Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rex trail info

Default rex trail info

anyone been on the rex in the last week? whats the trail looking like?

We came out on the 26th from an ancilliary trail, and it was a pile of shi! Actually sheared off my wheeler ball hitch mount (3/16" plate), thru cumalative effect only. I can only surmise that "T-Rex" is in all it's bloody glory too-esp. with all the late rain.

I know someone who was there end of season with an Argo.......his words were too deep for wheelers and not enough for the Argo. Many area were about impassable because of water and ruts.

Wait for it to freeze.

Default Just spoke to my buddy...

My buddy was up there for four days last weekend and said that the trail to the first river was pretty nasty. He said that it was as bad as he has ever seen it and that it was difficult when trying to pull a meat wagon. It was a bit better when going solo but still not good. As well he commented that the Totatlanika was very high and sweeping his sportsman 700 sideways...

GOOD LUCK...

IceKing02

When and where would you guys recommend for myself and a friend to go up there and get a cow or two? We both have four-wheelers.

Mid November

Smile Unless you guys went up there real quick...

You're GOING to get caught in the ice jams at the two rivers until they freeze completely. You might be able to get up there this weekend and straddle the ruts/bust through the icy ruts while still getting across the rivers. Otherwise, yup, you're stuck waiting until mid-November to cross easily. And then you are competing with snowmachiners who are WAY smarter than you (this is from the past experience of yours truly, November ATVer...)

Don't forget that:

1) Your 4-stroke engine isn't going to want to start when it is -38degrees...
    2) You have to plan upon spending the night out there camping if you shoot a cow late in the day...and it WILL BE FROZEN SOLID the next morning...
    3) You'll be best served by taking a trailer/sled...
    4) Your shocks will be almost useless until you heat them up enough on the trail that you are not continually bottoming out...this may take 10-15miles...
    5) Your electric fan will freeze solid if you happen to get hit with some water spray. This will cause the fan fuse to blow out when it is called upon to cool the engine at idle. The fan will then not operate. You will watch your engine overheat when it is -38 and wonder what the heck is happening...
    6) Your winch, when it gets wet, will freeze into a solid block of ice. It will then become a 32lb block of useless, cold metal. You will thank your lucky stars (and me) that you brought along an axe and a come-along...
    7) It is still a two hour + run when you are starting from 58miles east of the Clear Sky Lodge...
    8) You HAVE to manage moisture in your boots and gloves efficiently or risk frostbite...
    9) You will never taste a better steak or a better beer than those after you come off of the trail...
    10) You will have EPIC stories to tell!!!

Have fun and be safe. I'm likely to try a run on the Rex this coming weekend so I'll see if you've decided to get goofy, too. Look for the camo Bomb!

Later,

IceKing02

Last year took sleds in and lucky to get one near the trail. Seemed like the further you went the better you did, friends went in much further and saw more moose, we shot the only one we saw. Did have frost bit on fingers tips, especially throttle hand, then wore goggles on way out as helmet visor sucked, a little red mark on the head from that, but disappeared in a week or two. With the muzzleloader area reached before crossing the river/creek can a person get to the muzzleloader area on ATV now, I suspose the early trail swamps and ruts are froze enough to go the 8 or so miles to the muzzleloader area. ???

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    You're GOING to get caught in the ice jams at the two rivers until they freeze completely. You might be able to get up there this weekend and straddle the ruts/bust through the icy ruts while still getting across the rivers. Otherwise, yup, you're stuck waiting until mid-November to cross easily. And then you are competing with snowmachiners who are WAY smarter than you (this is from the past experience of yours truly, November ATVer...)

Don't forget that:

1) Your 4-stroke engine isn't going to want to start when it is -38degrees...
    2) You have to plan upon spending the night out there camping if you shoot a cow late in the day...and it WILL BE FROZEN SOLID the next morning...
    3) You'll be best served by taking a trailer/sled...
    4) Your shocks will be almost useless until you heat them up enough on the trail that you are not continually bottoming out...this may take 10-15miles...
    5) Your electric fan will freeze solid if you happen to get hit with some water spray. This will cause the fan fuse to blow out when it is called upon to cool the engine at idle. The fan will then not operate. You will watch your engine overheat when it is -38 and wonder what the heck is happening...
    6) Your winch, when it gets wet, will freeze into a solid block of ice. It will then become a 32lb block of useless, cold metal. You will thank your lucky stars (and me) that you brought along an axe and a come-along...
    7) It is still a two hour + run when you are starting from 58miles east of the Clear Sky Lodge...
    8) You HAVE to manage moisture in your boots and gloves efficiently or risk frostbite...
    9) You will never taste a better steak or a better beer than those after you come off of the trail...
    10) You will have EPIC stories to tell!!!

