Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Ship Creek Drainage Moose Hunt

  1. #1

    Default Ship Creek Drainage Moose Hunt

    Anyone back from that yet? How was it? I know there's a trail that goes in there at least a little ways, would it be possible to use one of those (not sure what they're called) two wheeled carts that you put a whole deer on? You'd only be able to put one moose quarter on it? Still a lot of walking but maybe save your back? I don't know?

  2. #2
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    I have not participated in the hunt but I have hiked in the area. It is steep terain to get into and is difficult enough to hike much less with a moose quater. If you can find a horse or pack mule that would be you best bet.

  3. #3

    Default horses

    No horses allowed, gonna have to do it the hard way.

  4. #4
    Member jakec5253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    381

    Default ship creek

    Yesterday i helped a friend pack out a 57" bull from about 4 miles in. We used one of the otter meat wagons from Sportsmans, but took of the tongue of the trailer, and added 2X4's to it, making a makeshift rickshaw. We got it all in one trip, but there were 8 people helping, and it took about 6 hours. I am not sure if horses are allowed or not, but we saw one guy doing some scouting from horse back, and another hunter walking out to go get his horse to pack out his moose.

    The terrain was okay in spots, but a lot of mud holes, some of it ankle to knee deep, and the trail is almost all downhill on the way in, Which was nice on the way in, not so nice on the way out.

    Jake

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    No horses allowed, gonna have to do it the hard way.
    Yes, horses are allowed. The only restriction on horses is that they may not be used from the South Fork Eagle River trailhead. They put in a temporary restriction there because they didn't want people riding up and over the low pass between S. Fork and Ship Creek because of the potential for tundra damage. Horses are allowed and encouraged from the Arctic Valley, Indian, or Bird Creek trailheads.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley trash.....and proud of it.
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Been about 6 years since I have been up the arctic valley prtion but if thats the area your going to, I use to hike past the military side of the ski area and where the old lodge is/was you will see a trail (look close) and you will side hill around the valley. its a real short distance til you get off the military land and get onto state. Range control on ft rich can give you a map for the boundaries.

    I liked it cuz I could glass the valley. Seen a brownie take down a cow and found the 2 calves in the woods. that was a mess. Alot of cats up there also. Much easier than the trail plus you get off base much faster.

  7. #7

    Default correction

    My mistake, I was aware of the south fork restriction.

  8. #8

    Default

    I took a bull in there opening day, 5 miles in and 1,700 feet vertical below the pass. No way to wheel it out that I could find, especially with a 20% slope up to the pass. I don't mind packing moose, so the two hard days that friends and I took to get it out was worth it to me.
    For hunters unfamiliar with packing moose over mountains, I'd suggest taking a loaded pack to Ship Creek and walking out prior to shooting a moose there. The mountain feels a whole lot steeper when you are loaded with meat and hiking up it.
    The troopers are really active, with supercub and chopper in that area, so expect to be checked. (When they drop a chopper on you, they won't offer to pack your meat, either. I asked.)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fricking Texas - temporary
    Posts
    336

    Default Pictures and Stories

    Anyone have any pictures and/or stories of their Ship Creek hunting this year? I'd like to see 'em.

  10. #10
    Member Bear Buster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    EAGLE RIVER, ALASKA
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors View Post
    I took a bull in there opening day, 5 miles in and 1,700 feet vertical below the pass. No way to wheel it out that I could find, especially with a 20% slope up to the pass. I don't mind packing moose, so the two hard days that friends and I took to get it out was worth it to me.
    For hunters unfamiliar with packing moose over mountains, I'd suggest taking a loaded pack to Ship Creek and walking out prior to shooting a moose there. The mountain feels a whole lot steeper when you are loaded with meat and hiking up it.
    The troopers are really active, with supercub and chopper in that area, so expect to be checked. (When they drop a chopper on you, they won't offer to pack your meat, either. I asked.)
    GOOD JOB! you earned every ounce of it too!

  11. #11

    Default Chopper?

    The troopers checked you from a helicopter? Dang. Tell us more about that. That had to effect the moose in the area.

  12. #12

    Default

    They were flying low over Ship Creek, dropping in on the chopper-accessible camps to check hunters. They circled me a few times as I was packing meat, managed to put down in a valley nearby, and checked my tag, license, etc. It was mid-afternoon, so the moose were likely bedded down anyway, but I suspect it didn't help the moose hunting any.

  13. #13
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    I have a buddy who was spotting a ~70 moose back there in 2001 they were gonna cut class and go take it on september 11 understandibly they never got around to it (as they thought someone was gonna attack the water treatment facility)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  14. #14

    Default Ship Creek Shut out 01?

    I hunted that drainage on the 12th of sept 01. Yes there were closures on the Arctic Valley road understandibly, but if you were to go up the hiland road and get to the south side of the creek its an easy ascent of 1500? to the ship creek side where I brought out my 62" bull. Not a Problem for a pair of solid mules. The lack of pressure was nice that year, sad to see it go.
    Pick A Spot

  15. #15
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    I wasn't a hunter at the time, and alas my friend was kinda stupid (and bad at reading a map)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I went on this hunt. Hiked in from trailhead you get to through Eagle River. We side hilled for 8 miles south until it opened into a big valley. We camped overlooking this valley. Buddy had a shot but missed. We ended up meeting some guys on horse, they said we were crazy for thinking we could get the meat out. Glad we didnt get a moose or it would have taken an extra day to pack it out. 20+ miles in and out. My brother and buddy tried to go voer the mountain range and said they almost died trying to side hill a ice cliff!

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ike1234 View Post
    I went on this hunt. Hiked in from trailhead you get to through Eagle River. We side hilled for 8 miles south until it opened into a big valley. We camped overlooking this valley. Buddy had a shot but missed. We ended up meeting some guys on horse, they said we were crazy for thinking we could get the meat out. Glad we didnt get a moose or it would have taken an extra day to pack it out. 20+ miles in and out. My brother and buddy tried to go voer the mountain range and said they almost died trying to side hill a ice cliff!
    Darn good thing your buddy missed or you would still be packing. Typicaly a moose is 8 pack loads if one can carry a whole hind quarter, that would put you each at 100 miles for that animal, far more than a days packing ! Keep that in mind next time you go after a moose.

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default Looking for pack animals for Ship Creek hunt

    I am looking for pack horses or mules for my hunt the last 10 days of September.
    Does anyone know who either rents horses or will pack a camp in and out for hire.
    Thanks!

  19. #19
    alvina80
    Guest

    Default Battlefield 3 cd key Limited Edition

    Battlefield 3 cd key Limited Edition

    Hunters could get their first chance in more than 20 years to bag a moose on the Hillside above Anchorage under a state-proposed plan that comes before the Alaska Board of Game in March.

  20. #20

    Default

    I'd love to get a chance at this guy with my bow...Attachment 52181
    Quote Originally Posted by alvina80 View Post
    Battlefield 3 cd key Limited Edition

    Hunters could get their first chance in more than 20 years to bag a moose on the Hillside above Anchorage under a state-proposed plan that comes before the Alaska Board of Game in March.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •