Thread: FMA Success?

Question FMA Success?

I spent the past week hunting areas all over town.. Never heard or saw a bull. I only saw a couple cows. Anyone else have any luck? Seems the good spots around town are getting more and more crowded and less and less moose. Not sure I like that.

Default Where FMA bull moose?

I agree....I was lucky to draw a FMA cow tag last year and filled that one...lots of cows around.

This year I didn't move around too much, but found a very good remote, I thought prime spot (lots of moose sign) on the back side of Ft. Wainwright...very boggy but a great place to take my ATV with tracks..floats right on top of the muskege.

Saw lots of cows but no bulls....drifted down the Chena too near post...no luck there either.

I think maybe there are less bulls, or more pressure and they are moving out of the FMA during hunting season.

Oh well..heading down to Delta this weekend, got drawn for a cow tag down there....so hoping to slay a cow...got some good spots already scouted...killed a grizz down there this summer...so lots of cows...

Good luck...doesn't the FMA moose bow hunting re-open sometime in November??

Default some successes

I know several folks that brought home meat. Several others told me about bulls in areas they did not see hunters. I did not go look myself as the freezer is full from another hunt.
    As more people become certified, there will be added pressure to hunt the FMA. Something we should think about is a proposal to the advisory committee to expand late season bowhunting opportunities in other parts of 20B that do not detract from non-bowhunter opportunities.

Default FMA

I seen 7 bulls 5-26 sep when i hunted the FMH all were either goldstream area or dike road i had 3 withing 20 ft but I had a cow tag. alot of hunters and seen some good numbers of cows and bulls. ended up taking a small cow.

Default Goldstream area

I have heard that area has a lot of moose in it. I didn't work that hard at it this year/didn't go to that area since I have a Delta Moose cow tag that started 01 OCT. Thanks for the heads up...I will have to try that area next year.

Default Cough, cough

I am coming down with a cold (cough) and should not be in school Friday to contaminate (cough) the kids.

I really did not see a lot of hunters out there. No bulls yet. Only 2 uncooperative cows and a BlackHawk pilot that practiced search and rescue patterns over the top of my ground blind for an hour.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I hunted the FMA from Sept. 13-15. Mostly hunted the area off of Bellaine road and did not see a single cow or bull in there. Tons of sign, but no animals. Sure wish I was like the others that have posted here that said they saw tons of cows. My cow tag expires Nov. 27, but I am not too keen on the idea of hunting Fairbanks in November. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get back up there.

Talking Exploding tips

Hey Daveinthebush,

Too bad you didn't have exploding arrow tips and could have taught that UH-60 a lesson LOL....sorry to hear about the misfortune

ruschin,

Unfortunatly this is not ment to be a quality hunt, like say tok, delta, or a chugach hunt.

This hunt is there for us to thin the moose herd down to help with problems, car collisions, etc.

It appears to me fish and game is doing a good job of it, well we are doing a good job if it, they are regulating it very well. The number of moose when I arrived in 95 in the FMA was awesome. There was no point in going anywhere. Now I dont even waste my time putting in for the cow tag. Though I should have not knowing at the time that the season was extended for cows from sept 1 till the end of the thanksgiving hunt frame.

I should add, I did hunt one morning for about 2 hours and saw 2 bulls, neither of which were approachable due to wind and no real room to maneuver due to where they were at. The first bull was on his way into a closed area. The second bull must have caught a hint of my stink, he was gone with the wind. I did get him to talk and rake a little bit, but the noise of the city finally shut him down.

Default Wish I had more time

I agree about the goals of F&G. I really do want there to be less moose around Fairbanks.. These dark nights before snow is on the ground can be spooky driving around.

That said, I am DYING not having moose or caribou in my box for te firsttime since I was 10. if any of you out there want help or want to team up on an adventure across the Tanana for a cow or two let me know. I dont have a boat, but I will help howver i can to be hunting still.

Has anyone hunting the areas open to archery south of Nenana for cows? I am even desperate enough to think about 4 wheeling the rex in hopes of a stray cow..

Desperate times call for desperate measures.. and 2 kids and an expectant wife add to the pressure..

I have seen 2 huge cows the past 2 days..

Default Headed up there this weekend

Well, I should be headed up that direction sometime this weekend to poke around a bit for a few days. Hopefully I can stumble into one of those cows that people have been talking about to fill my DM788 permit. I'll have to let you know how it turns out.

Default Cow

If you can get onto Ft. Wainwright I know where a cow is...I believe that permit you are allowed to take one with a calf...this one has a calf and I have almost ran over her several times on the road coming out of the field and had her charge me once.....probably my fault I was calling for fun and she thought I was intruding on her territory or I was a bull...LOL

Anyways if you want more info PM me or send me an email to sweetmokn@hotmail.com

good luck

Default Thanks

I have a couple of areas that I am going to check out first. If that doesn't pan out, I may get in touch with you. I am not really feeling like targeting a cow with a calf, but it might come down to something along those lines. I have a little time to play with, so no rush right away.

