Thread: Sorry for the long absence

Default Sorry for the long absence

But Alaska has been good to me and my photography but horrible for my hunting! I have taken 4 different trips for moose including a 7 day jet boat trip up the yukon, Kandik and the charlie without seeing a single moose. Also took a trip through Denali the weekend after the busses quit and that yielded nothing for my photography as well. Its been a tough year, but when it has been good, it has been really, really good! Here are a couple shots from a few of my other recent photo treks.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

You got to spend 7 days on the Yukon and Kandik rivers, Cory? Sorry, but I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for you, moose or not.

As always, love the pictures. On a side note, I checked out that wolf den that I was telling you about last weekend and there were no signs of them. Perhaps next spring we should take a walk in there, as they're more likely to be around in the spring/early summer.

WOW! That bull with a cow is big. Why didn't you shot that one?

Just kidding. That was was probably in a refuge somewhere, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You got to spend 7 days on the Yukon and Kandik rivers, Cory? Sorry, but I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for you, moose or not.

As always, love the pictures. On a side note, I checked out that wolf den that I was telling you about last weekend and there were no signs of them. Perhaps next spring we should take a walk in there, as they're more likely to be around in the spring/early summer.

The Yukon and kandik were incredible places, but 7 days without seeing as much as a cow was killing me! Didnt see a single legal critter whatsoever! Saw lots of bear and wolf sign but no bears or wolves and very little moose sign. We even did some predator calling to try and get a fox or two. We stayed at Slavins roadhouse for a few nights and met some really great people though and the country was well worth the trip.

I was wondering about that wolf den. I had a wolf cross the road in front of my car a few weeks ago on the way to church, but of course I didnt have the camera with me. And he posed nicely for about 2 minutes or more. Very cool experience! We definitely need to get out sometime though. Have you done any hiking into the turnagain arm area. I saw some pretty big rams I would like to try and find a way to get up to. I am sure they come down lower, but to catch them in the rocks with the mountain tops for backgrounds would be the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    WOW! That bull with a cow is big. Why didn't you shot that one?

Just kidding. That was was probably in a refuge somewhere, right?
    Yes, unfortunitely most of the animals I photograph cannot be hunted. Thats good for the photography though so I cant complain about that too much!

Very nice moose shots, excellent.

Great shots Cory! I was beginning to think you got transferred out!! I was pretty disappointed in Denali this year also. Glad to see you back.
    EricL

Default Cory

Wlecome back. Love your photos!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    We definitely need to get out sometime though. Have you done any hiking into the turnagain arm area. I saw some pretty big rams I would like to try and find a way to get up to. I am sure they come down lower, but to catch them in the rocks with the mountain tops for backgrounds would be the goal.
    Yep, I have - and can certainly put you on some rams in early summer if you want to spend some time climbing. Remind me when spring comes around and we'll give it a shot.

Default Cory, a question

Cory, how far were you able to make it up the Kandik? We had some rain for a couple days around the 18th that brought the river up 3". Wondering how much other traffic there was on the lower river too?
    We didn't have much luck farther upriver here either. At least I hope you brought your fishing pole to catch some of the grayling in the river, and pike too in the sloughs and at the mouth.

Thanks Dave, Eric and wolfhorn. Its good to be back and I will try and frequent more often.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Cory, how far were you able to make it up the Kandik? We had some rain for a couple days around the 18th that brought the river up 3". Wondering how much other traffic there was on the lower river too?
    We didn't have much luck farther upriver here either. At least I hope you brought your fishing pole to catch some of the grayling in the river, and pike too in the sloughs and at the mouth.
    Well, by boat we only made it 3 miles up to the rock ledges. I think we could have made it up above them, but it wasnt worth trying that far out. We ended up hiking about another 3 miles up river and hunting our way back through that area to the boat. We stayed at Slavens that night and met Jim and Lori Wilde from Central with another guy from Texas. they were going to try and go all the way up to see the other guys brother Don about 20-25 miles up river I think. We ended up heading down river that night so not sure how far they made it. Only saw one other guy camped at the mouth on the gravel bars. I did give the fishing a try. Didnt catch many grayling but we did get quite a few pike at the mouth. They were really odd colored. Kind of silvery blue. Never seen anything like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, I have - and can certainly put you on some rams in early summer if you want to spend some time climbing. Remind me when spring comes around and we'll give it a shot.
    I am definitely up for that. I need to get some pictures of them with the fall colors and in the snow as well though so I will have to work on them over the next few weeks as well.

I thought you might be out hunting. Surprised to hear you saw nothing up on the Yukon. Your pics look great! Did you get any pics of the oddly colored pike?

Cory, thanks for the update. The reef at 3-mile has been preventing a lot of boat traffic the last few years. Don's place is at 14 mile, hope Jim was able to make it up there, not many jetboat drivers are as good as him. Glad you got to meet them.
    Best,

Default An Inspiration

Cory, once again you have amazed us all with your photography. Speaking for myself, your photos drive me to do better and to try and improve on one of my favorite hobby’s. You are truly an inspiration.

Thank You Much.

http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out.” ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"