Thread: Boat Recommendations

Default Boat Recommendations

I am hoping you guys can help me out. I live down in Oregon and currently have a Aire Leopard, which is a great boat. However, I have found that in the last two summers I haven't really spent anytime floating with it just motoring. So I am thinking real hard about getting rid of my Leopard and getting a power boat of some kind. In addition I was out after chinook this last weekend and it got pretty wet. I have lots of people that are willing and want to go but aren't necessarily up for wet rides either physically or mentally.

All that being said I am addicted to the stability and load capacity of my Leopard. It seems like a RIB would be a good choice but I am having a hell of a time finding one used or even a place close that sells them that I could look at. I am also looking at a jet style boat with a wider flat bottom. I don't really have an issue with shallow water where I go so I don't need the depth benefits of a jet motor, but the design appears to be more stable then a Vhull. I don't want to go to long as the rivers around here are fairly narrow. So I am thinking something between a 16-20' max. I also love the fuel consumption of my Merc 9.9 and the noise level. My questions are:

Does anyone make a RIB with aluminum hull?
    Good places to find used RIBs online?
    How much maintenance do they require?
    Anyone know of stores in Central Oregon or even Oregon period?

How stable are the jet boat designs with the flatter bottoms?
    Do they handle more weight then a Vhull?

I guess the biggest question is what is the best approximation of a Leopard as far as capacity and stability in a power boat that will also keep you dryer?

I would appreciate any help I can get.

If you are looking for an aluminum version of a RIB try looking up ACB(aluminum chambered boats) boats.

If you want to stay drier then you will need a windshield and a top. Either canvas or hardtop.

Yes in my opinion boats under 20 feet with flatbottoms or semi v are more stable than a traditional V hull.

Have you looked at Wooldridge's? They are made in Washington.

Also Willie boats, Koffler, Bentz, Rogue Jet Boats, and Riddle Marine all make flatbottom or semi V boats with jets or props and all of them are in the Pacific Northwest.

Default North River

Made in Oregon and many styles to choose from.

Why is it that you have to go so much larger for capacity in an aluminum boat. I am looking for the ability to carry 4 adults with light camping gear or 6 adults for day fishing trips. It seems alot of the aluminum boats are only good for 700 pounds or so. The flatter bottom boats do look better. I guess I got spoiled by the capacity of the leopard.

I appreciate the feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by scothill View Post
    Why is it that you have to go so much larger for capacity in an aluminum boat. I am looking for the ability to carry 4 adults with light camping gear or 6 adults for day fishing trips. It seems alot of the aluminum boats are only good for 700 pounds or so. The flatter bottom boats do look better. I guess I got spoiled by the capacity of the leopard.

I appreciate the feed back.
    Part of that is due to aluminum weighing more than the fabric your cat is made of. Your Cat holding air so it is more buoyant instead of using displacement for buoyancy. Then you have to take into account the weight of the engine on the back.

Yes the most efficient craft would be an inflatable. Have you thought of just getting a Zodiac with an outboard jet or prop? They are very popular in Alaska. Not much for keeping you out of the rain and spray unless you add a top.

Default Stabi-Craft

Does anyone make a RIB with aluminum hull?
    You might want to check out Stabi-Craft. They make the smaller ones you're looking for. They sell them locally here in Alaska, and I was impressed when I saw one.

http://www.stabicraft.com/index.cfm/index.cfm/HomePage

I am looking at a just a zodiac. Basically at this point I am looking at a rib, zodiac with prop outboard, or a flat hull semiV.Part of it is I have to sell my leopard first. Posted it today on craigslist so we will see. At this point I am trying to figure out what boats conform to my requirements and then go from there.

Default Alum hulled RIB

A few people make em. NIAD is the first that comes to mind, and they make them in all sizes. Most of them will have a fiberglass hull in the smaller sizes, but NIAD makes a 15 footer that is alum.. Very cool little boat. RIB's are sort of a pain to make weather protection on because the tubes move a bit, but I did it to mine, and love it.

Chris

Default 2 cents

To answer your questions:

1 & 4: Consider an ALMAR RAIV: They make a great Alum Hulled RIB. I'm pretty sure they are made in the northwest (either WA or OR).

Check them out at http://www.almarboats.com/2004/content/raiv.php

They make smaller models with sport jets. If you are looking for a seaworthy boat that you can also take up a river I think it's a great choice.

BUT there are some negatives. The bigger boats (18+ footers) can get a bit heavy and wouldn't be any fun getting off a sandbar. Also they will draft a bit deeper than other traditional river boats due to a deeper V.

Also the cabins are usually smaller, with just room for one or two people standing side by side, so two of your passengers would be out of luck and exposed to the elements (invest in survival suits)

As for being stable.... an ALUM RIB is very stable even with a Vhull.

In regards to your other questions:

#2: I’ve looked for RIB’s online… and there is nothing local really… There was a good looking RIB on Craigslist this summer with twin outboards.

#3: Depends on how well you care for your RIB. Keep the tubes covered not in use (UV) and clean them at the end of the season and it’ll last a long time. If you pop them, no big deal you can fix it or get a new tube.

Look up S.A.F.E. boats out of WA. I know intimatley that they provide for law enforcement and mil ops mostly, but I have seen that they sell some of their used boats on their site. I have personnally driven, for about three years, a 16' open hulled work skiff custom made by them that was smokin. It held up in all SEAK sea conditions and I did put it through those tests extensively. You get lucky on a used one from them, but they can be spendy.

Default plenty of sellers

A RHIB is a great boat. Do a search here, as some of us users have posted about ours. I have a Ribcraft (ribcraftusa.com) and love it. Check out polarisboats.com, safeboats.com, and northwestmarine.com for starters. If you want info on RHIBS, check out rib.net. Our friends across the Atlantic run them by the score. You will spend a lot of money, but you will forget all that when you are not rocking and rolling on the water. PM me some time if you'd like any other opinions on said boats. john