Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best chronograph

Default Best chronograph

Looking for some member input on which chronograph to purchase. My options are the Pro chrono, Pact or Shooting Chrony. Need some reviews good and bad to make my choice.

I have a Pact and it works! They are a very good company that provides service when needed. This is the only one I have ever used so can not make a comparison. J.

I've had the PACT for several years. It's the only one I've used. It has worked fine for me.

I have used the same Chrony since I bought it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I would look at the CED chronograph. I have an older shooting Chrony that works OK, but isn't near the machine as the CED chronographs. A couple guys at my gun club have the CED units and I really like them.

http://cedhk.com/show.php/Object29

Woody

Thanks to all who replied. I have been wanting a cronograph for 35 years now. Since my birthday is at the end of october I was going to play the birthday card on my wife for a crono when one of my good buddies decided to sell his Ruger no.1 375 H&H 2-7 VX-II with 75 rounds of factory ammo. After I let him talk himself down in price I played the birthday card on him instead and got it all for $600. O well, there's always Christmas .

You can (or used to be able to) get factory refurbed shooting chronies for $40-50 depending on the model. Too cheap not to have one. I eventually killed mine w/ an errant gas check. The downside of shooting chronies as they don't work well when the sun is at a low angle, i.e. in the winter.

Thumbs up PACT experience

I bought my PACT used in 1990. When the internal battery finally stopped taking a charge I called PACT to buy a new one. The told me to send in the whole unit and they would give me a new one despite me not being the orginal owner. Can't beat that!

Default Chrony is POS?

I got a Chrony Master Beta model last month and took it out to the range today to give it a whirl. I had had it out briefly before but had more time today to play with it.

Some of the readings appeared OK but some were way off - about half of what I expected.

The worse part came when I tried simple things like clearing the memory or erasing a string of shots. The instructions were dismal and nothing worked like it was said in the instructions. For instance when I tried to call up a string no. all I could get were 3, 6, and 10- and it only has 6 strings. The interface was rather primitive which is what I should have expected since the instructions were date Sept 99! Chrony doesn't have an online support number and you can't return the dang thing to where you bought it so I guess I'm stuck with it until I can get something better and more modern that works.

Am I being too ctitical of this unit or is it really as bad as it appears? is there somewhere I can go to get some real instructions for using it or do I have to figure out things for myself?

Right now I wouldn't recommend one of these obsolete POS Chronys to anyone.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I got a Chrony Master Beta model last month and took it out to the range today to give it a whirl. I had had it out briefly before but had more time today to play with it.

Some of the readings appeared OK but some were way off - about half of what I expected.

The worse part came when I tried simple things like clearing the memory or erasing a string of shots. The instructions were dismal and nothing worked like it was said in the instructions. For instance when I tried to call up a string no. all I could get were 3, 6, and 10- and it only has 6 strings. The interface was rather primitive which is what I should have expected since the instructions were date Sept 99! Chrony doesn't have an online support number and you can't return the dang thing to where you bought it so I guess I'm stuck with it until I can get something better and more modern that works.

Am I being too ctitical of this unit or is it really as bad as it appears? is there somewhere I can go to get some real instructions for using it or do I have to figure out things for myself?

Right now I wouldn't recommend one of these obsolete POS Chronys to anyone.
    I've got one of them, too. I can understand your frustration.

I never did figger out how to get the recorded info, out of it, because, I can never tell where I'm at in the process. It took a cupla years, at least, before I was able to wipe out all the stuff it had memorized, and I doubt I'd be able to do it again. In other words, it wasn't/isn't very User Friendly, with ME, as the User.

Right now, I record the velocities, that's all I'm interested in, anyway, with a pencil and paper, then turn it off, without saving anything.

I GOT EVEN, with it, though, when it was least expecting it. Actually, I was surprised myself. I put a 357 boolit through it's CNS.

You can email your problems to Chrony and get an answer, also get some better, but not much better, instructions.

You can also, get PARTS, in case you have to take revenge on yours too, and need to get it functioning again.

Beyond that, I've had some sunshine or shade problems a time or two, and had to warm up the Battery when it was VERY cold.

If I knew how another brand worked, and it was friendlier, and comparably priced, I might get another brand of Chronograph.

My other option may be to get a printer, and let it print the data. I should be able to read the paper better than a flashing screen.

I don't know nuthin about other brands of Chronographs. The Lil Chrony is the only one I've owned, and quality wise, it shore ain't no S&W.

BUT, a good Engineer, should be able to make it work with a little more effort, than I was willing to spend on it.

Good Luck.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default More experience with Chrony

I took my Chron down to the range again after printing out the instructions on their website.

Still can't get the dang tning to work correctly - simple things like trying to clear the memory just don't work like the instructions state. I've been dealing with microprocssor based instruments since they first came out in the 1970s but the Chrony stands alone in terrible instructions. Even the infamous Chinese computer manuals make mre sense that the Chrony's.

Then when I am shooting a number of rounds in a string the velocities on the last rounds suddently start decreasing for some reason i have yet to discover.

I can't figure out how they manage to keep selling this obsolete POS. Any store with a reputation to maintain should refuse to carry Chrons junk.

Has anyone figured out how to get these dang things to work?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I got a Chrony Master Beta model last month and took it out to the range today to give it a whirl.

The worse part came when I tried simple things like clearing the memory or erasing a string of shots. The instructions were dismal and nothing worked like it was said in the instructions.

