View Poll Results: would you hunt if you drew a musk ox?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

88 93.62%
  • no

6 6.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musk Ox hunting on Nunivak Island!

Default Musk Ox hunting on Nunivak Island!

Just went on a fall hunt to Nunivak Island. This was one of the greatest hunts I have gone on in my life. Although it seems a little expensive to most I would argue that it is no more expensive than a guided elk hunt in Colorado.

Including taxidermy it only came to around $6K.

I used a transporter to get me out of town and then went in on foot from there. Long story short I took a great Musk Ox!

One thing I do recommend is using a transporter for getting out to the field, and if need be he can arange for packers to help on the way out.

I used Abe David. Although he is not a guide, he very well could be. He and his family were some of the best people I have had the pleasure to meet. Getting ahold of him is really easy by phone (907-827-8512).

The folks on the island are very nice and made my trip worth every penny.
    If you draw this hunt I definately recommend making the journey!
    Sal

Well I bet taxedermy cost what $2.5-3k? Man I want a musk-ox hide for fly tying and making hats, and a sweater. I'd totally hunt that, of course I'll never put in for muskox untill I iiiiiihave enough money that I'd know I'd be able to hunt it finacially, I figure for myself it'd cost about $2k total, and a muskox europeanan mount would look sick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Sal, congratulations. Glad to hear you had a good hunt. Now that you are back quit messing around down at Delta Clearwater silver fishing and go find that DRASH tent for me.

AKPMonkey, 2 K is pretty low for someone coming from outside of BET. You airfare alone from ANC to MYU will be about $700. You'll need a transporter, $2500 and then you can throw in the taxidermy.

I agree with Kusko. The costs add up quick. Abe David is great. This was a once in a lifetime hunt for my partner and myself and won't ever regret or forget it. Congrats on your muskox and the great trip.

Default costs!

Yes it does add up, but nothing that can't be worked around. If you look down in Anchorage you can find taxidermist that will do a shoulder mount for $600 or a half life size for around $1200. Once you start heading north the taxidermists run the price up CRAZY!! I know there is overhead for independant taxidermists, so find a guy/girl who works out of their home and that saves a lot.

Monkey contact me as I saved a bunch of hide and can give some up for fly fishermen...
    Sal

Default when you live there :)

It is cheap when you live there did it the last two years, and will do it again this year, only now I am in Bethel.

That's cheating!!!! Just kidding! I know one thing for sure. I will go back to the island someday. We hunted in a complete white out when we were there and never got to see the craters. I would like to do that and see a little more of the island than the strip of snow between my skis. Anyone draws a permit and needs a partner, I'm in.

Default Question...

Why in gods name would you put in for this (or any) tag if you weren't 100% (or at a minimum 75%) sure you were gonna hunt??!! You are taking that opportunity away from some other person who has done their research and planned to hunt. You may be taking that opportunity from some dad trying to share a great hunt with his son/daughter (like me). I work with folks who routinely draw tags and don't hunt. It just kills me, this mentality. Please help respect other hunters, guys and put in for another hunt you will use or not put in at all for that species. We can all help contribute to each other's successful seasons! This poll should be 100% with no question. Leaving soapbox now........ That one hit a little nerve. Better get back out hunting.

Default If I am not mistaken...

There's only one guide out there, Edward Shavings Jr., He's my wife's nephew's & neices, Uppa...

Default Muskox

I hunted with Ed Shavings in Feb. of '06. Great guy, his son Lincoln was as good of a guy as you can get. I used a guide because of the "unknown" and the vast experience you can recieve from a good guide. Ed has been a guide for years, he has pictures and articles about himself guiding Walrus hunts in the '60's. We traveled all along the East side of the island and looked at 4 different groups of Muskox before we found my bull on the sea ice at Cape Mendenhall. For an island that is basically flat it also is beautiful. They run free range Reindeer on the island the the Artic foxes are as plentiful as rabbits in the mid-west. We got caught in a old fashion blizzard after we had my animal quartered and loaded. What should have taken 2 1/2 hours ended up taking almost 6! The winds was blowing sideways at over 60 mph with snow so thick it was hard to follow the snowmachine in front 5ft! Before the storm we met one of Ed's cousins at their fish camp on the South side. They ended up getting lost in the storm and returned home a few days later.
    One of the most memorable hunts I have done and alot of it was the companionship with ED and Lincoln Shavings. I would reccomend their services anytime

RC

Default Spring Muskox

Drew a tag for this past spring hunt. Had a great time. Used James Whitman as a transporter. First Class.
    Last edited by Sheep Hunter; 03-02-2008 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    AKPMonkey, 2 K is pretty low for someone coming from outside of BET. You airfare alone from ANC to MYU will be about $700. You'll need a transporter, $2500 and then you can throw in the taxidermy.
    Whats MYU? Bethel? I better find a real job before I put in for musk ox
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default MYU

MEKORYUK, only village left on Nunivak, you have alot to learn powder.

Default Yes

I agree with AK-hunt, Why would you put in if you don't plan on hunting. I got drawn in 2005 and hunted with guide Fred Don. I had a great time!!!! The people I met there were very nice. It was a great experience just being able to see the place and hunt there.

Mine's next to me as I type this...life-sized in my trophy room. It's a great hunt, and I've done it 3 times..twice as non-hunter. I've been out there with Charlie Spud and James Whitman.

Both rock....

Can't fathom complaining about the cost, it's a cool hunt and a great trophy...

What do the guides charge and how long should somebody plan for the trip?

Thumbs up Mekoryuk

Give a couple of the guys a call. You can get the ph # from directory or F&G in Bethel. Cost was around $2500 for transporter for hunter, $500 for observer, $200 ea BET/MYK/BET. Alaska Airlines has some great PFD specials going to get from ANC/BET/ANC. Don't forget to tip your host. You are staying in their homes. A truely unique expierence.
    Last edited by Sheep Hunter; 03-02-2008 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    Give a couple of the guys a call. You can get the ph # from directory or F&G in Bethel. Cost was around $2500 for transporter for hunter, $500 for observer, $200 ea BET/MYK/BET. Alaska Airlines has some great PFD specials going to get from ANC/BET/ANC. Don't forget to tip your host. You are staying in their homes. A truely unique expierence.
    The cost from BET/MYU/BET has gone up to $300 round trip. FYI

Default was $308 the last time i flew in May

In May it was $308, now it is probably up around 340 with the way things have been going up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast