Thread: chugach black bear??

Default chugach black bear??

Hey guys,

Anyone ever hunted the Chugach state park area in remainder of 14C south of bird creek??

If I can find a partner I'm lookin' at hiking back there to spot/stalk. Is it worth the hike?? I don't mind workin' for a bear, just want one.

thanks,

Jon

There's lots of bears in that area just go up and get them.

went up there two nights ago. rode way back on the 4 wheeler. Went in on the south side trail. We saw two big brownies on the other side of the river, way up high. We did not see any blacks on any of the surronding hills. I have seen lots before fishing there, i know that they are there. Some very pretty country back there, dense and lots of it. Good luck.

Bryan,

How far back did you go?? I'll be packing-in and I've never hiked back in there before, easy trail?

Thanks,

Jon

The "Remainder of 14C" Refers to Girdwood and the Twentymile drainage. Bird Creek drainage is part of the Park Management zone, but is open to hunting.
    There are very good & easy trails up the valley.

Jon, see anything on your hike? I've been back there a couple of times. I believe the ATV trail only goes about 5 miles and then it gets down to a small trail that is sometimes hard to see but works out. Hard to get good views but then I haven't been all the way closer to Bird headwaters. About 7 miles in is as far as I made it I believe.

I hiked up the crow ceek trail from girdwood last year. I made it a couple of miles past the cabin. Did a lotta glassing, didnt see a bear, nor any sign. Saw a real nice moose though.

Default Bird/Penguin Creek Hunt Report...

Went and headed up the Bird creek portion of the trail about two miles this last Saturday, talked to a guy four wheelin' who's lived up in there since the seventies, and after talking to him we ended up walking back and took the Penguin creek trail.
    About a mile down that trail, ran into a felllow bringing out a 6.5 ft. sow that he had just shot. We figured 'all right, bear.' Humped it back about another mile and a half to get above tree line.
    Fog was socking in the area pretty well, and we weren't able to spot any blackies. We were, however, able to get a pretty good look at a couple of the white mountain variety

Definitely a decent hike, if you have a four wheeler it's tremendously easier. I would use the Penguin creek trail rather than the Bird creek trail, as you get above tree line fairly-quickly and you certainly can see quite a bit.

Due to partner problems, this was probably the last time I'll be out for bear this year, so y'all go out there and get em' for me!!!

Hope to see some pictures of some bears guys!!

Good luck,

Jon

Can you ride wheelers on the Penguin trail and where is the trailhead located? I've never heard of that trail before.

You can definitely ride wheelers on the Penguin creek trail. The ATV trail goes all the way up to treeline.
    The trail actually branches off the Bird Creek trail itself. Roughly a 1-1.5 miles down the trail you'll pass a bridge with a fork in the trail. Left on the trail is the Bird Creek trail, and right takes you up the Penguin creek drainage.

Jon

ATV's are allowed on the Bird Creek trail and side trails, but only up to 500' elevation.