Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Son's First Grouse

Default My Son's First Grouse

I am very excited about this.
    He was able to get this one on our property.
    It makes me SOOO proud.

Lurker.

Thumbs up Good Job

Mom & Son!

Great to see young kids get out into the woods.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Mom & Son!
    Aw... thank you so much.
    It really was only the son, though. It was Sunday and I had to play in a concert. He found it on our property and shot it through the neck!!!
    Lurker.

Thumbs up

While his peers were at home playing the latest hunting game on their Nintendo 9,000, little Johnny was getting dinner ready.

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Great to see young kids get out into the woods.
    Yes... absolutely.
    I support it and wished that there was far more that I could do with and for them outdoors wise. The longer we live here in Alaska, the more the kids get acclimated!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    While his peers were at home playing the latest hunting game on their Nintendo 9,000, little Johnny was getting dinner ready.

Very nice.
    Funny you should say that.
    The husband and I bought the boys their guns last year for Christmas.
    The kids don't really ask for any games like that. We bought them GameBoys for the trip to move up here last year, but they broke/lost all of them so we decided that they are not getting anything like that.
    We have considered getting them a Wii because there is so much physical activity that they have to do to play those games... but that's a little ways away.
    For now... they have had to become REAL creative this summer/year by playing in the pond, on the dirt hill, on our trampoline, on the airstrip, inside of our shop (with the son's climbing harness) and with their guns.
    Lurker.

Most Excellent! Looks like he is on his way to becoming a great hunter! Wish my daughter was into it.

Congratulations! Does your son know how to pull the breasts out? Just put a foot on each wing and gently pull the legs until the bird comes apart? Works great and just takes a second to break off the wings and pick off the remaining feathers after pulling the bird like that.

Brian

That is just down right awesome.Congrats to him on his 1st and a ruffie at that wahoo! Daniel

CO.. I am pleased beyond belief that your kids are on the right track. Still, I beg you to teach them to respect their arms. The same gun that kills a grouse in a parent's absence can also kill a sibling...

I'm not doubting either you or your husband here. And, I praise your son for his good work.

But, kids make mistakes. There is a reason for the antiquated PG (parental guidence) rating. Sometimes they don't quite understand the finality of consequence.

On a lighter note, what is a Wii?

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Congratulations! Does your son know how to pull the breasts out? Just put a foot on each wing and gently pull the legs until the bird comes apart? Works great and just takes a second to break off the wings and pick off the remaining feathers after pulling the bird like that.

Brian
    That was a ruffed. Do everything Tanana said, and then strip the thighs as well. There isn't much there, but when it tastes that good, don't leave anything to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    On a lighter note, what is a Wii?
    It's the latest in home video games where it is wireless. Good on you for not focusin' on the games, CO. Gamin' can fun fun & a good way to relax but it's so easy for somoene to get addicted.

As others have stated it's great to see youngin's get into the outdoors to hunt & fish. Nothing like being in God's country and partakin' in His bounty and that's what kids need to appreciate...not video games & MTV.

Default congrats

congratulation i was not much older then him when i shot my first grouse. was the first animal i ever shot. my dad was just as proud keep nourishing those hunting instincts and u will have a great partner in the years to come. i know my dad is my best hunting partner. hunting season is the one time of year we get to truely get to bond. i would not trade it for the world. it looks like u are well on your way to raising a fine hunter. so good luck and happy hunting

Default Wow!! What a response!

Thanks to all of you for the congrats!!! I am going to have to show him this!! He didn't even know that I was going to post his picture on here. I am just a proud mommy is all.
    Serious, guys!! Thank you SOOOO much!

Also... about the video games and being outdoors...
    My children started learning at an early, early age that we could rather be outdoor instead of indoors. I have done many hikes, climbs, camps with the kids that they were all ready to move to Alaska and start it all again up here. What makes it even more grand is that we live a far more simple life being here than what we did in the city. I still have the same kind of schedule that I had when we were there... I still do the same things, but our quality of life has improved dramatically. The children all understand and know the importance of being outdoors, hunting, hiking... and what not.. and they also understand the importance of mommy being able to do things on her own outdoors as well.

All in all... they will all be exposed to outdoors for the rest of their lives. Sunday just so happened to be the first day that my oldest was able to shoot his grouse! Next will be the middle son and then the daughter...
    ...and before I know it, they will be hunting bigger game!
    Lurker.

Nice looking ruffed grouse! Glad to see your kids are getting into the Alaska outdoor spirit. I have been steadily working on mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Nice looking ruffed grouse! Glad to see your kids are getting into the Alaska outdoor spirit. I have been steadily working on mine as well.
    Thanks! I was discussing this thread with my son last night and he was shocked that there were so many of you giving your kudos to him. Really... thank you.

Also, the husband and I were discussing this last night, too... and the husband said that he, at my son's age (8), never got a grouse with the kind of gun that my son had.

He shot the grouse with his BB Gun in the neck.
    I didn't think that it was a big deal. I am just excited that he got his big bird.
    Lurker.

Default That's even better!

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    He shot the grouse with his BB Gun in the neck.
    I didn't think that it was a big deal. I am just excited that he got his big bird.
    Very impressive! Hard enough to kill a bird with a .22 shot, much less a BB.

In the native way you have to give a party now.

Default With a BB Gun??

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Very impressive! Hard enough to kill a bird with a .22 shot, much less a BB.

In the native way you have to give a party now.
    Really?? With a BB Gun? He didn't even have his scope on, either.

Well.. good, then. I just offered him a party and he just laughed. He's not interested. I wished he got more of them so that we could have more meat!!!
    Lurker.

Grouse are like that ...find a gillion in one day, then go several days seeing only one or two. I have just one spot that seems to produce pretty consistently. At that spot, we see 4 to 10 birds every time we go in. We got 4 more yesterday (from a different place tho')... We're just filling the freezer and saving them up for a rainy day (haha).

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast