Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many hunts

Default How many hunts

Just curious on how many hunts everyone does in a year. This is not just Alaska hunts but any hunts.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Counting day hunts and weekend hunts (which is about all I do), I can count 11 hunts that I've done so far this year, and I'm going to do at least 2 more - maybe 3 or 4. My success rate isn't as high as those who do a couple of week-long hunts, but I get to spend a lot of time in the field, and for that I am very happy!

Default 1

almost always 1 long one - at least 2 weeks.

this year I've only gotten out 6 times last year I probably hunted ducks ~25 days.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default more than a day

I try to get out every weekend I can. This does not include single day FMU bow, local grouse/hare hunts, etc.
    Spring Bear Baiting May 5 through June 15 (minimumum 2 nights per week)
    August sheep/bow (6 days)
    Sept waterfowl opening (3 days)
    Yukon/koyukuk moose/ bow (10 days)
    October late season waterfowl (hope for freezeup, 2 days)
    October SouthCentral Mtn. black bear/bow (we pray, we pray, we pray)
    November Michigan whitetails/bow (with my daughter/shotgun)
    November FMU bow moose/bow
    December is looking pretty gloomy right now.

Wink

Gary,Not counting day hunts used to be about 4, turkey, deer, bear, in those some backpack type hunts. Now when talking day, semi day hunts, for whitetails, ducks, geese 7 to 20,30 miles from my home might be as many as 5/ or 6 a week from OCT. 1 ST, through Jan, 31 st. Most of those for deer are bowhunts. Bill PS forgot to add in the early goose season Sept, almost the whole month, about 6 semi day hunts in there also.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I do out a do day hunts for small game.
    I usually do one week long hunt a year.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I usually do two hunts each of about 10 days in length and quite a few day hunts for ptarmigan during the winter. My longer hunts usually consist of a sheep hunt and a hunt for something else later. This year no sheep, rather moose in September and deer on Kodiak in November. Last year it was a sheep hunt in August and a goat hunt on Kodiak in October.

It depends on the year but I try to at least 1 big trip a year. This year I have 3--1 down, 2 to go, plus day trips for small game or varmint calling.

Usually 1 big hunt consisting of one week long or longer a year. But I'll do several day/weekend hunts throughout the year. It puts me in the field for 30 days or so a year... I'd like to do more....

Default hunting trips

I try to sneek out on several weekend / day trips each year but so far this year I have only had 2 big hunts, 14 days for moose float hunt and 6 days for spring bear.

about 20 serious week long or better hunts...but thats my job too...personal hunts...MAYBE one.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I week black bear, 1 week deer, 1-2 weeks moose (but not every year, although I plan to start going every year again starting next year), 2-3 days birds (weekends), 4-8 days duck (weekends), 1-2 day rabbit (weekends).

Default 1 or 2

I usually do one for a minimum of 10 days to 2 weeks and one for a week. The 2 week hunts are always the best. The longer I am out there the better the chances are.

Its probably best measured by number of days spend hunting per year. I'm at 43 days I think. Thats two trips so far this year along with day and weekend hunts.

Shoot, I read this thread and thought it would be good to know how many of you guys were married too? If I hunted anywhere near 50 days a year, my wife would be outta here. I probably average one day a week from August 1st to January, so about 20 days total. I consider myself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Shoot, I read this thread and thought it would be good to know how many of you guys were married too? If I hunted anywhere near 50 days a year, my wife would be outta here.
    That's why you've got to convince your wife to come along! My wife is right at my side about half of the time that I'm in the field, often with a rifle of her own in her hands.

for big game I am usually out about 20 days in a year.

50 days would make me single too.

Yes I am married and would love to bring her as much as possible. But we also have four kids. Three of which did get to out with me at least once each this year for moose.

I'm pretty much a Juneau day-hunter. Home is "base camp."

So it goes like this, I wake up, look outside, and if it looks like it might be nice, then I might be hunting. Slightly damp, I'll flip a coin. And, if it is sideways rain, the only thing that would get me in the field would be a visiting hunter on a time budget.

Given that this year has been pretty wet (by Juneau standards), and, that I haven't had to accomodate anyone else's schedule, I haven't been out much...which is most unfortunate for you all.

On average, I'd say 10 - 20 times per year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast