Thread: Lake fishing on Elmendorf or Ft. Richardson

Default Lake fishing on Elmendorf or Ft. Richardson

Hello all. We moved up to Elmendorf in June. Have tried fishing the lakes on Elmendorf and Ft. Rich with one 6 inch success (back in July). We fished Seward over Labor Day Weekend and caught 23 Silvers. I would like to try and catch some trout, but haven't had much luck. I would appreciate any advice.

A second question I have is: what are grayling? Are they anything like trout? Growing up in Idaho I fished trout a lot, but I had not heard of grayling until arriving here. Thank you in advance for your words wisdom.

stukar

I don't know that there is actually good fishing for trout on the bases. It has been many years since I fished there but I beleive that other bases had better stocked lakes than we did up here. Here is a link that explaines what a grayling is http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...h/grayling.php

I caught a 17" Rainbow on i think its called 6 Mile Lake. If your curious on where or how to get there give me a call. 209-625-5650 I live on fort richardson so either call me for directions or call me and we will go since im on vacation til the 14th

~Jason

Default Clunie Lake

Try Clunie lake on Ft Rich. It's best if you use a canoe or small boat. You're allowed up to a 5 HP motor. I use small spinners such as panther martins or rooster tails in the #1 size(1/12oz)and fish the edges of weed and shoreline. I'll use gold blades if the suns out and siver for no sun. You can also jig some small white curly tails with a 1/4oz. jighead and catch an occasional char. I had lots of days catching and releasing over 40 trout with my 5 year old before I left for Iraq. Some in the 15-20" category. I'll be icefishing there when I get back. If you've never tried it you should. It should be real good before the ice comes in. Hope this helps. I'm suffering from fishing withdrawals here in Iraq.

Tony

AKBigHorn:

Thank you for the article. I hadn't thought to check the state Fish & Game site. I also have looked at the stocking info. Something about power plants closing has caused smaller fish or no fish to be stocked in recent years. Thank you again.
    http://www.cafepress.com/naturesgym

Fun is the best workout of all.

Default Thank you

Thank you for the replies.

ArmyFishboy: When is a good time to call? It looks like you posted your reply at about 0130.

Tony509th: I guess a person has to get to the deeper water to have any success? Not that any of the lakes on El or Rich are very deep. I think 25-30 ft was the deepest according to the maps of the lakes. At least, if I were a fish, that would probably be where I would hang out.

Thank you. Thank you for the replies. Thank you for your service!

EAFB
    Upper 6 mile right now is good.
    Green lake decent lake now.
    hillberg don't expect to catch anything real big there.

FT. Rich
    Clunie lake is good now to.
    Gwin is good but winter the fish tend not to make it

Otter lake is another good one right now. When ice fishing starts Otter is the place to be.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by stukar View Post

ArmyFishboy: When is a good time to call? It looks like you posted your reply at about 0130.

Tony509th: I guess a person has to get to the deeper water to have any success? Not that any of the lakes on El or Rich are very deep. I think 25-30 ft was the deepest according to the maps of the lakes. At least, if I were a fish, that would probably be where I would hang out.

You can call anytime really. If its time to fish im always up

Quote Originally Posted by stukar View Post

Stukar,
    The rainbows are not deep they're really pretty shallow along the banks. You can get at them from shore but the boat/canoe makes it much easier to get at them. Less trees and brush to deal with. The char are in the deeper water towards the middle of Clunie.

Tony

Right now near shore using a scud pattern work really good at upper 6 mile.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Went out to Lower Six Mile and Green today

I went out to Lower Six Mile and Green lakes today with ArmyFishboy. Nothing at Lower Six Mile. It has been a magnificent day, so that might be why. At Green lake we had a bunch of about 5-6 inchers hitting our bait. I caught one that was about 10 inches from the tip of the hair on his chin to the very tip of the hair on its tail. Ok, maybe it was about 9 inches. It was a pleasant day. I enjoyed the fun the little fish gave.

I will have to try again soon. This weekend is out, I don't know about Thursday and Friday, but I am going to try and make it work.

Thanks again ArmyFishboy. Happy Birthday!

Thanks again for the advice guys. Now I just have to learn what a scud pattern is. I think it means just random casting hoping to hit something, but usually its just a dud (That is, of course, if it was named after the Iraqi missile ;-)

Stuart

I see you have a sense of humor, not to bust your bubble but here is your scud http://www.westfly.com/ento/others/scuds.htm . I think we forget sometimes just how much information is at the tip of our fingers with technology where it is today.

I'd have to agree with the others that for rainbows shallow water is best right now. Fishing should be real good this time of year. I hope to get out this weekend.

Default Sense of humor?

Thank you for the link. I think that kind of Scud will be much more helpful than my original thoughts of scuds.

We did see lots of trout in the more shallow waters near shore, but back in Idaho we referred to fish that size as bait.

I looked at the lake maps and the stocking info for this year. It just doesn't look very good. Most of the fish that were stocked in lakes this year were about 6 inches. A few, and I mean a very few, were larger. Maybe ice fishing will be better. Maybe next year will be better also. Although, next year I am definitely going to try and catch a King. Pardon me, what I meant to say was, next year I am definitely going to catch a King. There is a difference between trying and doing.

If I ration that fish today, I think our family can eat two, maybe three meals off of it. But it all depends on if I want one bite or two. LOL

Stuart

Default man o man

Back in '96 used to live on Elmo and lived for the float tube and fly rod on all the lakes. Green was were I learned to cast.....until I caught a loon. Talk about a jolt! Back then the loons would scope you out and wait. So, I decided, in the best interest of "loon preservation" I wouldn't float there anymore. Found "hidden lake"...just up the road from Green. Many years of non-stop dry fly hook-ups. Haven't fished it since '02. Buddy went down there this year and the trail down is overgrown. My opinion, used to be the best lake on Elmo. Never used because of bank access.

Fort Rich...Clunie. Go past the camp ground and take a road to the right....back a ways, drop the tube and it was incredible.

Not Kenai monsters but nothing like taking 6-15" bows on hand tied dries/nymphs!!!

Tony

Try Clunie or Waldon. Brown, black or olive wolly worms. Small spinners like a white rooster tail are good too.

clunie is great, its got lots of fish and some hogs. Go on warm days watch for rises then cast dries with a scud dropper, hard to beat
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony509th View Post
    I'm suffering from fishing withdrawals here in Iraq.

Tony

You and me both man, i have caught a few of the Asp's and carp out here, but it is not the same.

Whit

Default A wealth of information

I am amazed by the wealth of information I have learned from all the members of the forum. Thank you very much.

Will the fishing get better or slack off as the weather cools off? I am learning that Alaska is not a sub-tropical climate!

Stuart