Default Gone

I will be gone starting Friday night for the weekend to head to Delta to fill my cow tag and hopefully fishing at DCW. Good luck

Default seen moose in FMA

just went to the resteraunt/bar off goldstream and seen 4 moose all cows with no claves right next to road 2 off of chena hot springs rd and 2 off goldstream. i am heading up to try caribou off of haul road this weekend but if any out of area hunters, come to fairbanks pm me and i will let you know or show you where i seen moose.

Default It's Official

It is offical. I'm sick on Monday

Load the ATV and truck tonight, Jet Boil for soup at lunch, winter boots..... and heavy clothes.

Default Hmmm, where did the moose go?

Okay, here is a quick rundown of a very frusterating hunt.

I spent over 5 full days hunting the FMA looking for nothing more than an antlerless moose. I know some people have said that they were not seeing many around, but I figured I should be able to find something in a good week. Well, the final total was two young bulls (probably 3-year olds) both spotted while driving to where I was intending to hunt, and who knows how many hundred miles on my car moving from one place to another and some road hunting inbetween to warm up between hikes. Not a single cow or calf moose spotted.

Actually, the interesting thing was that the weather was about perfect. Almost no moon and a little fresh snow a couple of days, making it easy to tell if any tracks were fresh. What I found was that in each of the areas where I found fresh tracks, I hunted pretty hard and never saw another fresh track in the area for the rest of the trip. It was as if the moose would hang out in an area UNTIL I checked in and then would never come back.

I tried everything in the book. From slowly, quietly walking the ATV trails, to fast walking, making a little more noise so maybe I could move a bedded down moose, to heading out before light and sitting and spotting for hours where I had seen fresh tracks. I tried hunting from foot to hunting from a mountain bike (great way to cover a bit more area and in the right conditions can be quieter than on foot). I checked out essentially the entire FMA, from Murphy Dome Road, to Ester Dome to North Pole and Peede Road area.

I even tried the other things, such as heading out with none of my hunting gear other than the bow (figuring that you always find what you are looking for when you don't have the equipment to deal with it). Even the superstitious things were not working.

I think the closest I got to a brown furry thing was the brown bear that was trying to avoid me as much as I was trying to avoid it. I went out one trail, seeing nothing, came back and took a side trail, spotting the fresh bear tracks, then back on the first trail to try further out just to find the fresh tracks (that weren't there the first time about 10 minutes ago) heading the same way I was going. I decided to let the bear do it's thing and go check out another area for a while.

I don't know what to say. Maybe the bulls still have the cows grouped up where I wasn't looking. Maybe they are just outside of the hunt area right now. Either way, I guess I will have have to try back in a few weeks to see if I can stumble across anything. At least I know a few good (at least they SHOULD be good) places to check out the next time.

Final Tally:
    - 2 bull moose
    - 2 fox
    - dozens of rabbits and grouse (it was hard not to start shooting them with the bow out of frusteration but couldn't justify wasting a broadhead and an arrow possibly)
    - 1000 plus miles on the car (counting the drive up and back)
    - 0 (zero) legal moose ANYWHERE

Anyone else having any luck?

Default Lat time up

Last time up I got within 35 yards of a cow with a bad quartering away shot with lots of brush. I tried to get around to the side more but walked right into a bigger cow facing me. Busted! They were the last I saw except a cow and calf in a no hunting area just before dark.

I think they may be avoiding any area that is freezing up and has thin ice on it or thin ice on the boggs. I was 200 yards off of the road and busted through sinking up to my chest when the top of a frozen bogg gave way. The water is cold and my waterproof Danners are not so waterproof when imersed 4 feet deep. The moose just might be smart enough to figure it out.

I think anywhere you can find a food source that is not covered up yet or dead you are going to be into moose. I did find one food source in an unexpected place just before I left last week. Tracks all over the place. I am going to try that area next time up.

Along the Yukon when I lived in Nulato, the moose migrated to the Yukon and lived on the willows all winter. Fairbanks.... I can't tell ya.

Lots of hares and fox though. Spooked one walking along a trail as he popped out with a hare in his mouth. Might of had dinner and a pelt with a gun.

Some other places I checked were fruitless too. I had been seeing them there but now they were gone. Yes it does seem like there are less moose.

Default Had the same thought

I was thinking the same thing about them avoiding the wet areas. I was doing good, walked over a little puddle/pond 3 times before breaking through on trip #4. Luckily it was just to my knees and only got a little water up the legs and down the boots, nothing bad since I was walking a lot and keeping things warmed up. The outside of the pants made a little more noise once they froze though.

I figure I will give them another few weeks and head back up. That should give them a chance to spread out again and maybe return to the areas we would expect to see them. At least I can hope for that...

Good luck, but leave one out there for me .