Thread: OK a question from the newb

Default OK a question from the newb

I've been in Alaska for a year now. I see y'all talking about permits. I looked on the ADF&G site for info about these Draw and Tier II permits. What are they? Do I need one to go hunting? I am wanting to go hunting in late August/early September for a brown/ black bear. If I go hunting and didn't win a permit, does this mean I'm illegally hunting? I thought it was just a matter of paying $25 for a permit and $25 for a tag. I just want to do the right thing.Thanks

BigH - Welcome! You'll find that this is a great place to ask questions - there's a lot of years of experience represented by the members here, so feel free to ask any questions, especially as your hunt approaches.

First of all, you don't need a drawing permit or a Tier II permit to hunt. There are certain areas where you do need a special permit to hunt certain species, but there are also lots of hunts open to anyone with a hunting license and a harvest tag, which can be picked up over the counter at Wal-Mart. My first bit of advice to you would be to go pick up a copy of the hunting regulations. Wal-Mart has them, as does Fred Meyer, the F&G offices, etc. Spend a few hours looking them over, and then come here with your more specific questions.

As for black bear hunting, you don't need a special tag at all, just a regular hunting license (assuming you're a resident of at least a year?) After you kill one, though, you have to take it to the Fish & Game offices to be "sealed", which basically is where they measure it and attach a tag showing that it's legal. As for brown bear, in some areas you need the $25 tag, whereas in other areas you do not. The free copy of the regulations that I mentioned earlier will spell this out in great detail for you.

Drawing and Tier II permits are usually for popular hunts where the animal population can't match the desired harvest. Hunts like the Dall Sheep around Anchorage are very desirable and very accessible, so they limit hunting numbers through a lottery system. The next application period for goat and sheep hunting is coming in November, so by then you should have the details figured out if you stick around these boards.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started. Good luck with your hunt planning!

-Brian

Brian, Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have researched the regs a bit online, but didn't know they had a hard copy at the stores. I did read about needing a pernit and tag in certain areas and not in others. I just wasn't up to speed on the Tier II permits and drawings. I will be deploying in the fall, so I won't even bother registering for a drawing this year. I will stop by and pick up a copy of the regs.....it's easier to read than online. Thanks again.Wade