Thread: Jetboil cannisters

Default Jetboil cannisters

This will show my inexperience with stoves.

Did I read somewhere that you can attach a MSR stove to a Jetboil cannister?

I have a Jetboil, but want to get another stove for a back up and try and use the same canisters, without the expense of another Jetboil (they are a whole bunch dearer in oz than they are there)

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Yes, MSR canister stoves can use the Jetboil canisters.

Thanks for that Jim.

oz

Default MSR Windpro

I recently got a Windpro. Awesome stove and it uses the MSR iso-butane cannisters. The threading is the same as the Jetboil, as Jim told you, so you can use them interchangably. I had a pocket rocket (MSR) but the windpro has tons more support, can be used with a wind shield since the cannister is not mounted below the stove, and it only weighs 6 ounces. Great stove!

I got the prequel to the Windpro. Bought it used on eBay for $20. Great stove! I was using a Wisperlite, but got tired of not being able to simmer (I like to cook), and didn't want a stove sitting way up on top of the can. It's a very good design, and simmering with the windscreen makes cooking fun again.

Default I agree...

Jim, I too had a Whisperlite International. I hated preheating the thing, and as you say, it is hard to do anything but boil water. Two speeds, wide open and off. Great for what it is designed to do though. Rock solid design. I also like to cook more at camp than I used to. That is why I got the Pocket Rocket. But the small support arms and the fact that it all sat on top of the cannister made for a top heavy set up that I could not use a wind screen on. In NW Alaska, that was a crappy combination. So now I am on my third MSR stove. The Windpro seems to be the perfect set up. I can cook slow, fast, it is stable, and I can use a wind screen. Finally. It only took me 3 years to get it right. Ha ha ha.

Sounds like a Windpro is a good choice to acquire as a back up to, or as well as, or instead of, the Jetboil, as the situation allows.

oz