Have fun and be safe. I'm likely to try a run on the Rex this coming weekend so I'll see if you've decided to get goofy, too. Look for the camo Bomb!

Later,

IceKing02
    Just my type of hunt. I'm going next month.

Default Iceking's story is great.

Iceking, well done on your input. It had me rollin' . We did the hunt in November last year with snowmachines. We left Rochesters lodge at -35 and were really happy when it warmed up to -5 as we were skinning our moose. The ride home, -35, got a bit chilly after being so tired and hungry.

One item I highly recommend..... A very tall and wide windshield.

Don't mean to hijack but I just mailed my harvest tag in before I saw the 20A hunt am I hosed or will the registration be all I need? empty freezer +no Job = bad winter! I think I will wait for November and take the father inlaws sleds maybe take the wife with me so she can make that new 308 bark! Apologize for hijacking...

registration hunts are seperate from regular harvest hunts. get a reg. tag online and your good to go.

You can get the RM764 tag on line too, just go to ADF&Gs web site and you can download your tag.

How would a argo do out their this time of year or mid november? I don't have tracks for it yet and I have never been on the rex trail before. Been up here for about 13 years and never been on the REX.

Took Argo in last year first week of Nov. Not too cold, 5 to 10 below at night. Conquest with aluminum top and rubber tracks. The river crossings are the problem. The water was deep enough to float the argo and swift enough to wash it down into sweepers or spots where you will not be able to climb out. I anticipated this so found a buddy that wanted to go in on his 4 wheeler. He pulled the meat wagon but we hooked it to the argo at the crossings. There were ice shelves at the crossings that I backed onto slowly to break off as much as possable and then he went across first with a rope to pull me across. If the water had been 3 inches deeper he would not have made it. He had much trouble climbing onto the ice shelf on the other side and had to winch up. Stayed in 3 nights. On the way out the ice shelves were farther out and we had much more trouble crossing. There was nothing on the gravel island to hook on with a winch and he was on his own to wrestle the wheeler up onto the ice. Coming out of the water the argo body would be above the ice shelf and the wheels would go beneath it. I had to cut trees and build a ramp, with the wheeler pulling me out.

I am not much of an outdoorsman so take my advice for what it is worth to you. Conditions could be very different and could be easier trip. Maybe go in a couple weeks earlier, we were muzzle loader hunting which did not start until Nov 1. We did not see moose until past fish creek. Points to consider:

You will be going much slower than a wheeler so unless you are lucky you will not be doing a day trip. Figure a fair day to get in and one to get out. 10-12 mph max on flat trail with tracks. Average about 8 mph.

If it dumps snow while you are in there you will be hosed to get out unless you have tracks. I have rubber tracks with lugs and had problems climbing onto the ice, plastic tracks no way.

I would not have made it without the 4 wheeler. Heated grips and windshield on wheeler a plus. See comments above about electric fan.

The night after we left it was -20. Make sure engine will start. We had arctic oven tent with buddy propane heater. 1/2 propane bottle in morning and other half at night.

Good hatchet for knocking off ice and maybe cutting trees. Everything is iced 5 minutes after leaving water.

I got arms wet, take extra gloves. If I go again I will take neoprene waiders, and folding ramps for getting out of river.

You will not get very far off trail without tracks.

Getting back across rivers with moose would have made crossing extra interesting and lengthened trip by several hours at least.

I would do it again if I had the time, and someone to ride their 4 wheeler.

Ouch that story make waiting until snow and good freezing temps for the sled seem much better.

Default There's a reason we call it the "T-Rex Trail"

Also, don't forget that fenders don't want to bend at -38 degrees. There's no such thing as a bungie cord at -38 degrees--just a piece of "rope" with a hook at either end. With a chainsaw for the ice and a wheeler you can probably get about 35miles out in two hours or so, IF the swamps are frozen over. I recommend a set of ITPs or other aggressive tire if you are the one breaking trail before the sleds can get across.

In the best of times this trail can EAT your machine. Just ask around. Everyone will donate parts of their wheeler to the Rex gods at one time or another. I took a spear to the front of my wheeler and bent the winch shaft. Another spear went through my buddy's fender and got him in the chest. It is not for the faint of spirit. Did I mention that I LOVE the Rex Trail?

IceKing02

Default Misspelled...

I may be mistaken, but from my experiences on the trail I believe it's spelled "wrecks" trail not rex trail.

They have named atv's after the rubicon, well I believe the "wrecks" trail to be the true ATV testing trail of all time. If you can make it to Gold King and back in one piece without assistance from another ATV....YOU ROCK!

Default who's been on the trail in the past week

looks as though my request for info turned into a how-to and years past story telling time. i've been up on the rex a few times, both times frozen over. we had a lot of rain about 2 months ago, so, the original question still stands, with an update, emphasis on current information. anyone been on therex trail lately? what does it look like, NOW......?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast