Thread: Shooting Sticks For 4" 500 S&w

Default Shooting Sticks For 4" 500 S&w

thinking of using my 500 for some hunting but figure i should use shooting sticks. any suggestions on particlular brand or style that would work better for the 500 S&W with 4" barrel.

Anyone else hunting with 500?

thanx in advance- Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default huntinw/500

Hi Pat,, I shoot the 4in barrel also,, I have never actually hunted with it ,as i just carry it while huntin with trad bow,,,But i do shoot it regularly trying diff grains of bullets,, and find it is not real acurate out past 25yds( at least for Me!!) an thats OK..at least with the 400gr bullets.. the 275gr are much more controllable...I would probably hunt with the 6 or 8in barrel though,,, Just my thoughts Good luck ,,James in Co

i originally got mine for back-up while bowhunting. well if i can get good groups with it i will hunt out to that maximum range that is why i asked about shooting sticks. if not i will probably give up project but doubtful i will i will purchase 2nd 500. i would be please to have range to even 50 yards, not looking to shoot long shots.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

The deal that has worked for me is to use my walking stick for support for everything from camera to pistol or rifle. Just that little bit of extra support makes all the difference in the world.

If you already have a walking stick, your set. If not, buy a good one. You'll sure get alot of use out of it. The folding kind works vary well and slips in or on your pact. Takes a lot of weight off your back also.

Thumbs up

I agree with BigAl on the walking stick . They work great .
    I also use a custom set I made out of a 3 season aluminum tent poles that can break down and fit into the pack .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

well i have long handled mountain axe and telescoping treking pole i will hve to try, if that would be enough that would be great.
    thanx for your input-Pat

Default Hey Pat,

Pat,

I have been shooting a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70 with a 10 inch barrel. I was using a telescoping walking stick and it worked pretty good, but I was still a little wobbly. I took 3 old carbon arrow shafts and put a heavy rubber band around them to make a tri-pod that I could sit down and shoot off of. It works great and is really light to carry. I know, I know --- poor people have poor ways.
    Did you get any deer on your escapade to the lower 48? Hope you had a good trip.
    Talk to you later,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by snagbro1 View Post
    Pat,

I have been shooting a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70 with a 10 inch barrel. I was using a telescoping walking stick and it worked pretty good, but I was still a little wobbly. I took 3 old carbon arrow shafts and put a heavy rubber band around them to make a tri-pod that I could sit down and shoot off of. It works great and is really light to carry. I know, I know --- poor people have poor ways.....

Naw... "cheap but efffective".....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Andy, PM'ed you about hunt.
    sounds like good idea with carbon shafts i have plenty will try that as well Thanx Pat

The thing I like about the walking stick is the rubber boot that keeps it from sinking into the mud. I don't find the need for adjusting the height as my hand slides up and down the stick just fine. I found for me in my old age, that the less I have to lug around, the happier I am.

I see these guys on the hunting programs with the folding bi-pods and wonder if they will ever use them after the hunt they did for TV? I bought a pair, mounted them and slung the rifle over my shoulder. I knew that would never fly for me at that point, took them off and now they set in some forgotten box.

Just my two cents on this stuff.

Default pole cat

I use the polecat for my 500 and it doubles as a walking stick..about $50.