Thread: Digital Camera ?

Default Digital Camera ?

I have a Sony DSC-S60, 4.1Mega Pixel with a 3x optical zoom, cyber shot. I am looking for a camera that takes better pic's and video's. I carry a camera with me every where so I'm not looking for a huge/heavy camera, but what is a good bang for the buck? Would also like one that can capture the Northern Lights, faster shutter speed? Thanks for input.

Heres a few shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They just don't seem "crystal" clear enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Software

There are many good cameras out there. However, much can be done to make your photos look better. Try playing with them with some photo editing software.

If I can help PM me.
    Steve

Default Another

Here is your other one.

Nice fish!!!

Steve

Thanks steve, but am looking for a better camera. I would really like to get one that can handle the Northern Lights, to many missed ops due to not enough camera.

As for the fish, It was one I caught in glennallen area, the pic is of my buddy holding it. Laker was 31" long and a estament of 14lbs, had some nice shoulder to it!

Default Consider Canon

I've been using Canon cameras for the last couple decades with great success. My current digital is a Canon PowerShot A630 (8.0MP) which has been a great camera. A key reason I went with this model is that the LCD display rotates to a screen-in position that protects it from damage. It has full manual control of all exposure settings allowing shutter speeds 1/2500 all the way up to 15 seconds and F stops of 2.8 up to 8.0. With a tripod, you can easily capture great northern lights images with it. I've also noticed that the battery run time is awsome. I'm not taking massive quantities of shots, but it runs over 3 weeks per charge on four AA NiMh batteries for me. It does video, but I don't use that very often.

I also bought one of the SD series for my wife some time back. It is small enough for her to tote it in her purse and it uses a lithium battery pack. I takes pretty good pics also. You can see the current Canon lineup at the following link...

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=113

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I've been using Canon cameras for the last couple decades with great success. My current digital is a Canon PowerShot A630 (8.0MP) which has been a great camera. A key reason I went with this model is that the LCD display rotates to a screen-in position that protects it from damage. It has full manual control of all exposure settings allowing shutter speeds 1/2500 all the way up to 15 seconds and F stops of 2.8 up to 8.0. With a tripod, you can easily capture great northern lights images with it. I've also noticed that the battery run time is awsome. I'm not taking massive quantities of shots, but it runs over 3 weeks per charge on four AA NiMh batteries for me. It does video, but I don't use that very often.

I also bought one of the SD series for my wife some time back. It is small enough for her to tote it in her purse and it uses a lithium battery pack. I takes pretty good pics also. You can see the current Canon lineup at the following link...

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=113
    Thank's! This is one I am looking at now.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15652

Should do everything I am after?

That looks like a good model to me. To get your northern lights shots, you'll need to figure out how to adjust the speed settings as you have to force a long shutter speed manually. Once you play with it a bit, the menu and settings system on a Canon isn't too bad to work with.