Thread: Antlers to lower 48

Default Antlers to lower 48

Well, got back a week or so ago from Kotz and I have an antler shipping question. It cost us like $65 on NAC to get the 4 sets of antlers back to Anchorage and then $330 to get them down to Milwaukee via UPS. Man, there has got to be a cheaper way.
    Suggestions for next time??
    Bruce

A couple of years ago I sent a set of 66" Moose antlers in a european mount to Oregon using Alaska Air cargo, I believe it was under $200.

Yeah, see this problem often. If they are caribou antlers or moose antlers box them up in one box. Caribou antlers are easier. Make a clean cut down the center of the skullcap (make sure you leave plenty when you cut it off the skull or the taxidermist won't be able to put them back together accurately. Anyhow, split them down the center of the skullcap and stack them together in a cardboard box (you usually have to craft your own box to size). Your salted skins should be fairly dry and should be wrapped up in your dufflebag or even your carryon. When Alaska airlines asks what you have in the box, if they do, just say its art or "sporting equipment." I have seen people hassled and the airlines will try to charge a fee for antlers. Over dozens of trips all over we always bring our antlers back with us on the plane and never pay for bringing "antlers" home. Last month my bear skin and skull went right through in my carryon. With over 1 million lost bags this year alone on the airlines I don't like to let that stuff out of my hands. PM me if you have any questions or want a clearer explanation.

In the 80's when things weren't quite so particular one of the groups went up and really irked the people behind the Alaska Airlines counter. The group of guys walked up the the ticket counter in Kotzebue with 5 sets of caribou antlers, all interlocked into one big ball with a few rolls of strapping tape. The airline tried to charge the antler fee for each set of antlers, we successfully argued that it was just one piece and that they could not charge per antler.

A few years ago a whole group of us flew to texas for a hunt. Between 8 of us we came home with 17 sets of horns/antlers that all fit into a box not bigger than a suitcase. It didn't look pretty with all that strapping tape holding everything together but it all got home completely safe and without $1105 in extra fees for bringing home the antlers. To boot, with the 50 pound weight restrictions for checked baggage our meat was frozen in 10-15 pound packages and stuffed throughout our luggage. Our carryons were easily 50 pounds each and between all of us, nobody paid any extra baggage fees, all antlers, meat and skins came home on the plane with us. No reason to pay extra money to get your stuff home. The biggest moneysaver is knowing how to take care of your skins in the field. We completely salt, flesh and turn our bear skins in POW in the spring with it raining every day, they are brought home dry and ready to go to the tannery. Just do it all on a tarp on a slightly sloping hill, fold the tarp over the top and keep out of the sun and you can take care of it all in the field. Its a lot of fun being able to do it all yourself!

Talking I never have a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    ...Man, there has got to be a cheaper way.
    Suggestions for next time??
    Bruce
    It could be because the "trophy" racks I take home usually fit in a ziplock bag

Good Lord willing, I will have your problem someday Bruce! The largest rack I have ever transported was a whitetail and everything went right in with my gear; meat and antlers...didn't take the cape.

You were lucky. An expiditor would have cost you 3X that amount. Be happy with your trophies.

Dad and brother took their antlers as oversize baggage on Northwest when they flew home. We just tied them together and away they went. Something like $80 total for the both of them. Felt kind of weird walking in the airport with them. Even had some tourists want to take pictures of them!
    EricL

I Just got back from Kotz last friday. I ended up just having the taxidermist that was working with my outfitter do the mounting job and shipping. He lives about an hour away from me here in wisconsin. I normally do my mounts myself but when you figure shipping, tanning the cape, and materials, for this trip it was just more practicle to have him do it.

Hunt of a lifetime and you are complaining about the cost to ship the rack back home? Would cost more to bring the meat back if you did, sounds like you didn't. So suck it up and shut up. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default SO many

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Hunt of a lifetime and you are complaining about the cost to ship the rack back home? Would cost more to bring the meat back if you did, sounds like you didn't. So suck it up and shut up. . .
    Haters man I hate rude smart arse comments. Guess it just hits me wrong.

Default I agree

jeff pQuote:
    Originally Posted by MARV1

Haters man I hate rude smart arse comments. Guess it just hits me wrong.
    Sounds like the guy is just looking for info and adding to the forum. Bruce, it sounds like to expressed them. What did the box weight and did you send them ground? Did you look into the regular postal service? I just got back with caribou antlers. I flew out of Fairbank and Alaska airlines informed me that I had to have the antlers in a box for them which they sold for $36.00. They were completely wrapped and protected and cut in half. They didn't charge me a antler fee but I was switching to Delta who supposedly didn't require a box but they did charge me the antler fee of $100.00. Its all a racket!!, but I guess thats the price you pay. One more reason that I'm moving to Alaska.