Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise deal, just FYI

Default Vise deal, just FYI

I was in the market for a new vise and I found this Regal C clamp for $139.00, normally see them at the local shops for $225-$250

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...OF-900770-0000

hard on the hands....really heavy spring so if you do any amount of tying I would tell you NO.

The jaws also are not the greatest for holding power, more so on SMALL flies then the bigger goods. You'll zing some 18's and more 20's then you care to go looking for. And it shoot's them GOOD

I have had that vise for a long time and it has served me well. I don't tie much in the small range, but the spring is rather tight. But all in all, I have loved it and it has put out thousands of flies.

I should add, I was commercial tying at the time and doing a couple hundred dozen flies a winter.

This is the vise I started on, and eventually quickly changed away from.

It is a decent vise, but not one I'd recommend to anyone due to the that dreaded spring.

Default LOL TradBow

Regal as you say is an exceptable vise however as with you I have had one nice vise just would not spend the money on it again.

Lots of options out there to include travel series that are of similar price with much more range and much easier to utilize for all fly's.

:-)

The problem is I'm tieing flys on 10/0 & 14/0 long shank circle hooks and short of a set of vise grips or a small but cumbersom bench vise there isn't much out there that will hold a hook with a wire size of .102 I don't mess around with them dainty little hooks.

dunno what you're fishing for but those be some biggggggn's .

I think my dynaking pro can hang onto those. Dont have a 10/0 out as I've packed all my charter goods away though I may have to give it a try.

If you bought a pro, you'd only buy a vise once in your life!!!

I dont get to stuck on rotary for regular tying though I do use it for commercial tying. Rotary is a nice to have deal and really is only good for some flies. The cost of buying it isnt worth what you're getting unless you get into commercial or presentation flies, or maybe get into spinning hair, I could see the benefits there. Though the hair spinning I did was on the pro.

For commercial tying I have the dyna king sidewinder (seeing something here?). It's a sweet vise when you're tying 100 dozen egg sucking leeches (esls) per order and doing a couple orders a winter. Or for flesh flies or any and all bunny flies. It is also a nice vise for presentation work, speys is what I've played around with though I definatly need some work there. Getting the right materials it the most important thing.

I wonder though, with those HUGE hooks how many years you'll be using that vise just for ease of use on your hands. That spring is hell on tendonitis, something I didnt have though I'm wondering if I'm getting. I couldnt ever see using that vise and for that price (low or high end), couldnt see recommending it. There are a few lower end vises albeit not any less effective, that can hold up to 10/0s wish is more then most people need.

SO just what are you fishing for with a 14/0?

TradBow, I started making these flies over 20 years ago in San Diego although back then I was using the Mustad 3138D J style hook in a 5/0-6/0 size and we mostly used them for rockfish down there.

The ones you see in the picture I started making with the circle hooks which are the Mustad EZ Baiter commercial long line hook.

They catch just about everything here out of Eureka, one of my buddies pulled them behind a flasher and an RSK and said they were the killer salmon lure for him this season, the local rockfish and Lings love them and with the 14/0 size the quality of the fish is better plus they don't snag the bottom as bad as a J hook.

The big surprise was that the pacific halibut also eat them when tipped with a small strip of salmon skin for flavor.

The reason I'm in the market for a new vise is that the Herter's #4 vise I'm still using is just about gone after 50 years so I think it's time for a new one.

The Regal is only rated through 5/0. I tied a bunch of 5/0 and 3/0 on mine and the jaws sprung so it won't grip anything smaller than about #10.

Regal talks about a warranty, but that's pure window dressing. I argued with those folks for over a year and never got any replacements. They accused me of everything but rape and wouldn't replace the jaws. I've still got their POS, just because I couldn't bring myself to throw away a chunk of steel I might be able to hacksaw for something else someday.

I now use Dynaking for my big flies. There are others out there for less money that will work. But Regals are only good till something goes wrong. And it will if you tie big flies.

Interesting, what size jaws did you have?

This link takes you to the page for rehab, it's $30.00 to redo the vise.

http://www.regalvise.com/rcmail.html

This is from the web site...

"You may also choose from regular, jumbo or midge size jaws. Regular jaws hold from size 18 to 3/0, jumbo jaws from 4/0 to 14/0, and midge jaws hold from size 32 to 6."

I orderd the Jumbo jaws.

Edit...
    I should add that I did look at Dynaking vises, they are great looking tools but they don't make one for the large size hooks I am using.

Thumbs up Dynaking vises

I have a dynaking kingfisher, and I tie flies that range in size from 5/0 to size 20 dryes. It has served me very well. I would recommend it to anyone.

