Thread: canopy

Default canopy

Where is the cheapest place to order on for the back of your boat?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary, I wouldn't necessarily go for the cheapest with your boat - it's too nice.

I'm having a slant back (for storage purposes) done at Buster's. I was quoted $575, which should pay for itself in just a couple of years versus shrinkwrapping. I could just tarp it I guess, but I want it to look nice even when it's stored!

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do the front of the boat . . .

Cheers,

SH

SH, With the slant back can you fish with it up? Does it have rear and side windows? This would help in me taking the lucky lady out even when it's raining.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

+/- $550 For a sloping back deck cover to fit my 22' SeaRunner HT @ Fineline Interiors in Anchorage. It is for storage & traveling only ~ you would have to have really short legs to fish under it. They make deck covers that you can fish under, but I'd say that they'll be a lot more money because of the tube struts that they use for support.

A slope back won't work for me... Also with the cover I can sleep on the deck and stretch out without thinking if it's going to rain or not.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You might try and give Compeau's a call and see who makes theirs in north pole.
    They made mine for my Sport Jon and it seems to be well make.
    Hope this helps.

Compeau's
    4122 Boat Street
    Fairbanks, AK 99709

(800) 478-7669

Default Lugo's on Dowling

JR done mine. He does seats and what not. I did bring my own bars

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    SH, With the slant back can you fish with it up? Does it have rear and side windows? This would help in me taking the lucky lady out even when it's raining.
    Gary, I'm looking for a storage top only - the one's you're thinking of won't hold a snowload during the winter . . .

I have a friend who has the same boat, he did the retractable top thing and loves it - but then again he uses his for moose hunting on the Yukon, and needs the additional cover to bunk the fourth hunter . . .

Best,

John

Default Don't Throw a Tarp On Top of Your Canvas Cover

According to Buster's the most common, and worst mistake, you can make is to throw a plastic tarp on top of your boat canvas cover while the cover is on the boat and then store it that way for the winter. He said the best thing to do is remove the canvas cover and store it inside for the winter. You should use a separate boat cover for winter storage...............I was recently disenchanted when I learned this because I thought I did not need to go get a different boat cover for winter storage. He also said strapping an inflatable directly to the canvas top is bad. Apparently the plastic/rubber direct contact against the plastic treated boat canvas is bad for the canvas and will reduce its waterproof life span. ...............Call Buster's and ask the owner he will give you all the details of proper boat canvas care.

Call Ben at Silver Streak boats, behind West Marine they can answer all your questions. Better yet go see them talk with his daughter she is the one that makes the tops.

Silverstreak, Spenard, and Busters all have great reputations in town for making outstanding boat tops and canvas covers.

None of the snap on canvas tops are made for a snow load. They work great while driving the boat and towing it but will start top sag or eventually stretch and split due to the excessive weight of snow on them.

I have the camper back on mine and love being able to keep everything inside dry and having the extra sleeping space is a bonus with three kids and the dog aboard!

If they give you an option on materials go with what they recommend don't scrimp on it.