Thread: 2nd run on the Kasilof?

Default 2nd run on the Kasilof?

Does anyone know about a 2nd run of kings on the Kasilof? I've always fished the first run, but someone told me that the 2nd run has bigger fish and their not easily caught from the shore. True?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak
    Does anyone know about a 2nd run of kings on the Kasilof? I've always fished the first run, but someone told me that the 2nd run has bigger fish and their not easily caught from the shore. True?
    True on both counts.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default OK, since its true...

that they're bigger and not EASILY caught from shore, are they catchable at all, say, with a side planer?

They are catchable, but just like on the Kenai, the odds go way up if you fish from a boat.... CORRECTION.... the right boat.

Check out the gal on the right half of this web-page:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Default Yes but...

... unfortunately a 3-$4,000 drift boat is not in the cards for me. Owning one boat for the inlet is about all I can manage. So shore fishing is it for me. That was a cool web site though, and I gleaned some info from their 2nd run page. Thanks!

The other alternative is to consider hiring a guide.

Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits is a member on this board. You could send him a PM to see if he or one his compadres still has an open seat in the next few weeks.
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    Check out the gal on the right half of this web-page:

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I was fishing from shore there today and they are there, but less common. I missed about a 25-lb'er and a guy caught a 23 lb. shiny one. I landed a couple and missed a few others. A guy I fish with out there, in his 70's, has fished there 27 years and his biggest king ever was 37 lbs. fyi

Smile

Thanks for the recommmendation Doc

He's actually quite on track though. The Kasilof is a far different river in the month of July vs. the early portion of the season. Far more important to undertstand travelling lanes and the effects of tide timing / height on these lanes to catch fish on a regular basis.

Avg. size of the fish is about 25-28 pounds for these fish ... 40+ are pretty common and about once every 5 days, we'll see a 50-60+ make it to the boat.

Yes, far larger than their first-run cousins. A tough show from the bank though, since many of the primary lanes are opposite from public access areas.

Those fishing the CC confluence area will find a few here and there, but many of the fish still coming up that side are later CC fish, which are still enetering the creek at this time and bumping the escapement counts up

Which by the way, as of 3-4 days ago had met minimum goals with more fish yet to cross, so the extra retention day didn't knock us out of the 1st run goal window

Best timing is the lat three weeks of July ... my boat is full for 2006 and 2007 at this point. Some of the other fellas might have a few stray seats here and there, but no open boats anytime this year that I'm aware of. You can always call Corey in the office and she can check with the regular July to see what might be left or opened via cancels ... there's always a few.

Good luck!