Thread: Alaska FNAWS

Default Alaska FNAWS

Greetings,

I'm Wayne Heimer, retired ADF&G Dall sheep biologist, National FNAWS Board member and current president of Alaska FNAWS. I'm not electronically astute, but I've heard there's a bunch of discussion on this forum about Alaska FNAWS. There's lots to tell, but I'll hold off on going further till I've read what is out there.

Will respond after I have done my homework.

Wayne

Default Thanks Wayne

Wayne, thanks for logging on here. Here is the link to the thread on AKFNAWS:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=9622

Thumbs up Welcome Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heimer View Post
    Greetings,

I'm Wayne Heimer, retired ADF&G Dall sheep biologist, National FNAWS Board member and current president of Alaska FNAWS. I'm not electronically astute, but I've heard there's a bunch of discussion on this forum about Alaska FNAWS. There's lots to tell, but I'll hold off on going further till I've read what is out there.

Will respond after I have done my homework.

Wayne
    Welcome to the forums Wayne. I look forward to "hearing" from you here.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Try to stick around here a little longer than you did the last. Look forward to reading up on your insight.

Default Thanks Bushrat

Heimer here. Mark, thanks for the link to what I posted yesterday in some other place...should have gone here. Maybe I'll learn this system if I stick with it...maybe not. In any case, here's (I hope) what I should have posted here:

Wayne
    ------------------------

I think I may have read most of what's on the FNAWS thread. There were two pages of conversation. Where to start?

Alaska FNAWS Board: In compliance with the Chapter's bylaws, a reform slate of candidates ran at the annual election meeting last year. About half of them were elected. They were for moving from a project-driven model (where the Chapter waits for somebody to think up good projects to support) to a more pro-active model. There were, naturally, some difficulties with the change that slowed things down and made it look like the new Board wasn't doing anything. Getting things moving was a lot more difficult than you would have thought. If you're interested in this history, please email a request for a hard copy o the Feb. 2007 THE RAM to <alaskafnaws@hotmail.com>.

If you're a member of Alaska FNAWS or National, you should also be receiving a publication called "The Conservation Connection." It comes from National, and has had much of the Chapter news in it. I apologize to those who use this forum for not staying in touch with the alaskafnaws@hotmail.com email address as I should have. When we announced it to the members in the Feb. 2007 ram, I checked it frequently, but there was no traffic for months. When summer came, I simply made other things a higher priority and didn't check it. I promise to do better now that I know there is interest.

What has Alaska FNAWS been doing since the Board changed? If you didn't know: We got off the ADF&G "black list" for not reporting on a previous governor's permit we raffled. We reestablished our non-profit status with the IRS (which had been lapsed for several years) so any donations or contributions are now, again, legally tax deductable. We have established communication with ADF&G on sheep matters. (It isn't going well because we oppose the changes ADF&G and the Board made in the Northern Chugach--more on that later). We changed the bylaws and conducted a mail-in election for new directors to give the members a greater voice in who they would like to lead the Chapter. We joined the Anchorage Advisory Committee in a proposal to scrap the highly questionable "sealing/plugging program" because it serves no real function (we didn't succeed). We have reestablished our "life member trust bank account" because it shouldn't have been liquidated when the Boards changed. We secured a meeting (thanks to Steve Flory) with Lt. Governor, Sean Parnell to help him understand the FNAWS mission and share our perspective on wildlife initatives. We also told Mr. Parnell that we oppose a gas line reroute from the designated corridor through the Talkeetna Mountains between Wasilla and Palmer--where plans call for excluding hunting if that pipeline is built there (a complex issue). We also testified in opposition to the permit system and "any ram" bag limits ADF&G proposed for the Northern Chugach (another complex issue--I'll try to comment on in that "thread" once I get the hang of this forum). We lost. Then we partnered with AOC to request reconsideration from the Board of Game on what we considered were valid and relevant issues. The Board did not agree to reconsider and would not place that item on its agenda for this meeting. Neither Rod Arno (of the AOC) or I are pleased or satisfied with this seemingly arbitrary decision by the Board. We are considering our options on this topic. Additionally, as President and a member of the National Board, I have essentially "contracted for the Chapter" to revise the Chapter Charter from National as model for other Chapters as we try to bring the Chapters closer together with National. What National gets is a model charter to work with, and what Alaska FNAWS gets enough money to restore our life member trust and hold a fundraiser. That fundraiser will be as advertised. We plan to get a "RAM" out soon with more details. So, while we haven't been doing some things you might have expected us to do, we have been busy trying to make sheep hunting better and put sheep back on the mountains in Alaska...and to keep sheep hunters on the mountains as well.

One more thing: Yes, Steve Flory is on our board. He was duly appointed by the former Board to fill a vacancy. Yes, Mr. Flory is a convicted felon. Everybody in Alaska has had the opportunity to hear this story because ADF&G has "come after him" on that issue with respect to service on the Anchorage Advisory Committee. That's not over. Either this is because the Department sets high moral standards for all its work and employees OR they didn't appreciate Mr. Flory's perspective/activism. I have a hard time seeing this as a credible "moral purity" issue for the Department. For those of you who don't know but are titillated by Mr. Flory's lurid past (I have Steve's permission to share this information), when Steve was young, out of the army, single, and horny (this was almost 15 years ago) he was involved in a consensual sexual relationship with a minor female who represented herself as "of age." When Steve found out, he turned himself in. He paid the price. Part of the price includes a felony conviction on his record (he plead guilty because he was) and all that goes with that. It also includes registration as a "sex offender." So, yes, he is "on that list." Now you know why. In the broad picture, what this suggests to me is that Mr. Flory is honest, perhaps to a flaw (if that's possible). He is also outspoken, and a staunch defender and hard worker for sheep and other wildlife as shown by his service on the Anchorage AC and the FNAWS Board. He can be abrasive. Still, as long as he is not prohibited from service on the FNAWS Board by state regulations or laws or by FNAWS bylaws, he will serve at the pleasure of the Alaska FNAWS voting members. Mr. Flory's military service is at least as interesting as his "criminal record." If you're interested in what defines Mr. Flory, you might look into more of his life than his "criminal" record.

I'll try to find the Northern Chugach permit system/"any ram" thread and bone up on what's been said to see if I can clarify anything there...or I could work on that article for THE RAM which will cover the subject.

One more thing: The Board realizes the Alaska FNAWS website sucks, and is way out of date. It's hard to change because it is in some little-known, archaic web language. We are having it redone and modernized. We are assured by our provider that it will soon be "up."

My apologies for not getting around to "posting" on this forum earlier. I'll try to check in from time to time and let you know what's happening till we get our website working.

Thank you for your patience and persistence if you read this far. Hope to see you at an event in YOUR community before winter ends...particularly if you can't make it to Wasilla on November 17th...5:00 visiting session...meal at 7:00...fun after that. Bring money, please.

Wayne