Thread: 40 S&W vs. 10mm Auto

Default 40 S&W vs. 10mm Auto

I was just wondering if you can handload 40 S&W cartridges using 10mm Auto dies? Can the same taper crimp die be used too?

Thanks.

I have a set of RCBS .40 S&W/10mm dies. They load both calibers, with a little adjustment. What brand of dies do you have?

Default Yes, no, maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by Forestar View Post
    I was just wondering if you can handload 40 S&W cartridges using 10mm Auto dies? Can the same taper crimp die be used too?

Thanks.
    The ten is longer and if the dies are stamped 10mm and not 10mm/40S&W, then no on the crimp but probably yes on the rest of it. You could probably just buy an additional $20 taper crimp die for 40 S&W and get buy. If the sizer is carbide, they are exactly the same for both (standard sizer is also) ten and forty. The 10mm seater die stem may not adjust down enough to seat the bullets correctly in the forty. The expander die expander plug may also be too short to expand the short forty cases. All of this depends on the brand of dies.

Most dies now days are made for both and stamped accordingly. They are really just forty dies that can be adjusted up in the press for the ten. Redding makes dies stamped 40 S&W and dies stamped 40 S&W/10mm and they are exactly the same. In other words, the forty dies can be used for the ten but not vice versa.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Hmmm . . .

Sounds like I'll just have to give it a try and see what happens. The dies I have are Redding, including the taper crimp die, but I've never used them; they're like brand new, but they are NOT carbide. I don't know how they are stamped, but I may have gotten them in the brief time period after the 10mm was developed, but before the 40 S&W was developed.

Anyway, I won a Kahr CW40 at a recent Friends of NRA banquet and thought I might do a little handloading for it. Cheap factory ammo costs $.40/rd.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestar View Post
    Cheap factory ammo costs $.40/rd.

Thanks guys.
    $21.00 per hundred for Winchester at Wal Mart down here. Perhaps ammo is more in your town.

I load 40S&W with Hodgdon Titegroup 4.1grs for a light practice round, works great with the cheapest 180Gr bullet you can buy in bulk.