Thread: scopes???

Thumbs up scopes???

Just wondering what most alaskan hunters are putting on their 338's or similar rifles.

I have a leupold 3X9 40mm thats just sitting around. Enough scope do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AggieHunter View Post
    Just wondering what most alaskan hunters are putting on their 338's or similar rifles.

That's exactly the scope that I have on my 338. Why you would need more scope is beyond me.

I second what Brian said. Same scope I have on my .338 and there is no need for anything more.

Same here. I don't buy anything other than Leupold.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Would the same size scope be just fine for a .300, i am going to be getting one with my dividend and need a scope to go with it.

Default leo 3x9

good field of view - great optics - required target picture....

What more do you want?

My 7mm Rem Mag and 338 Win Mag both have Leupold VXII 3x9x40's on them. Great scope.

Leupold and Burris. Can't get any better.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Preference

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    Leupold and Burris. Can't get any better.

I have Bushnell, Simmons, and Nikon and they are all very good for as much as I use them.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Scopes

I like the Zeiss Conquest series of scopes for my rifles. I grew up using Leupold scopes and those worked just fine, but I really like the clarity and brightness of my current scopes. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 on my .300 Weatherby Mag and used it hunting this year with success.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

No Leupolds for me.

I'm using a 4X Weaver K4 right now, and previously a Bushnell Legend 2x7

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Lightbulb

I have used the Zeiss Conquest 3-10x44mm for 9 seasons now, a lot of scope for the money. worth checking into.

Default budget

That is the bottom line. You put what you can afford on it. Many people buy expensive rifles and then don't have the money and buy cheap optics, when it really shoud be the other way around. With quality comes clarity and light gathering. That can make the difference, especially in the morning and evenings when an extra 10 minutes could make the difference. I have a feeling that may not make such a difference in alaska due to the longer hours of light but I would let the residence who are the experts comment on that aspect. As far as Leopold goes, that is what I have on most of my rifles and think that you couldn't go wrong there.

I have a Nikon 3-9x40 on mine. I don't think light gathering is a major issue. Maybe if you're deer hunting in November or bear hunting in Oct/Nov. I have always used Redfield and Nikon scopes and haven't had any missed opportunities because of them. I'm not the guy who is going to fork out $500+ for a scope; I've been happy with Nikon and will stick with them.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Budget...That is the bottom line. You put what you can afford on it. Many people buy expensive rifles and then don't have the money and buy cheap optics, when it really shoud be the other way around. With quality comes clarity and light gathering. That can make the difference, especially in the morning and evenings when an extra 10 minutes could make the difference. I have a feeling that may not make such a difference in alaska due to the longer hours of light but I would let the residence who are the experts comment on that aspect. As far as Leopold goes, that is what I have on most of my rifles and think that you couldn't go wrong there.
    Right on the money. Swarovski, Leupold, Khales, Ziess, all good scopes but if you were to look through the swaro vs. the leupold, there would probably be a noticable difference (and if youre paying swarovski price, you should get good optics and you will). As far as binoculars go, I wouldn't go with anything but swarovski and that is just my personal opinion. A riflescope on the other hand...probably not. With my binos, I might be looking through those for hours upon hours upon hours during a year but only a few seconds at a time for a riflescope. I just cant justify paying over a grand for a scope. IMO, leupold makes a great scope and is probably what I would mount.

The answer is you don't want more until you see something significantly better, in my case a 3-12x56 Swarovski. I was perfectly happy with my Leupolds until the Swarovski became available at a deal I could not refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieHunter View Post

I also have a 3-9x40 Vari-X II on my .338. No problems with it.

No need to buy another scope if you have that one "just sitting around".

Thumbs up 3-9x40 Vxii

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    I also have a 3-9x40 Vari-X II on my .338. No problems with it.

No need to buy another scope if you have that one "just sitting around".
    Make that another one for 3-9 Vari-X II on my .338 as well.