Thread: Opinions are like...

Default Opinions are like...

gold!
    I'm looking at a used '06 Arctic Cat M7 153".
    Is this a good machine for a beginner?
    Is a good machine?

Thanks

depends....what do you want to do with it. yea it is a good sled good power, reliable but made for mountain riding

I want it for trail riding and general getting around in the winter.
    Nothing radical.

Thumbs down Too long....

I wouldn't recommend a seriously long track for a beginner, it will be really frustrating. Depending on how big 'o person you are... the 700 can be manageable but don't go with anything over a 144" until you have some miles logged. A 144 will go more places than you will if you don't have much experience. Then as you progress start looking at what changes you would like to make in your next sled.

The 153 will just be a hog to handle without experience. I've been riding for over 20 years and still don't care for the really big ones. My main sled is a 136" 700 RMK. I can really throw it around and it rarely lets me down. Only drawback is that I have to wait for my buddies with the BIG sleds to break the trail over the hill before I can make it sometimes.

Also, the shorter track machines are MUCH more fun to jump!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post

Also, the shorter track machines are MUCH more fun to jump!
    Darn kids jumping their machines all over the place.

The M7 was cat's flagship. Too bad they decided to get rid of it. I will agree a shorter track may be better for a new rider.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Darn kids jumping their machines all over the place.

The M7 was cat's flagship. Too bad they decided to get rid of it. I will agree a shorter track may be better for a new rider.
    I'm really glad they got rid of it because I love my M1000!!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GR View Post
    Opinions are like....gold!
    LOL Great title for your post

Gotta agree with AKMud. Although the new sleds that have these enormous tracks handle surprisingly well, it will be more frustrating if you are trying to trail ride with a bunch of buddies riding 121's or 136's. If you wanna buy that and trade for an '06 short track, let me know!!

I have to agree with these guys, the M7 is not the best one out there for what you want to do. Mountain sleds tend to be a little harder to control until you get used to using the throttle to get you around. I do have to admit though, when I was looking for a sled, I was going to get a Mountain Cat 600, but I had a buddy that talked me into getting the 800 and I have not been disappointed. The first year it was a little too much sled for me, but since then I have gotten a little better riding and wish I had the 1000 now. I can't complain though....mine is paid for and still in good condition. You might want to look at a cross-over sled like the crossfire or possibly just get an F-series. You can trail ride a mountain sled, but you have to have enough snow out there to keep the hifax cool. They are a little more tricky to control and are more tippy than a trail sled.

Default Newbie needin' help!!!

OK, so I did the trade (and came out VERY well on it).
    I'm going to head down to Summit/Paxson in November and give it a try.
    I've ridden dirtbikes and ATVs for years.
    Any other advice?

Any recommendations on a good used sled to look out for for general trail riding/hunting/fishing with? If there's something posted somewhere, please post the link.

Any links to sites with more info on snowmachines?

Thanks very much!!!

snowest.com also has some good info on their forums. Problem with right now is people aren't riding yet, so they don't go to the forums very much until they have some stories to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ob_1jr View Post
    snowest.com also has some good info on their forums. Problem with right now is people aren't riding yet, so they don't go to the forums very much until they have some stories to tell.
    Or questions on how to fix stuff....Like me!

Believe me, lots of posting going on right now. I go to snowest, hcs, snowmobilefanatics daily.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!