Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifles?

Default Rifles?

Just went and looked at a few rifles today and cant really decide on what to get, calibers/brands, i want to buy one in the next two days (dividend time). The rifles i was looking at where Rem Model 700 SPS 30-06 stainless, Ruger Model 77 Mark II in the .300 & .338 calibers. Does any one have any of these rifles or shot/ know about them. Any comments or thoughts on which is better. thanks

I don't have one, but I know lots of guys that swear by the remington. I like the Winchester M70 myself, but those are hard to come by these days. The Ruger and I think the Browning bolt action rifles have similar actions and safeties. I would suggest looking at them and finding one that works for you. If the safety seems uncomfortable, the length of pull is off, etc. then don't get it. As for a caliber, you have a pretty wide range there. I would decide what you are going to be using it for. My personal favorite is the .300 WM. It is a pretty good all around rifle. A lot of the guys here like the .338, but I'm not too interested in getting beat up that much and I don't hunt really big animals that much. If I was doing more brown bear and bison hunts, I might look into a .338. Also check out balistics of the calibers you are considering, cost of ammo, and think about how available that ammo will be when you are in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck.

You really can't go wrong with either of those. I've always thought that I'd like to buy a Remington because of how smooth their actions feel, but I seem to keep buying Rugers instead. At first it was because I got great deals, but man...I have beat the heck out of my Ruger rifles and have never, ever had a problem with them. They're accurate guns as well, or at least mine always have been.

I just sighted in my newest Ruger, a 338, on Sunday. It didn't really kick nearly as hard as I expected, and I'm sure that it will soon be one of my favorite hunting rifles.

As for ammo availability, both the 300 and 338 are very popular calibers, so I can't imagine that you'll have a hard time getting what you need. Ammo prices sure are going up, though. Ouch!

Anyhow, my recommendation would be to pick up both and see which one feels better to you. They're both great guns, so it really comes down to personal preference. As for me, I am now a Ruger man.

I wouldnt overlook the short mags. Great guns and very accurate! 300 WSM would be a great all around caliber. Out of the 2 guns you talked about the Remington 700 is a really great action and has been around and liked for a long time. Its also known as a very accurate action. Caliber just depends on what your going to use the gun for.

Default .338 Win Mag Ruger

I looked at all the rifles mentioned before buying the Ruger in stainless. One of the primary factors for me was that the safety and bolt design is the same as my .270 Winchester. This familiarity factor helps when its crunch time and you don't want to have to think about your equipment. I did have the trigger redone with a Timney, due to what I considered to be a stiff pull and added a Limbsaver recoil pad. This added slightly to the length of pull and made it work better for me.

I was also concerned after lots of advice about the recoil of this round, however this combination shoots easier than my .270! The bolt also was stiff in the beginning but seems to have smoothed out with use. Very accurate for me. Good Luck.

Lightbulb

I would take a Remington , over a Ruger any day of the week.

If you use .30-06 federal high energy ammo you will get .300 H.& H. velocity out of it. Almost, but not quite W.M..

I have owned my Rem .30/06 for 22 years now and love it for its accuracy and mild recoil and wide variety of factory ammo from 55g Accelerators to 220g round nose and upclose ammo. I now shoot the Hornady Custom Light Magnums and they shoot flat out as far as I'd dare shoot a moose comfortably in the head or shoulder.
    I bought my Ruger M77 SS .300WM around '00 and love it too. I only use it for moose and they drop once hit. I use the Winchester Supreme CXP3 ammo, expensive but work great. I am set on using 180g loads, maybe someday I'll try out the 150's.
    Both shoot well, scope either with what you prefer. Sight it in, and place your shots well and you will not regret buying what you did.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thumbs up Ruger .338

[QUOTE=riplake;151796]I looked at all the rifles mentioned before buying the Ruger in stainless. One of the primary factors for me was that the safety and bolt design is the same as my .270 Winchester. This familiarity factor helps when its crunch time and you don't want to have to think about your equipment. I did have the trigger redone with a Timney, due to what I considered to be a stiff pull and added a Limbsaver recoil pad. This added slightly to the length of pull and made it work better for me.

I was also concerned after lots of advice about the recoil of this round, however this combination shoots easier than my .270! The bolt also was stiff in the beginning but seems to have smoothed out with use. Very accurate for me. Good Luck.[/QUOTE

I got the same thing and had a timney trigger installed as well. Night and day in the trigger pull difference now compared to the stock trigger. I like my ruger in a .338. A little heavy but then again thats why I have a remington model 7 in .308 for sheep hunting.

I am a Remington fan, but there are lots of good choices out there. My friend just picked up a new stainless SPS in .300 Win Mag, and it shoots 1" at 100 yards with factory ammo. He was pretty happy with his choice. The bottom line is to buy one that fits you and has the features you like the most.

The .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag are all good choices for Alaskan game. With the way ammo prices are climbing, though, a .30-06 might be a really good choice if you don't handload. My friend is saving his empties and planning to come to my house to learn how to roll his own.

Default Ruger 338

This summer I picked up a Ruger MkII 338 Win Mag, stainless synthetic. It is a really nice rifle and it really doesn't kick that bad. I normally shoot a 7mm Rem Mag and it doesn't kick much more that that. Get yourself a limbsaver recoil pad if you need one, and you'll love that 338!

Default got one

Just got back from the store and i bought the Ruger Model 77 Mark II .300 brown laminate stock and got a Nikon 3 x 9 x 40 Buckmasters scope to go on it. It looks good, thanks for all the advice guys.

Nice choice, you'll love it once you get used to it and feel how it shoots.

Default Remington

I have many rifles of different cal's and makes, of what you stated I would go with the Remington 700 in the anything but the 338. I just think that cal is not worth it's weight in crap......the 30-06, 300 WM or WSM or SARUM will out perform the 338 anyday.
    Now... go buy American and stimulate the economy

Default Remember Weatherby

I think that people sometimes overlook the Weatherby rifles.
    I don't think that there presently is another rifle company that you can talk to their head. I think that you used to be able to snailmail Bill Ruger.

There is another forum called weatherbynation.com and you can speak directly to Ed Weatherby. I sent him an email him about Vanguard Sub-Moa rifles.

Mr. Weatherby responded to me back within an hour. He explained to me that they are cherry picked and generally shoot better than 3/4 of an inch for three shots and are then matched to a composite fiberglass bell and carlson stock. He told me that he would answer any question that I had about his product. This is pretty good customer service. Granted Vanguards are howa actions but the Mark V's are made in USA and I notice that even Remington now imports Bruno actions for their 798.s.

I figure that buying a rifle makes the world a better place by just a little bit and I always seek to be pro-active.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Take a look at this:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=14646

It will give you an idea of calibers popularity in Alaska.

Default popularity don't mean squat!

Clinton won a popularity contest or two and look how great he wasn't!

Akhunter bought one, this threads over! Congrats again ak, your going to enjoy her for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    Clinton won a popularity contest or two and look how great he wasn't!
    An "all around" rifle-caliber named "Clinton?"

Default cool

Quote Originally Posted by 1CRAZY1 View Post
    Akhunter bought one, this threads over! Congrats again ak, your going to enjoy her for years to come.
    Glad that there is someone else that reads rest of the topic other than me.

Default new cal

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    An "all around" rifle-caliber named "Clinton?"
    And what would the Clinton caliber be good for? DONKEYS???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast