Thread: caribou hunt aug2008

Talking caribou hunt aug2008

I am going to do the haul road next year,would like any advice! I lived here for 20 years and this will be my 1st time.Thanks for any advice.

Get off the road and on the other side of the Sag River, you'll have a better shot at someone not ruining your stalks.

Whatever you do have fun, I did. When I come up there again I'll fly out or at least take a well equipped boat if going up the Haul Rd

Do some seaches there is more info on this site about hunting the Haul Rd than you could read in a week. Goodluck

Have you hunted up there in July? Was wondering what the antlers looked like?

They'd be in Velvet for sure. I'm not sure if they'd all be fully developed by then. I've only hunted them in late August early September they were all rubbed off by then.

I personally dont like anything in velvet some people like velvet more.

Default good luck

Be prepared for bugs Talk to biologist, they gave us the best area to go. Don't get frustrated if you hunt the road-as others will set up on top of you, if you are willing to hump in, then you will get away from the crowds. Keep a positive attitude and have fun.

Thanks Jerry, I personally like the velvet. I was curious about the antler development, how much bigger are they in August/September? Is it noticeable? Do you still find good size bulls that early?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Thanks Jerry, I personally like the velvet. I was curious about the antler development, how much bigger are they in August/September? Is it noticeable? Do you still find good size bulls that early?
    I'll give more or less time frames because every year it is a little different. After bowhunting up here on the haul rd for years and working on the slope watching these things, here's what I've seen.
    The last week of August the antlers are 90% to fully done growing/developing. The velvet is still on them during this time as well, but could be getting loose on some. Shedding it is going to happen very soon, "usually" starting the last week of Aug-1st week of Sept, again from my experience. This is when they are done growing of course. This year I shot my bull on the 4th of August and the points weren't fully developed and his beam length was still a pinch premature from full grown. The shovel still had rounded nubs showing where the points were starting to come out or would have been if fully developed.
    In mid July, the biggest of bulls are getting the mass in the beams, but the length won't be but 1/2 way to 3/4 grown. The tops are showing points or rounded nubs that will eventually grow out. The shovels are just flat fur covered pancakes and the bez are typically 3/4 length with little points to some definition.
    You can definitely tell the difference when a large bull is near a smaller bull by body size and mass in the rack. Don't always rely on the big white mane to determine size either. I wouldn't come up early for a wall hangar, but more meat is all you'll get in the early season (before mid Aug) cause the racks aren't grown.
    **side note**I saw one bull this year on the 1st of August (in the no hunting zone of course) that was absolutely huge. He was 350B&C plus, easily, with still a month to grow. I would have loved to have seen that guy out of velvet...Absolutely huge! So there "can be" some big one's taken early on.
    Typically, if you go before the 3rd week of August, dress for bugs! This year the heat stayed longer and so did the bugs. In years past, I've had it snow on the 4th of July, early August, late August and there wasn't a single bug. Go figure, it is what it is. It usually doesn't stick though.
    So to answer your question about comparing July antlers to late Aug/early September antlers, I hope that helps you out some... Best of luck...

Good to know. That helps a lot, thanks.

Thanks,we like to walk so we will try to get off the road and maybe spike camp if we find some animals.We are going the last week of aug.

Week prior check in here to see where are the caribou at. Also get off the road and you will avoid allot of hunters.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK