Thread: Amazingly Awesome Experience

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Amazingly Awesome Experience

hEY GUYS,
    Went across the bay here outta Homer for a 1 day hike-n-hunt with a couple other buddies and ended up with a great hike, beautiful bear and some amazing stories to tell.

We headed across just before day break. Hit the trail at about 0645. ABout an hour into the hike we had already seen a few bears. Two of our buddies decided to stay low and scope out a few young boars. But kenny and I decided to head to the ALPINE tundra. We got above the treeline at about 1200 and decided to brake. The sun was out and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, the temp could't have been any more perfect. After a little snack we spotted a big bear about a mile away on another hillside. It had its head in the low bush blueberries and wasn't moving. SO we treked and about an hour later had: hiked around a canyon, crossed a river, and ended up on the otherside of her. We closed the distance to about 200 yards. DEcided we had all the time in the world b/c she wasn't moving. We closed the distance to about 23 yards. The only thing that was concealing us was a 3ft tall spruce... literally the rest was pebbles and lowbush blues. BUt we had a 10-15mph cross wind so she never knew we were there.. we watched her for about another 30 mins, Set up on a shot and put one in the boilerroom. She did the tuck, spun and run. Right into the alders that were 40 yds away. After about an hour we went in. Tracked her for about an hour and finnaly found her. Or you could say she found us. We got to her and she gave one big woof and colapsed. The hard part was getting her out. She had gone 40 yrds into the alders and doubled back . Even though she was only 10 ft from the edge, it took us about 15mins to drag her out. SHe was so packed full of blueberries that when i got done with her, i think i was a blueberry, lol. I wish that I could have brought everyone with for the experience. No matter how long I live in this Grand state I am always amazed at the fact that I live in this beautiful country. SO after we skinned and bonned. We figured we couldn't fit everything into the pack and I had to drape the rug over me like Grizzly Adams or something, while Kenny hauled the gear. Lucky guy, he had the light load. We got down off the mountain and onto the boat at about 1030pm. I had no clue when I was gonna find a taxidermist but god graced me with one the next day. I met him by accident at the store the next day and he skinned the skull for me for sealing and picked up the hide that afternoon. I'm sure it will turn out great. LIke I said pretty amazing weekend.The only problem was I forgot to upload the right picture so all i have right now is my cell phone pic I'll post more tomorrow. Thanks 4 everything guys.

oh She squared just over 6ft and was 400+lbs, with a 17in skull
    Enjoy,
    Rob

09-24-07_1754b.JPG

Default Sweet!

Sounds like a perfect day to me! Congrats!

Sounds like a fun black bear hunt.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Sounds like a awesome day and a great hunt!!!

congratulatins!!!!

jon

Thumbs up Way to go Rob!!

Great story! I've been dreaming about that hunt over there and you have just about convinced me to spend the cash for a nonres tag and try my luck at bear hunting. Never have done it before so I'm a little uncertain about doing a double rookie stunt May just do more scouting this year and wait till next to do it. Great story...I really appreciated the part where you "watched her for 30 minutes" before making the kill...sure sign of true appreciation for the animal. You get my blessing (not that it's worth anything) for that one!

BuckNRut,
    If you would like to try to do a hunt, right now is the perfect time. They are doing nothing but eating low bush blues and their coats are pristine. If you need a partner, I've lived here for some years and know the area well. pst or PM ME. Good luck on w/e you wanna do

ROB

VERY nice of you, DoubleShovel85 ...I hope BucknRut comes up to Alaska and takes you up on your offer. It'll be a great experience for him and you are doing something for somebody that they'll always remember. Good on ya! Now go build yourself a Tolman and get across the bay in style and comfort! (Go see Renn Tolman on Kachemak Drive ...about halfway along the road, brown shop with 'Tolman Skiffs' on the door.)

Brian

Question

Buck, aren't you already here? I thought you moved this summer? If so, what town are you in?

Tim

Talking yupyup

I am here! Down in Homer, so I really am just across the bay! Now, I am going to try to change my location!

-Buck

Did you use a water taxi service, or did you have your own boat. If it was a taxi, who did you use?

I used our own boat...