Here is the link: http://www.dyna-king.com/flyvise_dtl...7&pv=0&pid=082

Jan,

That is definatly interesting. Something I may try for next years charter season. A tip for lings. Try rigging a flasher on a rod, or on the line and run a grub with just a hook off the ball or a clip right above the ball back oh 10 to 15' or so. Run the flasher up 10' or so and run it where you know you aren't going to hang a pinnicle. Found a few places that are basically big flats that holds lots of lings and it works like a champ! The pinnicles work also, and they are much funner on a lighter rod then jigging with a pool cuel.

I tried a 10/0 gamakatsu oshaughnessy number 13020. It didnt fit in my DK Pro, though it was fairly close.

I guess I have to ask, does the hook itself need to be that big? It's easy enough, though another step, to add a piece to the belly, before tying the fly itself to help bulk the fly up That's if bulk is what you're looking for.

I do think a 14/0 is to0 big for most big mouth fishing, like rock fish or lings, even here in Alaska! I do prefer a larger circle for halibut, only to help it turn easier on the bigger fish and give it a bigger hook gap. I'm using owners. If went back to mustads I'd be using the 16's at a minimum, if not larger just to get the hook gap. For no other reason then this gap! That and it's a much sharper hook and much more durable hook (the owners), though I do believe it's over killon the durable part. I do think you can get away using a smaller hook by off setting the hook point some more. WHich you could get away with on your hooks.

SO if you're not tackling 100's of pounds of fish or more, I'd consider using a slightly smaller hook, and getting a better vise. But that's just me. I hated that vise that bad, and I see I'm not the only one. I hated it bad enough I gave it away, literally! Maybe the saying holds true here, one mans trash is another mans treasure! But I bet over time if you can find a vise that can hang onto a larger even 10/0 hook you'll be changing from this vise!

Thanks for the ling tip TradBow, I'll have a go at that next season.

Right now due to an over take of Yellow eye the PFMC and CDFG have shut the rockfish and ling season 3 months early so were almost dead in the water as far as fishing goes.

Too many recreational fishermen here had thier heads up where the sun don't shine and didn't know how to identify Yelloweye so they were keeping them.

About all we can fish for now is halibut, perch and Mud marlin. Kind of a moot point right now as the weather has snotted up some and we can't get out anyway.

Got the vise this afternoon, you're right, it does take a firm squeeze to operate but since I haven't quite lost my grip yet (In spite of what the wife says) I can live with it.

It strikes me that one could take some stainless tubing and make an extension of about 2-3" to the handle which would reduce the force required to operate the jaws.

Sure does hold these big hooks well.

There was only one model of jaws available back when I bought the thing 15+ years ago. And I wasn't about to pay a "reconditioning fee" instead of making them live up to their warranty. I really, really disliked my experience dealing with those folks on the warranty issue. I would hope that today different people are sitting at the phones and a more enlightened attitude prevails at the company. But I'm not about to spend any money or pick up the phone to give them another chance. Hell ain't froze over yet, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There was only one model of jaws available back when I bought the thing 15+ years ago. And I wasn't about to pay a "reconditioning fee" instead of making them live up to their warranty. I really, really disliked my experience dealing with those folks on the warranty issue. I would hope that today different people are sitting at the phones and a more enlightened attitude prevails at the company. But I'm not about to spend any money or pick up the phone to give them another chance. Hell ain't froze over yet, as far as I know.
    How long ago did you attempt to deal with them BrownBear?

The reason I ask is that I was under the impression that the company has recently changed hands and the new folks might be easier to deal with, just a thought.

The saga started within a couple of months of buying the vise and stretched on for a year or more after that. Call it 15 years ago.

If I give the vise away to someone, I'll pass your info along. I'm really happy with my Dynaking, and the Regal is quite a step down. I teach classes a couple of times a year, so there will probably be a taker for a free vise in one of them.

If I still tied the smaller stuff and fly fished like I used to I'd own a Dynaking for sure. Our local shop here has a fairly good selection of vises and I got to play with a couple and they are a well made tool and would be well worth the investment.

As it is I'm lucky to still be able to boat fish.

jan:

that looks like normal retail for the c-clamp regal, at least in the shops around me; a quick look at that website shows the usual 200$ and up for the bronze pedestal bases, if you are into that sort of thing. I remember being warned about some sort of jaw chipping issue on it if the hook isn't set in right. I think this vise, other than the mini-jaws, is for bigger flies.

I think maybe there is some variability in spring strength; it doesn't seem that big a deal to me.

Steve,

There was no variable in the one I had....It just plum sucked for commercial tying on. I couldnt imagine tying what he's tying knowing what I went through. Mind you I was tying as much for speed as we do for perfection. So cranking was not not an option. I'd sit down and tie dozens, or 10's of dozens between breaks. By the end of the nite my hand plum hurt after awhile. call me a wuss, I know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast