Thread: river otter

Default river otter

Does anyone know of any effective trapping methods for river otter other than channel set with conabare traps. Found a couple of otter to trap this up coming season and would like to try a couple different methods if there are some out there.

Also are there any lures that work for river otter.

My Taxidermist gets his River Otters from so fella out West and Ive been waiting for another 6 footer to come in so I can buy one and get it rugged.
    ANyhow what Im getting at is he knows this fella pretty good and he might be able to give you some info on what your wanting to know and he likes to talk.If not I know he'll try and find out.But give Kevin a call at Precision Taxidermy 488-5888
    Daniel

Default Winter Otter trap set

I have used a few methods which have always performed for me here in AK. The number one key is finding their above ice toilet area. I then use five gallon buckets w/ slots cut in it for a 220 coni and bait at the back of the bucket. I always camouflage the bucket or if I don't use a bucket I make a snow cave or little cubby. Rotten fish oil is my preferred bait but sardines have worked in an emergency. Also I try to always use a coni for an otter out of water where it can't be drowned because they fight leg holds hard. Good luck and happy trails.