Thread: Deer Hunting Juneau in Late November

Default Deer Hunting Juneau in Late November

I am visiting family in Juneau for Thanksgiving, and thought I may take advantage of some local hunting oppurtunities. Does anyone have a line on some good access points for deer on the road system in either Juneau or Douglas? I just need a good place to start hiking from. Thanks in advance.

Default Time and effort

How much time and effort are you willing to spend afield?

Last year might have been a better bet. Winter beat the snot out of them around here from what I've seen so far. A lot less sign where I've been, and, only jumped a couple so far. Then again, we're having a wet year (again) and I am made out of sugar.

I'll send you a pm, but, I wouldn't expect any miracles this year at all...actually, if you connect, it might be a miracle!

I am looking for day hiking possibilities. I am not looking to overnight, but am willing to push myself in early and walk out late. I know it will be a long shot, as winter was pretty bad this last year. I was in Juneau last December, and expect the winter kill was higher than normal. As I said, I am just looking for a good access point. If nothing else, I should have a good workout to earn a great turkey dinner.

Default Try Douglas

The deer will be well-educated, but by that time of year they should be at lower elevations and 'dumb' because of the rut. With a little fresh snow, you'll at least be able to isolate the areas they are working. You can find deer at just about any access point along the highway, the truth is, anywhere you go on that island, you'll just have to work for them.

My advice for Douglas hunting: Move very quickly until you find an area you believe to hold good amounts of deer, then slow down. And look for feeding areas.

If your willing to commit a FULL day drive as far north out of Douglas as you can go then walk south along the western beach of Douglas Island as far as you can. The closer you get to Middle Point the better you'll be IMO. The key would be to walk farther than the other road system hunters go. Last year we boated around to middle point and on the way back it was night and day where the road hunters stopped and the deer started.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Goldbelt land?

I'm not totally clear on the directions bgreen gave, but it kinda sounds like it involves some Goldbelt Corp. property.

They only let their shareholders hunt it. Against all advice, they don't sell trespass permits to hunters, either. Those of us without boats would pay...

Anyway, check for private property before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    I'm not totally clear on the directions bgreen gave, but it kinda sounds like it involves some Goldbelt Corp. property.

They only let their shareholders hunt it. Against all advice, they don't sell trespass permits to hunters, either. Those of us without boats would pay...

Ditto that.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post

Thats a good point, when I hunted there I just trusted the guy that took us out. It should go without saying though... Always check to make sure your not on private property.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Property below the mean high tide mark is state land, once your on the beach you are clear for about 6 hours to get to public land which isn't too far away. Anyhow I've only been out once and seen a little bit of sign, seems to me that there are about as many deer on the part of the island I was on as there are moose in the willow creek area, so they are definately around.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Property below the mean high tide mark is state land, once your on the beach you are clear for about 6 hours to get to public land which isn't too far away. Anyhow I've only been out once and seen a little bit of sign, seems to me that there are about as many deer on the part of the island I was on as there are moose in the willow creek area, so they are definately around.
    Goldbelt isn't the only property holder on the island. There is a buttload of private land on the backside around Middle Point and Hilda Creek. And, while the owners may not object to your trespass, the bulk of that land is Native Reserve. Which is to say, while not corporate, it is intended for Native transfers only.

Timing a low tide to your activities on a hike, hunt, kill, carry back, won't be accomplished unless you are one lucky monkey.

Most of the boundaries should be marked with US Forrest Service markers..FYI