Thread: Best place in Alaska to bowhunt Caribou

Default Best place in Alaska to bowhunt Caribou

Hey guys,

Where is the best place to bowhunt Caribou. I went to Bethel in 2005 and it was fun - there was three of us that are die hard bowhunters and we could have taken some nice Bulls with rifles. However, due to terrain and stalking we were not successfull. Me and my friends love to bowhunt!!! And for us we just bowhunt - what do you think we are from OH. Any idea where to go? We would like to do it un - guided.

Thanks for all your help.

kerry

go to kot. Nice bulls and lots of them,good stalking ground for bowhunting.

thanks a lot - who do you recomend in Kotz? Or I thought about Bettles? Any ideas - this is for a diy drop camp.

kerry

Like any hunting, the more money you are willing to spend, the more productive you will be. A few years back I did a *favor* for a hunting guide as he had an out-of-stater whose partner didn't make it and he would not put this guy in the field alone. I went out on the hunt with the client not knowing I was there for the guide, he only thought I was another paid client. The guide had two rules, first I would not tell the client, second is that I would get one caribou *on him*. If I shot a second caribou he would charge me $2500. I said "Done deal". This was a fly in drop off by a licensed guide, not a Taxi service. Prices then started at 2.5K for one caribou. The guide has a vested interest in the client *producing* and they never want someone coming out of the field without their animal(s). We flew in supercub's for hours looking for the migration. We were placed on a ridge with a major migration. Over the next 36 hours we had in excess of over 10,000 caribou within 50 yards of our tent The estimate was by a Fish and Game biologist and he was probably low in the number. I had no less than 25 caribou in the 300 class that were under 5 yards from me. I took a bull that green scored 427 and he was not the biggest we saw. My new found partner's was even bigger.

My point is, if you want success, go with a professional guide and you will have the closest *sure thing* that money can buy. I don't know if I will ever be able to afford one of these hunts on my own, but it is better than Disneyland IMHO.

If money is a concern and you are going to do this on your own, I personally want to hunt in a no rifle area. Drawing a special tag has its advantages. Having a boat and or ATV also has advantages. Probably the least expensive hunt is the haul road, but it is not free Fly in drop offs out of Lake Hood, Iliama, Dillingham, and Kotz are usually done by Taxi services who do not have the vested interest that a guide has. I have used Ketchum and Rust air services, but I knew what I was getting in advance. They NEVER set me up like the guide!

Hope my ramblings give you some ideas to think about. Good luck on whichever way you decide to go.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Adak looks good to me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Adak looks good to me
    It's been hunted very hard for the last several years.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Haul Road

I would do a Haul Road trip. Great country, lots of places to camp on the way. A different area of the state to see. And it is a bow hunt. I will do the Brookes every year that I can.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave in the Bush- I ran into you up the haul road, I believe somewhere near Toolik but not sure, I was heading up there to chase sheep on Slope. But shortly after you left because you said you were heading back to Valdez, things got pretty out of hand up there, especially Labor day weekend. I saw people hanging off the sides of their trucks while being driven to cut off some bulls trying to cross the road, and heard of other hunters cuttin' in on other hunters stalks, not to mention the number of rifle hunters who thought they were 5 miles out from the corridor. I know this was talked about earlier but hopefully we don't lose this priviledge. I saw the herd coming through as I headed south of Atigun to start moose hunting, when I saw the trucks and hunters lining up around Kuparuk River and Toolik lake ...I just wanted to get out of there. I know you still like the Haul, but its starting to get fairly crowded ...It was great to have met
    you ...CK