Thread: successful horseback hunt

Default successful horseback hunt

This has got to be the funnest way to hunt moose. We were about 12 miles from the truck and completely alone (except for the moose). Got to watch this guy chasing 2 forkies around before he finally gave me a good look at his brow tines, then the fun ended...well not really. We weighed each bag being loaded and this is what we found. Hindquarters weighed in at 99lbs each, front quarters were 74lbs each and the loose meat/other came in at 150lbs, antlers at 25lbs. I believe we loaded each horse with 20% of body weight. They did great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a unique rack with the realy thick tine coming off the right side what did the rack measure? Looks like a realy fun trip. Congrats

Sounds like a great hunt. Nice looking moose, I love the odd tines sticking off the main palms. Very unique! It has to be nice going in on horses and having no noises except nature around you. I am impressed you all actually weighed everything and loaded up the horses properly. That takes some time and experience.

Default moose hunt

was this a guided hunt or your horses? I would love to hunt moose that way.

RC

This was the 4th moose we've packed out with these horses (in as many years). I think we (the humans and the horses) are getting better at this. We do weigh the loads to make sure they are balanced and within weights for each horse. The bull was 46" and had the neat "club" tine. I've hunted moose via 4 wheeler, air, boat....but by far, have to say this is the most enjoyable way to hunt. Its just really fun to be able to cruise the backcountry on horseback. Very different pace for hunting. Logistically, more thought is required, but everything has its price. And yes, these horses belong to us, no guide. These few weeks, makes the rest of the year of horse ownership (and cost) worthwhile.

Its been years sicne my family and I had horses but those were always the best trips. Ive been over Denali, Eureka, ship creek and parts of Willow, and its great. I personally think the horses increase the luck because of the sounds they do make, but at the same time how quiet it can be.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Awesome...

I'm really interested in hunting on horseback, but until I visit my in-laws in South Dakota I don't really have access to the ponies...

Hopefully someday I'll get the chance.

Great job on the hunt!

man alive that looks like fun! Nice pics too, something you dont see much of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Its been years sicne my family and I had horses but those were always the best trips. Ive been over Denali, Eureka, ship creek and parts of Willow, and its great. I personally think the horses increase the luck because of the sounds they do make, but at the same time how quiet it can be.
    I agree. Last year's bull met us on the trail and wouldnt get off. I helped him on that one. I think he heard the horses walking and thought he'd won the jackpot with "girls". At the least, they'll stand there and try to figure out what the strange growth is on those funny looking moose.

Good story and nice moose! Our mules on a elk hunt this year didnt mind a moose along the trail until she stood up and then they wanted to run for it. Always good times with the horses and mules. LOL

My dad just got some horses again so we are looking to start investigating some good areas to hunt. Should be fun!
    Last edited by DMan; 10-06-2007 at 21:28. Reason: sp
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!