Thread: Got an ewe..thanks to someone..

Default Got an ewe..thanks to someone..

No ram this season but did take a monster double broomed ewe sheep up outa goat creek a few days back, horns were about 2 inches long and broomed right into the bone base of the horn, bio hadn't ever seen one like it.
    But the reason i write this, i shot the sheep, looked like she went down so i hiked up to where she was and no blood or sheep. scouring around i couldn't find any sign i had hit her. looking up i spotted a hunter on the skyline several hundred feet above me, point down hill from him, thinking he saw another ewe i just waved him off, still believing i had hit one. Several mintues later i found a small tuft of hair with a speck of blood, pulling out my spotting scope i put it on the other hunter and made the motions of a sheep rolling down hill, the other hunt in return made the same motion and pointed down hill...again. I upped and headed down, double checking this hunters motions, he kept doing them so i continued, turned out my sheep had stayed on its feet and fell after it was outa sight from me rolling down into some bushes 500 feet or so lower and i was unable to so her.
    So special thanks to the guy on the skyline, where ever you are for helping me locate my sheep, i hope you and your buddy were able to connect and your campsight across the creek was a warm one, hope you were able to connect as well. Thanks.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Doesn't make sense.

Obviously we harvest other female ungulates in N. America but I could never understand the wisdom of this for sheep. You'd think you would want maximum lamb production. I can't believe Alaska has an overpopulation of sheep. Expecially with the expansion of draw units.

Default Taking ewes

You are right. The only rational time to allow ewe or other female ungulate hunting is when the population is such that the hit it takes by taking out the producers is irrelevant or to alleviate populations that place too much pressure on the habitat. As a whole, I don't think it is accurate to say there is an overpopulation of sheep. Harvest has declined overall across the state, and can anyone say there is an overpopulation of sheep anywhere with the exception of 14C? Why else would they allow ewe hunting?

BWNBR, Congratulations on the hunt and your success. Obviously you were in an area where ewe's were legal so good job and I'm glad someone took the time to help direct you to the animal.

Hey guys, he was in an area the biologist PROFESSIONAL decided that some ewes should be taken. If you wish to debate the taking of ewes, by all means do so but do it on its own thread, not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sherpa View Post
    can anyone say there is an overpopulation of sheep anywhere with the exception of 14C? Why else would they allow ewe hunting?
    He was in 14C, and the only other place that I can think of where they offer ewe permits is around Crescent Lake in Unit 7.

Congrats, BRWNBR - enjoy that meat, and if it turns out that you simply cannot fit it in your freezer, I'd be happy to take some backstraps or tenderloins off your hands.

umm backstraps are gone....they mighta cooled before i ate them, but i doubt it. thanks though brian. yes it was 14C, saw 20 something rams, none legal and probably around 50 ewes or more in the four times i went out on day hikes from palmer area.
    Master guide 212

Default more than one right answer...

Ewe hunts are something that biologists don't always agree on. Similar to caribou mgmt, when a population is lower than you want it, the take of ewes intuitively will only slow the rebound. If the population is higher than you need (more often a problem with caribou), then the take of females can be a tool to help reduce numbers or control reproduction. If the population is right where you want it (and natural repro/survival in the area is high), the take of females is one way to keep things stable.... or, in the world we live in, to keep it artificially balanced.

Think about this - if ewes are only there to be reproductive units, and you already have more repro than you need... ewes are just taking up space, utilizing habitat that could otherwise be used by rams, the objective of most dall sheep hunting pursuits. So if you have plenty of repro, wouldn't you want more rams taking up space than ewes? Anyhow, just something to think about.

Another thing is that the 14C ewe hunts have been in place for a number of years. Most of you know F&G budgets aren't what they should be, and sheep surveys are one of the first things to go. If the biologist doesn't know what the current numbers are, it may be time to reconsider the risky of taking of ewes. Southcentral regs aren't up for change for another year and a half, but it may be something to consider when the time comes.
    Hunt with your kids, not for your kids

Regardless dude,congrats on a successful hunt.Daniel

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default armchair biologists...

I wouldn't even think about killing a ewe... until I realized that there weren't any legal rams and my season was almost over...then I would fill the freezer with delicious sheep meat- you can't eat the horns right?! Nice job BRNBR...

Congrats man, a sheep is a sheep, you can't eat the horns!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Congratulations. I'm headed up next weekend to see if I can do the same.

How was the snow?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Wink Too late!

Here I was going to trade you your backstrap for 50lbs of blackened snapper fillets. grin

Congrats BRWNBR!!!
    Isn't it great to find guys in the field that want to help you out rather then walking of in jealously?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

vance..for sure, the whole reason i made this post was to see if i those guys who helped me out where in here, not really concereded with what people think of me shooting an ewe sheep. but was just happy to have been at the right place at the right time to get a sheep and for those guys to be there as well to help out, probably never meet them, but there are some good folks out there hunting just like us.
    Snow, was none on the back side of pioneer, i went up goat creek, lots of sheep in there very few rams that i could see from where i was, 2 3 or 4 year olds, but maybe a dozen ewes i could see..probably twice that that i couldn't see.
    headed to kodiak tomorrow...maybe i'll shoot a doe...
    Master guide 212

Good luck on Kodiak!!!!
    And keep that 10mm handy!!
    I hear BRWNBR prefer tasty does
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Ewes and rams taste the same and both are DELICIOUS!!! Congrats Jake, you done good buddy!!

BRWNBR

Nice story.

It is nice to hear about a hunter helping another hunter rather than competing.

Default Pictures?

BRWNBR, pictures?

Congrats on your harvest!