Thread: Whitters dock upgrage

Default Whitters dock upgrade

I guesses this winter they are going to add or up grade a launch at the end of the road.. From what I was told this launch will not be affected by the tide. Which will be nice.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 09-30-2007 at 21:56.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Private Party

A private land owner plans on that far end is going to try and add a dock and improve the launch and wants to add parking. A good friend of her's told me. With all the permits and what not it's going to be a battle. I'm going to watch the Whittier web site and see if there are any puplic hearings.
    Like every thing else there will be folks come out of the knot holes saying how any thing like this will end the world as we know it. So support could be important.
    Affected by the tide? Sure it will and the wind if there is not a breakwater out there. Think there was an idea once about adding a summer dock down by the air strip. Lots of flat land, wonder what happened there ?

I wonder how much they will raise the launch fee now with this new upgrade/new launch? Whitter is close but it sure takes a bit out of your wallet
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have to agree on the knot holes! Still the best place for western PWS. Improvements will be greatly appreciated. Once they get Shotgun Cove opened up it will be interesting to see what happens. I hope the City of Whittier wakes up and takes on and embraces improvement.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

build it and we will come
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default updates

There's quite a following on this forum... Keep us updated. I have a feeling if support were needed it might well be available.

Default Strong interest and support

Ditto on WinMag's comments. I bet you'll find huge interest in, and support for, improvements to Whittier's docks and ramps. Please keep the forum updated. Thanks.

Default Shot Gun Cove

What going on at Shotgun, it's 7 miles out. Sure would be a nice place for a road or finish off the trail (old Road)

Default Oh shotgun Cove, opppps

Oh I did not connect the dots fast enough, Whittier dock improvements and or the new Private Owner Dock and the Shotgun Cove project are not the same 3 different deals.
    The Shotgun Cove new road is blasted out and ready to finish.
    The Marina at Shotgun is a few years away, 20 year project. They are selling lots out there I hear over looking the Cove rumor $250k.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    build it and we will come
    Build it and they will come also, be careful what you wish for. If it werenít for the high tunnel, parking and launch fees along with substandard facilities you'd see half of south-central headed for Whittier; letís hope the attraction remains mediocre for a time.

Jay

It is my understanding that the road to shotgun project ran out of money and there isn't any in the pipeline to get it finished. I heard this a few weeks ago from someone who was talking to a guy doing the work, so I don't know how valid it is.

Has anyone asked the Whittier City manager?

BTW I was in Durham NC last week, gas was $2.86 a gal, Diesal was $3.05

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    BTW I was in Durham NC last week, gas was $2.86 a gal, Diesal was $3.05
    Wow I can not believe diesel is that expensive.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Diesel was $2.94 in Eagle River yesterday. When I drove the Alaska Highway a couple of weeks ago it ranged from about $4.40 to $6.50 a gallon.
    Tennessee

Default Snivel, snivel

snivel. Diesel is 3.30 in Ketchikan.

I don't know how some people overseas deal with fuel prices. I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago on vacation and diesel was $6.50/gallon. Fortunately, the car I rented was a little 5-speed Fiat that burned diesel (as most vehicles over there seemed to do). I didn't know that a diesel-burning car could have so much zip.

Diesel is now hitting $3.00+ in the valley now. Sunshine Tesoro..which sells more diesel than just about anyone to the truckers is not at $3.04

Which has nothing to do with the original topic at all

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I guesses this winter they are going to add or up grade a launch at the end of the road.. From what I was told this launch will not be affected by the tide. Which will be nice.
    Here are a few tidbits of information about the Whittier facilities:

The city of Whittier has a project planned to expand the Small Boat Harbor in three phases & Phase one is tentatively set to bid in December 07. You can look at the plans on their website as soon as it is back up & running.

The road improvements to the Shotgun Cove trail only goes about halfway out there for now ~ they did not have enough money to go all the way to the cove or to pave it.

The city owns +/- 190 acres of land @ Shotgun Cove & according to them last week, there is none for sale.

UAA owns a piece of land @ Poe Bay outside of Whittier & has plans to sell some of it but they do not have anything scheduled in the near future.