Am I being too critical of this unit or is it really as bad as it appears?
    I have the cheaper Alpha Master model, it works flawlessly. I have a buddy that had to one up me. He bought the Beta, I think it sucks. It's complicated and I need to read the directions every time he brings it out. He gets frustrated so I end up reviewing the manual just to do the simplest things. Clearing previous strings is a pain in the arse.

With the Alpha model you just turn it on and off. It provides a large string count, low, high, average, ES and SD. What more does anyone really need?

Then when I am shooting a number of rounds in a string the velocities on the last rounds suddently start decreasing for some reason i have yet to discover.
    My friends Beta also gives half speed readings for no apparent reason. It also locks up with error codes if you are shooting in the next lane. The percussion seems to confuse it. Once again, my cheaper, simpler Alpha has never failed me.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, hope you get it resolved.

Dang, I don't feel so ignorent now after reading everyone elses problems with the Beta model! I also have the Master Beta, can't figure it out, get mostly errant readings or error codes? Sun seems to really affect it. I know I am getting bad readings because the velocity does not correspond with powder increases when I'm testing loads.

Some examples: 1025fps shooting 5" 1911, 230gr lead ball, and 4.1gr Titegroup. This is a few tenth of grains less than Speer start load that shows 750fps? The other day, mine was reading 1700+fps shooting 240gr LSWC out of 3 different 44 mags using from 7.5-9.5gr of Unique. It was also reading from 1400's-1600's shooting 158gr JHP out of a 4" Ruger GP100 with charges of Win 296 from 15-17gr. I know 17gr is an older max charge for 357 and has been reduced in newer manuals, but my velocities are still hundreds over what the books say leading me to believe my Chrony is not accurate nor reliable. It seems my instrument measures everything high then adds several hundred fps for good measure to make me feel confident that every handgun I have has the fastest barrel ever produced! I regret the waste of hard earned money on a tool I thought I needed. Seems I did just fine for many years just using book data, starting low and working to maximum charge, then settling on the tightest group as my load.

For what its worth, I set mine up as far out as the little phone wire thing will allow to keep the remote readout piece on the bench next to me which I think is what the poor instructions say. Maybe we should all complain to the company and see if the problem can be resolved. For that matter, I bought an extended warranty on mine purchased at Cabela's in Glendale, AZ so maybe I can follow Smitty's lead and send one thru its CNS!

Default You are not alone!

The reviews are full of shooter like you and I that can't figure the dang thing out and/or complain that it doesn't work right. It would appear that most people just use the readings; I can't find anyone that has praised the software features of the unit.

I talked to someone in the store where I purchased it and they said to call for help on Chronies 1-800 number. I'll try that on Tues or Monday if the number connects to Canada.

Still beyond me that they can't get a decent intellegent manual out in the past 13 years they have had to work on it. I'm sure that they have gotten enough compaints.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Dang, I don't feel so ignorent now after reading everyone elses problems with the Beta model! I also have the Master Beta, can't figure it out, get mostly errant readings or error codes? Sun seems to really affect it. I know I am getting bad readings because the velocity does not correspond with powder increases when I'm testing loads.

Some examples: 1025fps shooting 5" 1911, 230gr lead ball, and 4.1gr Titegroup. This is a few tenth of grains less than Speer start load that shows 750fps? The other day, mine was reading 1700+fps shooting 240gr LSWC out of 3 different 44 mags using from 7.5-9.5gr of Unique. It was also reading from 1400's-1600's shooting 158gr JHP out of a 4" Ruger GP100 with charges of Win 296 from 15-17gr. I know 17gr is an older max charge for 357 and has been reduced in newer manuals, but my velocities are still hundreds over what the books say leading me to believe my Chrony is not accurate nor reliable. It seems my instrument measures everything high then adds several hundred fps for good measure to make me feel confident that every handgun I have has the fastest barrel ever produced! I regret the waste of hard earned money on a tool I thought I needed. Seems I did just fine for many years just using book data, starting low and working to maximum charge, then settling on the tightest group as my load.

For what its worth, I set mine up as far out as the little phone wire thing will allow to keep the remote readout piece on the bench next to me which I think is what the poor instructions say. Maybe we should all complain to the company and see if the problem can be resolved. For that matter, I bought an extended warranty on mine purchased at Cabela's in Glendale, AZ so maybe I can follow Smitty's lead and send one thru its CNS!

They are making the Oehler 35P again, it is the best small Chronograph on the market, its big brother the 43PBL is not being made at this time, but they might bring it back again also. the 35 has a built in printer, it averages, collates, and shows extreme spread. Go to the Oehler Research website for all the information. Good Luck

Finally picked up a Pro Chrono and never looked back.
    Even picked up a spare for a good price ($50) at a swap meet but since have passed the savings on to a chrony-less range patron.
    Never needed the spare. Inexpensive and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    They are making the Oehler 35P again, it is the best small Chronograph on the market, its big brother the 43PBL is not being made at this time, but they might bring it back again also. the 35 has a built in printer, it averages, collates, and shows extreme spread. Go to the Oehler Research website for all the information. Good Luck
    I have a 35P I bought about 20 years ago and it has been flawless.

OUCH ! a bit pricey for me, think I'll try the PACT - I had a chrony at one time, I shot it with a .223 and didn't notice the hole until the chrony folks called it to my attention ... sort of embarrassing - for under $100 it worked "OK" albeit somewhat sporadic (not because of the bullet hole, that came later)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast