Thread: Best charter location city

Default Best charter location city

Looking for a bit of advise. Myself, brother and parents are looking to charter a boat for a day to fish halibut and possibly Ling Cod / Rockfish / etc.

First we will be driving from Anchorage to Homer and back, hitting Whittier and possibly Seward along the way over a 5 day span. With multiple charters out there, is there a port that is in better to location to hit good fishing at the end of August. Don't really feel like boating for 2 hours longer than needed to just to find out we could have went out of another location and allowed more time with bait in the water.

Also, does one port allow more variety or size?

Thanks in advance

Talking Send me a PM...

With your private email and i will set you up. I just got back from Seward...had an absoulte blast... I pulled in a 238lb HOG!!!! Below is a pic of our catch yesterday. Please note our boat was the only one with a catch this size, everyone else was hanging chickens and silvers...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Thumbs up Another pic...

Here is me and the boy(fish) that wore me out....

Just had a meal with the family straight of the cooler...Sure was good!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Unhappy Halibut Fishing

I have fished for "but" from Valdez, Homer, Seward and Anchore Point. Seward should be good for your trip. Don't book with the {name deleted by moderator, send PM instead of posting negative information about specific businesses}out of Anchore Point. They have poor equipment and will bring you in after three hours with or without your limit. Poor equipment includes light frayed lines and old rusty hooks.
    Last edited by AKmud; 07-10-2006 at 00:43.

Thumbs up Second vote for Saltwater Safari

The short answer? Go to Seward! I used to fish Homer back when I had my boat, but anymore I go with Saltwater Safari Company out of Seward. The scenery is second to none and the fishing is fantastic. Especially mixed-bag trips like you're asking about. Here's my friend Bob last summer, with one of dozens of ling cod we caught on one trip. At one point, we had six lings on at the same time. Bob and I used to spearfish lings many years ago with SCUBA gear, something I hope to get back into soon. Gotta love it when you can combine fishing and hunting on the same trip!

I'm glad to see the restrictions on ling cod, and hopefully this fishery will be with us a long time. I look at these pictures and am amazed at ling cod. The thing looks like a stomach with enough fins to push it through the water, and a mouth big enough to swallow anything that swims by. We caught these lings out on a ledge on the edge of a place where the silvers swim by. About half of them had partially-digested silvers in their bellies. One guy pulled up a ling on his first drop, and another had ahold of it (common occurance with ling cod). They gaffed the hanger-on and the guy was done with his two-fish limit in one pull.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default More Seward stuff

Here's another shot of our fish box when we were about halfway done. I think we limited on silvers, lings and halibut. Fantastic trip.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

For a shot at a true monster barn door halibut you have to go to Homer but you can catch some pretty big one's out of Seward as well. I highly recommend Pro-Fishn-Sea charters out of Seward, these guys have awesome boats and know where the fish can be found. If you decide to go to Homer then I would go with Silver Fox, excellent boats and captains who will put you on the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan
    The short answer? Go to Seward! I used to fish Homer back when I had my boat, but anymore I go with Saltwater Safari Company out of Seward. The scenery is second to none and the fishing is fantastic. Especially mixed-bag trips like you're asking about. Here's my friend Bob last summer, with one of dozens of ling cod we caught on one trip. At one point, we had six lings on at the same time. Bob and I used to spearfish lings many years ago with SCUBA gear, something I hope to get back into soon. Gotta love it when you can combine fishing and hunting on the same trip!

I'm glad to see the restrictions on ling cod, and hopefully this fishery will be with us a long time. I look at these pictures and am amazed at ling cod. The thing looks like a stomach with enough fins to push it through the water, and a mouth big enough to swallow anything that swims by. We caught these lings out on a ledge on the edge of a place where the silvers swim by. About half of them had partially-digested silvers in their bellies. One guy pulled up a ling on his first drop, and another had ahold of it (common occurance with ling cod). They gaffed the hanger-on and the guy was done with his two-fish limit in one pull.

-Mike
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the limit on lings one per day? I fished out of Seward last year as well and we were only allowed one each.