Thread: How to dipnet at China Poot

Default How to dipnet at China Poot

I hope to make my first visit to China Poot Bay soon and was wondering what it's like to dipnet there. I've done the Kenai/Kasilof dipnets. But I"m wondering if I want a smaller dip net at China Poot (more like a large landing net?). Also, in terms of catching fish, does tide matter? I know boat access is tide dependent. Do you go in at mid falling and fish til mid rising? Do you go as far upstream as possible? Do you need chest waders for the dipping? How easy would the hike be to the dipnetting spots for 3 and 5 year old kids? Are bears an issue? Thanks.

Default china poot

Stream is fast moving.... alot of parents do not let their little kids attempt to wade in or cross the creek, knee deep plus on an adult. Can get crowded at the 3 or 4 dipping areas, plus best one (lower falls some call the hole) has a big deadfall tree in it this year. I would recommend you be very careful with your kids around this creek and the big rocks along it.. Creek isn't that long in distance to waterfall. You will know when you get there as water roars over falls and you cannot walk up any farther. Some people do spend from one tide to another there. however if fish are in in good numbers only takes a few minutes to get your 6 and head home.landing type net best not a kenai gill net. remember access is tide dependent, I have seen boats sitting on mud when they ran out of water depth while trying to enter this area.

Was out there Friday, I left my 5 and 6 year old in the boat. Definatly not a hike for kids to take. My wife couldn't make it up to the top hole and I left her at the bottom area. Probably be better off with chest waders to reach some of the deep holes. There were allot of people out that day and the party I was with didn't limit out but take a gill net that is a large landing net, you'll never fit a 5' hoopty in there.

Was out there Friday, I left my 5 and 6 year old in the boat. Definatly not a hike for kids to take. My wife couldn't make it up to the top hole and I left her at the bottom area. Probably be better off with chest waders to reach some of the deep holes. There were allot of people out that day and the party I was with didn't limit out but take a gill net that is a large landing net, you'll never fit a 5' hoopty in there.

Default no fish yesterday

i was there at the afternoon tide turn...no fish in the creek or in the cove.
    my 5 year old came all the way to the falls with me, i carried him across one spot, but he otherwise refuses help.
    he has to wear a float coat, and he gets soaked, but hey...he's an alaskan kid in the summer!!! just make sure you have warm dry clothes for your kids if they go...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Talking I read this thread to my boy...

and he says:
    "leaving your kid in the boat when you go dipnetting is like leaving your kid in the car when you go to the carnival"
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default lifevests

Went over again today and got more reds. was impressed several familys had life vests on their kids as they waded and swam in the shallow parts of the creek. Excellent idea just please keep a careful eye on them. lots of fast moving water and rocks at China Poot

Well Geez Dave, thanks for trying to make me feel like a bad father! The situation for me was not to take my kids due to not having the correct gear (we went down on vacation) and my first time there. I don't regret not taking them after what I saw and climbed, it's your own choice but I think I made the right one considering the situation......