Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka Hunting Gear

Default Sitka Hunting Gear

Anyone tried the Sitka line of hunting clothing?

Opinions?
    Marc Theiler

Thumbs up Sitka

Last year I spent almost 4 weeks in the mtns. with a guy who was testing the prototype jacket for Sitka Gear.

He is very particular and knowledgable about gear and material, he recomends it.

Default Sitka Gear

Yeah, I am now on their guide program and just ordered several items from them. They look and feel top-notch. We'll see.
    Marc Theiler

Default cold zero...

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Last year I spent almost 4 weeks in the mtns. with a guy who was testing the prototype jacket for Sitka Gear.

He is very particular and knowledgable about gear and material, he recomends it.
    Do you think there is any chance we can find someone who would be willing to work out a bulk order deal for us? I know you were down on them last year, but maybe there is some hope.

Lightbulb

Bucknrut:

After what i saw in the field last year for almost of month of prototype testing, i knew i was on to something when i recomended their stuff.

that is why i tried to get a bulk buy, so we could have a group buy here for their stuff. Anyone smart would have jumped on board.

the manufacturer would not deal with me directly, even for a large puchase. They put me in contact with one of their retailers, who did not return my call, when i followed up, they would do it at full retail price, for a bulk purchase. That is where the idea died.

As you now know, group buys can be a bunch of work. they can also be good for all involved. Why don't you start another thread to solicit ideas for another group buy? getting a good price from a co. who wants to do business is key to a successful group buy.

although, the Sitka gear is good. I do not need it as i have been wearing a combination of Beyond Fleece of my own design, Mammut gear and frontier gear and have been warm and comfortable in cold and windy conditions.

how about a group buy for Kooldry raingear....

Default Mark Taylor...

..sells Sitka gear in his store on the Old Seward. It's a little too rich for my pocket, but it's there if you want to see what's like.

Default Sitka Gear Arrived

Speaking of Sitka gear, my order arrived today. Tried on everything and it's about the most comfortable hunting clothing I've ever put on. We'll see how well it stands up. I'll be heading down to the lower 48 and Canada to hunt those beloved whitetails here in a few weeks, and I'll see how they do, although I won't be able to get a good gauge of the gear until it's put under the extreme mountain tests, that's really the reason I wanted to give them a try.

We'll see. Nicely made gear though, we'll see...
    Marc Theiler

Default Great Stuff

I haven't tried it myself, but a guy from WV had a sitka jacket and pants on his dall sheep hunt and loved it. Right now he is out on the ak penn in rain and 40 + mph winds after a browny. This afternoon when I flew in to check on our camps, he was definitely in the best mood of the 12 hunters/guides. The guide I am working for says he will be wearing sitka next year.

Default Another source

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    ..sells Sitka gear in his store on the Old Seward. It's a little too rich for my pocket, but it's there if you want to see what's like.
    Yeah, I guess Barney's Sport Chalet has been carrying it a while too. Seems it is popping up here and there...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I own the Mountain pants and shirt and really like the way it performs when hiking in the mountains. The 90% jacket was given a huge thumbs up by Taylor, he wore it the entire time during his Elmendorf archery moose hunt and we all know how much it rained during September. Sitka Gear, the company will not allow any of it's retailers to go below MSRP, if they do Sitka will pull their product from them. I don't believe you will get any better of a deal using a group buy then over a single buy from a retailer.

Default They Can't

They can't tell you what you can sell it for. They can however have a minimum advertised price. If you find a retailer that won't do a group buy because of the MAP, they're full of BS. It's the way the manufacturer forces the retailer to give their product the illusion of quality because of high prices. I'm suspect of any manufacturer that does it.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

If Sitka Gear finds out you are underselling your competitors they will pull the product from your store and you will no longer be able to sell it, believe it if you want to or don't, thats what I was told by a retailer of their products and he is a good friend of mine.

Default sitka gear

I used the Sitka Mountain Pants on my sheep/caribou hunt this year. I was very impressed with them.

Default Price

When you have exclusive agreements, they can absolutely tell a distributor what the minimum allowable resell price is. If I sell less than this, that undercuts the playing field for all Local Distributors; this is how the large volume cutthroats or "out of stater's" poaching outside their territory operate. I deal with this scenario every day-and no, I'm not in retail.

Like it or not, this (can) help keep quality/service in a product as opposed to whoring it out through every Tom, Dick and Harry. Or farming EVERYTHING to Mexico, China, etc. Plus, Customer Service should count for something and if you get 100% satisfaction in this regard, that is worth something. I think Taylor more than meets this criteria.

Default Free Market

To me it limits competition, therby raising prices to consumers. Everybody *****es about the drug and oil industries, but it's OK for a clothing company? These MAP programs skirt the law and have very refined contracts with the distributors. I can guarantee you that they can't just come out and say "you have to sell it at this or you can't carry it". They have other ways to get around it. If customer service is worth paying for, the consumer will pay for it. In this regard I agree with you and usually spend a little more for the service and expertise. But the consumer should have the choice. Do a search on MAP and price fixing. There are industries that have gotten in trouble with the FTC.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    If Sitka Gear finds out you are underselling your competitors they will pull the product from your store and you will no longer be able to sell it, believe it if you want to or don't, thats what I was told by a retailer of their products and he is a good friend of mine.
    Akh45;

You misunderstand what went on. Nothing was done behind anyone's back. I contacted S.G. directly and told them what I/we wanted to do. So, no secret. Since I was present during some of the field testing and had been one of few if any guys here to actually see it in the field, the group buy was attempted before the stuff was even readily available. They put me in contact with their only retailer at that time. The product was barely on the market at that time. The retailer was not interested in the group buy and thats fine. However, it should not take 2-3 calls from me to get an answer from the retailer. If S.G. was so intent at that time to keep their prices fixed, then why would they provide me p.o.c. info' for one of their dealers , when they knew in great detail what I was trying to put together for the members of this site? They wanted to move product.

Bottom line: They have a good product, but like blackfoot said the pricing games they are playing are not -------, so i will not do business with them. There are many other fine options to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    To me it limits competition, therby raising prices to consumers. Everybody *****es about the drug and oil industries, but it's OK for a clothing company? These MAP programs skirt the law and have very refined contracts with the distributors. I can guarantee you that they can't just come out and say "you have to sell it at this or you can't carry it". They have other ways to get around it. If customer service is worth paying for, the consumer will pay for it. In this regard I agree with you and usually spend a little more for the service and expertise. But the consumer should have the choice. Do a search on MAP and price fixing. There are industries that have gotten in trouble with the FTC.
    MAP relates primarily to an industry wide scenario, whereas we're talking about a specific manufacturer's relationship with it's exclusive dealers. I assure you if I sell an engine for under what our contract calls for I will be held accountable. This is illustrated by such things as "jobber", "dealer", and "distributer" pricing. If you don't want to sell by these rules, don't.

If you can buy a competitor product, that's (our) freewill, but don't blame a manufacturer for price protecting their dealer network. Think about it-if I am supposed to be selling at "x" price and Joe Schmo can or sells at 1/2X, what incentive do I have to market a product line in a given area with my overhead? An Exclusive Dealer Agreement prevents this from happening. If I lose a bid or sale by pricing too high relative to the competition, so be it; to be undercut by a fellow Dealer violates the Contract. I know there's been some interest in the Courts over this (the music INDUSTRY comes to mind), but last time I heard there is no Sherman Act conflict with a dealer arrangement-unless maybe you find the right judge (that never happens, of course).

By the way, the reviews of the Sitka stuff sounds pretty good. I'll have to try it.

I was only stating what I know and what I was told as of about 6 montsh ago, what happened before that I am not privy too. I know there's plenty of other optins out there but truth be told, I have no problem spending my hard earned dollars on gear that is more than up to the task........and Sitka Gear fits that bill. I'm sure the gear you buy cost just as much if not more than the SG and thats great, I hope it continues to work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    Think about it-if I am supposed to be selling at "x" price and Joe Schmo can or sells at 1/2X, what incentive do I have to market a product line in a given area with my overhead?
    Reduce your overhead. It's the same as the farmers that gripe all the time. If you can't produce something or sell it as cheap as your competitor, re-evaluate your business, or get out. The consumer wins. I guess we're off topic, but it just burns my butt that products are artificially inflated just because Joe Schmo can't run a business as efficiently as somebody else. What would the Sitka gear cost if it was a free market? I don't have a problem with manufacturers choosing their retailers, but fixing prices is just wrong.

Default Sitka Gear

I used it all hunting season, great stuff, I really like the 90% stuff, a little more durable, the only thing I busted was a belt loop on the mountain pants. The one thing I liked was that this Mountain Mimicry by Mothwing really blends in with most of the rocks and shale in most of the Alaskan Ranges, another plus...this stuff dries within minutes, I waded across streams with it, and wore it without the rain gear in the rain...Good stuff...CK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast