order fins. It's probably all the same, since the fin sets all come from Outboard Jets in Calif.
    I agree about craigslist for the impeller, if you are just replacing an existing impeller proven to work on your boat. Otherwise, I'd go to a shop.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

A-1 propeller shop in Anchorage has a very knowledgeable staff and have fair prices of you want to buy one right now. They can also rebuild your current impeller for a reasonable fee.

If they can't help you I know Wooldridge Boats in Seattle, WA came up with the stainless impeller and will be able to give you a hand.

Thumbs up

Greatland Welding in Palmer carries that stuff as well.... Give'em a call...

Default make your own

I do not know the cost of factory made grates, but have to believe they cost more than bare stock. The grates are stainless steel. If you have some basic tools they are not that hard to make. If needed, buy one for a template and build the rest.
    I have a buddy building stomp grates for outboards. They work pretty well. Might be an idea if you are already into the expense of replacing the grates.
    Last edited by Ak River Rat; 10-05-2007 at 15:05. Reason: forgot some words

Default Greatland welding

Greatland welding in Palmer has the best deal. I just replaced my foot, the grates, pins, impeller, etc... and they were less expensive than Marita and Burkeshore.
    BK

Professional Marine on Potter. Mike is a wealth of knowlege also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I have a buddy building stomp grates for outboards. They work pretty well. Might be an idea if you are already into the expense of replacing the grates.
    Ak River Rat, how goes it? Thanks again for your tip on getting the pins out of my jet unit so I could get the gate welded! The boats all packed up for winter but the season never really ends does it? I'd like to know if your referenced buddy builds these stomp grates just for friends or commercially and what he sells them for? I might be interested in one.

Tony

Default grates and snow

Good morning,
    I am growling this bright and snowy morning that my boat has the prop, not jet on, therefore I won't use it in low water, and it snowed, so now when I go to put her to bed for the winter I have to deal with that too.
    Was hoping for another couple of runs. Today some friends are going to help retrieve a sunken airboat on the Tanana so was hoping to run down and watch, which translates to help.
    The guy building the stomp grates does welding as a sideline. He is very good. Good enough that he builds custom bulk fuel tanks for aircraft and other special projects. He is the same guy that built the rack on top of my boat, and more than likely he will build my saddle tanks too. (Maybe some day I'll get my daughter to take pictures and post them as I am too challenged for such an endeavor.)
    He is located in Fairbanks. I will be giving him my jet foot probably next week so he can retrofit the stomp part into it. Then it is a matter of him building the brackets and handle to fit each motor. If you live out of town he could copy a motor at one of the dealers I guess. The guy is a perfectionist as well as likes to spend time with the family, so do not expect overnight service. I.E. don't give it to him May 1 for a May 10 spring bear hunt. I will talk with him about price and forward that information to you.
    I assume all went well with your jet unit and you had fun with the boat this year. I ended up with only 70 hours or so on mine.

Red face

Whitetail1der; I have one of the stomp grates on my outboard.
    They work wonders on leaves and other trash, not so good on rocks. If you have only a rock or two, they work, but if you get into the kind of messes I get in, the rocks jam it up to the point that you can't kick it hard enough to get them out.

AK River Rat, thanks for the input. If I were to go with the stomp grate I'd give your friend plenty of time (all winter) to work it. With work and all, I only managed 20-30 hours tops this year but I learned a lot in that time frame. I hope the boat recovery went well and safely.

Snowtigger, thank you for your perspective. I was hoping for something that would work with rocks. After my experience on the Ivashak this year, of which I became an expert at bending my fins and removing my impeller, I was hoping a stomp grate would take some of the hassle out of it.

As most are propably thinking, the best way to get rocks out of the foot is to stay out of the rocks!! I agree but it's not always possible.

I beat my foot up real good this year and thought I'd have to buy a new one. Thank God for great neighbors who can weld. I'm still learning this jet boat stuff. Paying your dues doesn't come cheap in this activity!!

Default stomp grate

The other stomp grates I have seen all have short handles. You have to lean out of the boat to use it. Mike extends the handle up higher and makes brackets to secure it to the motor.
    I could see where if a guy got in a lot of rocks the stomp grate may not have the leverage to remove them with the short handle. I am willing to give it a try on the long handle mod. I rarely get in the rocks that bad, so most of the time I feel it would work really well.

Whitetail & all, I happen to be the friend of RiverRats that builds those stomp grates. This is certainly not any kind of Ad promoting the grate, however use and observation as to its function shows multiple benefits and I know for a fact that if I never built another one for anyone I'd keep one handy for any outboard jet I had in the stable. Here's why.
    The grate is 100% stainless steel, much tougher than the original grates of many of the jet feet still in service, which have mild steel grate bars. That said, all of the new feet I've seen in the past couple of years have stainless grate bars in them. I don't know how long Outboard Jet has been installing the stainless bars, just my observation.
    I have to believe that with increase toughness (read that as bending resistance) a certain percentage of the rocks encountered will not even get stuck in the grate. Those that do will most likely not go in as far. You will always have the ones that have eyes on tearing up your impeller that will get through, wish they could be avoided, but alas, if we run in skinny water, we will pay the price eventually.
    I do have to agree with Tigger- some of those nastys can and will jam up the grate and make it hard if not impossible to open it, yet fortunately I have not had that happen. I guess I just havn't met the right rock yet that will jam mine up. It's like river running and hitting rocks-there's those that have and those that will.
    The differences between the Outboard Jet bars and the ones I make are one of width, as in how far below the bottom of the foot they protrude. Factory bars are flush with the aluminum or slightly recessed. The others (mine) protrude far enough below that, coupled with the moveable bars and the attached additional metal, they provide a lot of protection for the bottom of the foot, pretty much like a skid plate.
    As for the remainder of the junk that causes a guy grief with a jet like grass, leaves, sticks, and anything else that always seems to find its way in there (high water junk and the like) my lifting-up-the-motor-and-picking-out-crap days are long over aside from the occasional stubborn whatever that will just not go away and you have to pull over. Got tired of hanging over the transom with a screwdriver etc.- we've all been there, ya' think?
    That's my 2 bits, and this is my first post on this forum, just signed up a couple of days ago. Saw the ?, had a look. Hope some of this helps, PM me if you have any other ??, Regards to all, Oz

I want one of those stomp grates for my outboard jet, how do I get one and how much do they cost. thanks, Cory

Default grab a number

I have been beating Mike about the head and shoulders to work on my stomp grate. Now that winter time is here he has no excuses. You can be number 2, right behind me.
    He hasn't given me a price yet. Kind of scary, but then I know where he lives.

can someone post a picture of the stomp grate on the outboard, I sure would like to see it. thanks

Rhino & all, sorry I havn't responded before this, besides PM, some late nights etc have taken their toll.
    First, allow me to bust Rats chops (did that today @ work) for stirring up the hornets nest. Rest assured this is all tongue-in-cheek and it is he that has yet to darken my door with jet foot in hand for me to begin the installation of his grate. That said, I will see what my computer illiterate self can do about posting a couple of pics of the grate on my boat. Taking the pics is no problem, making them do what is needed after could be. I'm new to this site plus have really never posted any pics on any site (never needed to I guess). Any help is appreciated. I really don't want to violate any site guidelines with regard to advertising so havn't posted any pricing here either, just replied to PMs. If no one has a problem with a price post I'll do it, just need to know how anyone feels about it, especially an administrator. Thanks and I'll wait for some replies, Oz

Default little girl

Hey Oz, my little girl can help you with the computer stuff. you can take her services off of my bill.
    I haven't come by yet cause I thought you were out of beer. Or do you expect me to bring that too?
    Seriously though folks, this guy may not be much of wiz around the computer, but he can weld like nobodies business. Just to brag on him a bit, I hope to see some input in other forums due to his vast experience in Alaska outdoors and shooting. He is an asset to this site. Now just where is that darn jet foot of mine anyway?

Default Intake fins

I would check out Dewey's Cook Inlet in Anchorage. I've bought two boats, one motor, and some other eccessories from them and have been treated very well and the prices are competitive. I'm also going to have them send up some intake fins for my new set-up.

Christi