Thread: DM435 - A heads up

Default DM435 - A heads up

For those that have this permit, be aware that horses are not allowed on the South Eagle River trail, there is a sign posted at the trailhead. A friend and I walked in there yesterday about 2 miles, we saw 3 moose and 7 hunters. Something to keep in mind, if you shoot a moose in this drainage you will have to pack it all out on your or you and your friends backs. This is not an easy hunt and you can count on packing your moose uphill to get back out of the drainage. Even though F&G warns about bears in this area we did not see any bears nore any sign, doesn't mean they aren't there, we just didn't see any signs of them and a few hunters we talked too said the same thing.

The no bear sign is odd as I drive the road out and back twice a day and almost always see a Brown or a Black crossing the road heading for the river side.

I was told by a hunter that went in there on Monday, the opener. He said when he went in there all he could see were headlamps on all the ridges and down in the valley, it looked like an invasion was happening. I am glad I didn't go on that day but I went the day after and there was 1 car parked in the parking lot. I think most of the hunters that went in there on opening day discovered just how hard this hunt is and how bad it would be if they took a moose. I might go back in next Monday depending on weather. IMO, I don't think 30 bulls will be taken in that area, I cannot see how that area will hold that many bulls and I know of a few that have left that drainage for safer grounds. Once pressure has let up I think the moose will start showing themselves again but who knows how long that will be.

Default No more permits?

Had a buddy call F&G over this past weekend and ask about getting a permit for this hunt, he was told they had given out close to 400 permits and they were not giving out any more.
    Is this true?
    Can anyone back this up?

Also, if anyone has any details about how this hunt came to be. Why does this drainage need 30 bulls taken from it?

Just wondering.

Yes, they are not giving out anymore permits, they were expecting just a small number of hunters to apply for this registration hunt and ended up with way more than they expected. 347 permits were handed out and they closed the registration portion of the hunt so you cannot get a permit now. I don't have the answers to why they created this hunt other than what I read in the paper on Sunday. Seems that most of the moose in this valley migrate into Anchorage and they want to thin those numbers down but IMO, it won't even put a dent in the population as I don't believe there are that many bulls in there plus the rigors of hauling one out would be enough to make the hardiest of hunters think twice before pulling the trigger. I almost did on Tuesday but he gave us the slip, still contemplating on if I want to try it again as I was totally wore out after going in and coming back out......and that was without a moose in my pack.

Sockeye, I was told the same thing, 347 permits had been given out for 30 moose so F&G stopped giving them out.

I doubt 30 bulls will be backpacked out of there.

I think the reason why the hunt was opened was to allow us to take some of the moose that live up there in October, and then wander down into Anchorage and get hit by cars in January. Just speculating, but I see a lot of moose along the Glen highway and in Anchorage during the winter and think ship creek is one of the drainages they come from.

According to Fish and Game, 8 bulls have been taken so far, a far cry from the 30 bulls they want taken. This could turn out to be a good hunt afterall.

You better hurry. And yoou'll lose the bet.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/hunting/...-9282020c.html

Well the report of 8 moose was as of Monday so they must have reported some of those bulls in the last few days. To bad about the cow, I wonder what happened to the hunter as far as fines and such?

Default Why?

Why don't they allow horses? Muscle is muscle and gasoline is gasoline. I just purchase a very good hunting horse yesterday and can't wait to try him out. It is elk in Montana not moose in Alaska, but I can understand no motorized access but no horses -- nonsence.

It was probably the greenies whining about stepping in horse poop along the trail. That particular trail gets lots of granolas and greenies.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    It was probably the greenies whining about stepping in horse poop along the trail. That particular trail gets lots of granolas and greenies.
    Hunter you are right! Eagle River.....enough said!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Horses are allowed

Just not on the South Fork Eagle River trailhead coming off of Hiland Rd.

You can read it here:

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/standard/...er%20Trailhead

Enough said. Repeated horse use can and will cause damage to certain vegetation and soils. There are times when horses need to be restricted. What would bother me is that it was closed to horses because it was closed to wheelers and people complained.