Thread: Chitna Update

Smile Chitna Update

Has anyone been there the last couple of weeks?

Thanks!
    Rich

I was there on the weekend just before the 4th of July. It was a little slow through Monday afternoon, at least for most folks there (below the bridge). I did OK in the subsistence area, but it took me quite a lot of hours. I imagine that it was slow for the folks below the bridge and toward the canyon, but at least salmon move faster through there. Some people were catching their limit, but it was taking a few hours.

Default Silvers

When do the silvers start rollin up the copper??. I wnet down last year and slayed reds... 60 fish in and hour and a half and I wanted to change it up this year and nail some of those silvers this year.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Silvers

For my 02 cents worth don't bother with the silvers at Chitina. I've dipped some a couple of different years in September and they didn't hold a candle to the reds. I suspect they were not going too far up the Copper and were headed to the Tebay River or another close by spawing river. The flesh was soft and not nearly as good as the reds.

Now that I've posted this someone else will probably say that they didn't experience that but in the two years that I have dipped silvers that was my experience.