Thread: Halibut from Sea Kayak

Default Halibut from Sea Kayak

Any one out there got any suggestions of where my partner and I could find Hailbut in reasonably shallow water,close to Seward,Whittier,Deep creek,anywhere really,the fishing need not be red hot as this would be an event for the both of us.Many thanks

Try going off the end of the Spit in Homer. I just read an article on this (I think it was in the June issue of Fish Alaska magazine - check their website) and they had lots of success with flouder off the Spit, and finally hooked into a decent size halibut. Be ready for a wild ride, though!

-Brian

Default Deep Creek...

Try the area down the beach straight off the "antenna tower" about a mile out. (ask around if confused about that) Look for the pockets of boats out there. If the water is calm with mild tide you are in for a great time. Lots of 'buts.

can u rent kayaks near deep creek ? how do u fish them do u ancore or drift i gess with 5 lbs of weight thats youre ancore ive fished stripers out of my yaks its a blast if a 6 pound striper can drag me around i cant imagine the fun i would have with a 30lb but

Smile Nantucket Sleigh Ride!

One of the biggest halibut I can recall being caught in recent years was over 400 lbs, and I think it was caught in about 30 ft of water off Deep Creek or thereabouts (if memory serves- and it rarely does).

In other words, you might be thinking 30#... you might add another zero. Especially if you're fishing later after the salmon carcasses are washing out to sea from the rivers.

Good Fun! Bring your GPS and a satphone to arrange for pickup!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay