Thread: 325wsm & 338-300wsm

Default 325wsm & 338-300wsm

My son and I just received our new rifles in today from McMillans, the stock work is finally completed. Here are a couple of pics of the rifles; my son's new 325 WSM is the one with the dark camo stock, mine is the one with the marbled camo stock. I call my camo pattern "Tundraflage" since it resembles the coloration of the tundra. Both rifles have Montana Rifle Company 1999 BSRM Stainless Steel actions and MRC #3 contour barrels, the 325 WSM has a 24" barrel, the 338-300 WSM has a 23" barrel. Triggers have been adjusted to 3 lb pull. LOP on my son's rifle is 13.50" and LOP on my rifle is 13.75". Rifles arrived just in time for my son's 19th birthday. MRC was kind enough to stamp my son's name on his rifle, which I thought was pretty cool of them.
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 03-17-2008 at 19:17.

Default Tundraflage

Just wanted to add, both barrels have recessed target crowns and fiberglass stocks are fitted with Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pads.
    And for anyone that is curious "Tundraflage" is a term I came up with years ago, before folks started to get creative with camouflage patterns.

Very nice looking rifles.

That's a great present for a 19-year old.

Thanks RayfromAK, the rifle is actually a threefold gift. When he graduated from High School and made a decision to go to college I told him I am having a rifle built for him as a graduation gift and to show that I am pleased with his decision to further his education. 5 months later the rifle is finished and it arrives just in time for his birthday. Great timing.

Default Nice

Good job on that. (Gift for his hard work). With his birthday right there also, just the better.

Default weight?

great looking finished guns! what do they weigh? what bullet/performance are you getting out of the 338 wsm?

thanks, and good job encouraging your boy.

forty below

Good looking rifles there. I like your tundraflage. So MRC did chamber for the 338. They have told me on two occasions that they wouldn't chamber for non SAAMI rounds. I guess maybe since the parent case is SAAMI'd, they did that one. It has become a pretty standard wildcat. That should be a couple of nice rifles for you and your son, a matched pair, very nice.

Forty below, the 338 will give about 2750 with 225 grain bullets and the 338 mag is 2800-2850 fps with 225 grain bullets. The 338-06 with 225 grain bullets will be about 2600-2650 fps. I'll say the 338 WSM lies in the middle betweeen the mag and the '06 case.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

forty below, Just received the rifles this morning, haven't weighted them yet.

Murphy, MRC has the 338-300 WSM barreled actions available on their website. I bought my barreled action on one of the auction sites, paid have of what they are selling for now. Now I need some 338-300 WSM ammunition. I have some brass that came with the barreled action. Wanna load some cartridges?