Thread: bushmaster 223 group sizes?

Default bushmaster 223 group sizes?

What group sizes and distances are you shooting? I am having some problems - I think maybe my scope has failed - group has spread way out/random/no pattern-

thanks

Default Tune Trigger and it will tighten up

I have M4 version of Bushmaster carbine and it shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards with iron sights. This is extremely accurate. It was less good when the trigger wasn't adjusted as I got it.

You can a.) adjust it yourself.(tricky but doable).
    b) get an aftermarket and drop in.

Either one I can say that the Bushmaster is really great as a reliable carbine for varmints. (four and two footed variety).

My son has claimed it as his own.
    This means I get to buy another one.

Sincerely,

Thomas

My bushmaster shot exceptionally well. 1/2-3/4" groups at 100 yards with 10x scope. I would bet it probably your scope thats the issue.

I have a bushmaster m-forgery and I also get 1.5" groups @ 100yds with either the irons or an eotech.

Default Bushmaster

While mine is not a 223, but an BAR 10 308, it will shoot 3/4 groups all day long as long as I do my part. Check your scope and try different loads. My Colt AR15 likes 64 gr bullets better then 55 grainers.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Mine shoots in the .3's. But then again mine is in 204 Ruger and is built on an Anvil Arms lower. My Bushy will do the 3/4" thing all day long with 50 grain Ballistic Silvertips.

Default thanks

I had just put the new trigger in, and was excited to see some better groups. It started out real good(1 box @ 50 & 100yrds), then all at once they scattered when I moved to 200 & 300 yrds, so went back to 100 yrds & still had a large group. I used the rope cleaner a few times but not any cleaning fluid. shot three boxes of 55 gr remington in two hours @ 50,100,200 & 300 yrds-

Ill bring a back up scope next time, maybe some better cleaning tools, different ammo-

Default Blackhills Ammo

I have had very good luck with Black Hills Ammo.
    The bushmaster groups best with this stuff.
    I guess if I started reloading for it I could even get better groups but
    the Black Hills stuff is pretty dandy.

You might check to make sure your front handguard is not loose. Just check the tolerances of everything.

Sincerely,

Thomas

If it was the same ammo you were getting good groups with before, it could be you got the barrel a bit too warm. My Rock River Varmint rifle, 24", 1:8 twist bull barrel has shot a .270 inch group at 200 yards with 69 gr HSM ammo. With the cheap 55 grainers, it usually keeps 'em within 1-1 1/2inches. Generally speaking, a Bushmaster should be on par with Rock River, DPMS, etc. as far as accuracy.

What's the barrel length, twist, and contour? Your gun might just have a preference for a different bullet?

You could also look at selling your Bushmaster and buying a real AR-15

But seriously, a sudden shotgun pattern during shooting when all else is the same would be worrisom to me after I've ensured it is not the shooter (check trigger squeeze, follow through, stance, grip, etc.) The scope mount would be first suspect, then the scope itself if something internal worked loose. After that, I would start looking at the gun.

Bushmaster has a history of problems that include headspacing issues and gas tube problems that can really mess up your groups. One agency I did training with that bought Bushmasters ended up sending about 30% of their new inventory back to the factory for headspacing problems during the initial break-in period. A year later, their inventory started having some really bad gas leaks around the forward end of the gas tubes. The bolt gas rings also wore out of spec within the first 2 years. The in-house armorer was able to correct those problems (and used Colt parts to do it), but after witnessing those and other minor problems, I wouldn't buy a Bushmaster myself.

I have a Colt CAR-15 LE that I've never had a single problem with... other than keeping it fed without taking away too much of my salary. Not to say there aren't many good AR's from various manufacturers on the market, but somehow Bushmaster seems to show up at the top of the list of complaints.

Default thanks-

things went better this weekend, tried some different ammo, and spread out my shots more incase the barrel was getting warm. I found some ammo that works and some that works much better. I think it must have been ammo/warm barrel that caused the shotgun effect. the rifle would probably work better in the hands of someone more knowledgeable in proper shooting techniques and form, but, im doing the best I can. Any suggestions on where I would learn or read about form, ect.?

Overall I dont think it is a 300 yrd gun - for varmints. Maybe a heavier bullet would help the distance shots? Currently using 55 grains.
    2.5 x 10 x 56 pentax scope - its a heckuvabuy if it holds up - for 150 bucks

thanks for all your suggestions guys

The bore snake if fine for a casual cleaning, or to take into the field... but you need to clean your bore thoroughly. If you don't want to clean it, take it to a gunsmith and they'll charge to do it.

But don't keep shooting hundreds of rounds without properly cleaning it.

Shooting on a dirty barrel isn't going to hurt it, its just going to make the eventual cleaning longer.

I've abused my poor rifle that started life as a bushmaster worse than my M-16 I carried in Iraq. So far no issues. She's pushing a little over 5K without a cleaning, there's carbon mud built up on the bolt carrier, and gunked all over the inside, but it just keeps running.... Waiting to see just how far I have to take this gun to get it to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    Shooting on a dirty barrel isn't going to hurt it, its just going to make the eventual cleaning longer.

.... Waiting to see just how far I have to take this gun to get it to fail.
    Sounds like an opinion that should be kept to oneself.

You contradict yourself in your statement, saying that a dirty barrel won't hurt it, and you don't clean yours,... but you're waiting to see how long you can go before it fails.

Just because your firearm hasn't failed yet, doesn't mean that it's doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Sounds like an opinion that should be kept to oneself.

You contradict yourself in your statement, saying that a dirty barrel won't hurt it, and you don't clean yours,... but you're waiting to see how long you can go before it fails.

Just because your firearm hasn't failed yet, doesn't mean that it's doing fine.

firing on a dirty barrel, will not hurt the barrel. It will make the eventual cleaning harder, but its not going to cut down on the life of the barrel because it's been stored dirty.

Waiting to see it fail, is waiting to see how long the gun goes till it malfunctions, by fail, I mean fail to cycle, feed, eject, or fire. None of which is going to hurt the weapon.

And yes, if she function checks ok, feeds, fires to POA, and groups well, she's just fine.
    Last edited by AK_Stick; 10-14-2007 at 01:36. Reason: ETA

I took my 11.5 inch barreled Bushmaster out to the range one day when I was running a bunch of other folks through the known distance range.

I was able to hit mil-issue green cardboard upper torso targets in the chest at 400 meters. I had a little 3 power junk scope with a bullet drop compensator built in. We set the bullet drop for 500 meters and it hit dead on at 400 meters using issue 62 grain M-855 ammo.

Of course the energy of the 62 grain load at 400 meters after leaving my 11.5 inch barrel would not be all that impressive.
    Probably like getting stabbed by a knitting needle.

You said your scoped groups stink,,,,, what about yiour iron sight groups?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com