Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear rug pictures

Default Bear rug pictures

I'm having a bit of trouble choosing how to have my bear rug done. Does anyone have pictures of either a closed-mouthed rug or a slightly open mouthed rug? I'm not really interested in the typical open-mouthed rugs. Thanks,
    Rick

I know what you mean about not really liking the open mouth. I've seen one done with a closed mouth and I didn't think it looked very good either. I don't have any photos of it or I would post them for you.

I have two rugs now and one being made, and what I do is get the rug done in a way that remindes me of the hunt. If the bear wasn't at all aggressive, I would opt for the closed mouth. My first bear was a chocolate blackie that I shot from 11 feet on the beach south of Juneau. It was wandering by and I was hiding behind some driftwood. It never knew I was there and it hardly reacted to the shot.

My second was a large dry sow black bear over bait. It had just kicked the royal crap out of a young boar, and was very aggressive, so I did an aggresive open mouth form on the rug.

This third bear nearly made me soil myself. I ambushed a grizzly in some willows and watched as it chased a squirrel to within 6 yards of me, just on the other side of the willow. The suirrel made a narrow escape, and as the grizzly was walking off, I grunted to get it to turn. It was a sharp quartering shot at around 10 yards, but I got the arrow in the right spot. I chose for an open mouth mount on that rug because of the predatory nature that the bear was in at the time I shot it.

I like shart's take on it. I only have one black bear rug and I had it done with an open mouth, but not "snarling". (The upper lip is relaxed) The teeth on just about any bear are impressive and a good taxidermist can display the bears' mouth without necessarily making it look very aggressive. Also, I'd recommend having the felt (fringe) background the same color as the bear if the bear is a small one. It makes it look a little bigger!!

No snarle here.I opted for the soft open mouth as I didnt like the mean aggressive look even tho this bear was charging me and I just couldnt come to turns with the closed mouth.

And a close up.

Daniel

Thanks for the input, folks. Shart... great job of expressing your point-of-view. I didn't mean to sound like a noobie, but I hate it when people extoll all their kills to make themselves sound like seasoned woodsmen. Therefore, I'll skip over my background and just say that it's much easier to find examples of shoulder and 3/4 bear mounts with their mouths both opened and closed. I really like them closed unless the paws are raised in an aggressive posture. It's also easy to find rugs with open mouths, but much more difficult to find them closed-mouthed. That's why pictures of closed-mouthed rugs would be so welcomed. The question in my mind is whether a rug would look good with a closed mouth? Daniel... thanks very much for the photo. I think I would enjoy a slightly smaller gape, but your photo was very helpful. Again, thanks for the input so far.

Heres a closed mouthed pic's. Can take better ones tomarrow if you would like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKDSLDOG,
    Your picture is very helpful. Could you please take at least one more from a head-on point-of-view? I'd really like to see the mouth clearly. Many thanks,
    Rick

Cazador do a search for the following: My bear is home! There's two good photos of a closed mouth blackie.

close up's.

couple more.

How big of a griz is that? Nice looking hide on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    How big of a griz is that? Nice looking hide on it.
    Just shy of 6', not a monster but a pretty bear and it was a pain in our butt on the hunt. North of the brooks range. Hair is 5" thick.

Thanks, my grizzly that is getting done now is right at 6', so now I have an idea of how that blocky head is going to look on a smaller bear. I shot mine north of the Brooks in late May this year and the fur was thicker than any bear I had seen. I'm anxious to get it back.

By the way, I share computers with "Shard" when we are at work, so I accidentally posted as him earlier in this thread. Thought I would clarify that.

My sincere thanks to everyone who helped with the pictures/comments. I guess I need to call the taxidermist back.
    Rick

No problem Cazador, what do you plan on doing, open or closed mouth?

Here is my soon to be rug in a closed mouth, natural look...

Can't wait to see those teeth again though!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    And a close up.

Daniel
    Daniel, who did the rug, I havent seen that soft opening before and I'm really likin' it!! As far as bears go, I think ya should see at least some teeth but not too terribly snarly! I'll try to post a pic of my 9.6" griz head after it was rugged later but I like the way yours looks better! Awesome job on the lips.

Is there any way to get taxidermists to not stick the bottom lip out? I have mounted all my own rugs and to me it just doesn't look natural to have that lip out like that. Has anyone ever seen a bear do that besides on "Grizzly Adams"? I have seen one done that looked like a circus novelty with the ears straight up on its head, nose all wrinkled and the lips stickin out like a monkey. A little work on the form and it looks allot more natural. Just a tip. I have also done my bigest black bear with a closed mouth and I loved it, but it had a pretty big head.

Daniel, that's a beaut! Good hide, and great facial.

Maynard, watch them eat and interact... I see protuding bottom lips on quite a few bears that are alive. Snacking blueberries, or, when there is another bear around. On the latter I always assumed it was helping them direct scent.

Default should i close or open the mouth?

i've been told the closed mouth looks more natural on a rug. What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast