Thread: Holster for backup handgun while hunting?????????

Default Holster for backup handgun while hunting?????????

I'm going to cross-post this in hunting because I'm not sure where it will get the most hits. Mods, if that's a problem delete the one of your choosing.
    I'm looking for a new holster to carry the EAA Witness 10mm I just picked up for my backup gun while hunting (the front site has no sharp edges).
    I'm usuall wearing a backpack of some type, & binos on crooked river straps so I'vs got several straps running accross the chest & a hip belt for the pack.
    I'm considering the "Tactical" style holster that rides down on the thigh with the idea that it gets the gun away from everything else.
    Anyone using one while hunting???
    Pros?
    Cons?

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

A thigh holster will be uncomfortable while climbing and restrict your movement while climbing. The straps run around your thighs.

I would consider a belt mounted holster on the waist straps of your pack or a cross draw chest holster. m.h.o.

Default Galco Double Action Outdoorsman

Stongside or crossdraw...your choice. I have several of these for different guns and always wear mine crossdraw. I've used them with day-packs as well as fully loaded pack-frames as protection against Mr. Tooth-N-Nails while packing out caribou. I put the holster on the belt that holds my pants up and the waist belt for the pack fits perfectly.

Ed

Default leave it at home

If it's just a back-up....10 MM..........for DANEROUS GAME.....leave it at home. Your rifle is better and that's just alot of extra weight to carry that wouldn't do you much good to begin with.

Default I bought a Alaska Sportsman

chest holster. I have a 8 3/8" barrel on my taurus 44. I posted a pic in my thread in the hunting forum under Survival Man-Awesome trip. I wore a back pack and bino on the chest and carried my rifle. I think it is a good idea to carry the extra gun dude. That way you always have one with you. The alaskan was very comfortable. I put it on first. then Binos, so the sit on the bottom part of the holster. then my back pack. I put the chest strap under the strap on the holster that holds the gun in place. So if I needed. I just popped the holster hold down strap and had access to the pistol. worked good. was comfy with every thing on. I had mine to where it say pretty high on my chest. They are $70 and worth it man. Even with my hip holster and belt I still found it sitting on the boat or at home while hiking. I never took the gun off with the new holster. I love the thing. Mountain View Sports, Great northern guns, and Northern security carry them.

If you want to try a tactical thigh holster, it will take a bit of adjusting to get it comfortable. There are a lot of different holsters on the market and getting a cheap-o version will be uncomfortable for long hiking treks. A high end version from a reputable company will be good once you get it adjusted correctly. You can't have the leg straps too tight or you'll chaff and cut off circulation and they can't be too loose or you'll have problems drawing the gun.

Safariland and Blackhawk both put out some good tactical holsters. Look at the high end stuff they sell to military and SWAT for the most comfortable gear. I tend to like the Blackhawk stuff as these guys are building equipment for special ops military that spend long hours and long walks in this gear. The downside to Blackhawk is that you can expect to wait 1-3 months for private civilian orders from them due to their workload of military contracts.

If you do go this route, I would recommend you also look at 5.11 Tactical's Holster Pants. They are a BDU style pant with slots behind the cargo pockets for your leg straps so the holster gets a solid fit without having to overtighten the straps. It is a good match up with any thigh rig.

Short of that, I would agree with others that a shoulder holster or high-ride belt holster might be better options for hunting/hiking use.

Thanks guys.
    e45Colt, the belt holsters just seem to get in the way for me with the backpack belt. Seems like the gun gets burried & hard to get to. I'd love a crossdraw if not for that.
    Cold zero, I want the gun there even when the pack comes off for a final stalk or around camp.
    Akrstabout, I have considered the one you mention & if the thigh rig doesn't work out, it's next on my list.
    I picked up one of the "tactical" thigh rigs, & so far find it comfortable wearing around the house (I know it's not the woods) going up stairs, etc. We'll see how it works out.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Bearbuster, I primarily bow hunt, not rifles.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    If you want to try a tactical thigh holster, it will take a bit of adjusting to get it comfortable. There are a lot of different holsters on the market and getting a cheap-o version will be uncomfortable for long hiking treks. A high end version from a reputable company will be good once you get it adjusted correctly. You can't have the leg straps too tight or you'll chaff and cut off circulation and they can't be too loose or you'll have problems drawing the gun.

Safariland and Blackhawk both put out some good tactical holsters. Look at the high end stuff they sell to military and SWAT for the most comfortable gear. I tend to like the Blackhawk stuff as these guys are building equipment for special ops military that spend long hours and long walks in this gear. The downside to Blackhawk is that you can expect to wait 1-3 months for private civilian orders from them due to their workload of military contracts.

If you do go this route, I would recommend you also look at 5.11 Tactical's Holster Pants. They are a BDU style pant with slots behind the cargo pockets for your leg straps so the holster gets a solid fit without having to overtighten the straps. It is a good match up with any thigh rig.

Short of that, I would agree with others that a shoulder holster or high-ride belt holster might be better options for hunting/hiking use.
    Joat we were typing at thevsame time it seems
    Thanks for the input I went with a Federal holster (probably considered a cheap-o but US made & lifetime guarantee).
    I may look into the others if I really like the concept.
    Thanks.
    Vance in AK.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Thanks guys.
    e45Colt, the belt holsters just seem to get in the way for me with the backpack belt. Seems like the gun gets burried & hard to get to. I'd love a crossdraw if not for that.
    Cold zero, I want the gun there even when the pack comes off for a final stalk or around camp.
    Akrstabout, I have considered the one you mention & if the thigh rig doesn't work out, it's next on my list.
    I picked up one of the "tactical" thigh rigs, & so far find it comfortable wearing around the house (I know it's not the woods) going up stairs, etc. We'll see how it works out.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Bearbuster, I primarily bow hunt, not rifles.
    Vance:
    Belt holsters can get in the way, and they can get caught in the brush too.

A holster on your thigh, while out of the way of your back pack, would probably be worse for getting caught in the willows etc.

I don't carry a handgun when I'm hunting with a rifle, because I don't need the extra weight and bother. When I carry one otherwise, I usually have it kinda high on my right hip, but back out of the way as much as possible.

Some kind of chest holster is probably your best option. I usta just put the belt over my right shoulder and under my left arm and let the holster ride on my chest under my coat. With my coat unzipped, the pistol was reasonably accessible and didn't get snagged by by the underbrush.

Since you like the thigh holster, hopefully it won't be that big of a problem. Good Luck

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The Alaska sportsman's Chest Holster is THE choice.
    http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

I have a Alaska Sportsman Holster, I have had it for about five years. This is the best holster for a back-up pistol. They sell them at Sportsmans Wharehouse and Mountian View Sporting Goods here in Anchorage. I like it because I dont have to draw up to have my gun ready, It dosn't get wet in the streams and creeks when fishing, I can ware it over my coat so I dont have to move my coat to get my gun out, and I dont have any extra weight on my side on long hikes. It is by far the best holster for hunting I have ever had.

I'd advise against a thigh holster, because unless your running around kicking in doors, and such, it just gets in the way, and is a pain in the rear. I carried my M-9 in a thigh rig for most of Iraq, and it got in my way alot.

Also, I dont know of many good thigh rigs for the Witness.

However, if you do decide to get one, Blackhawk, isn't that great of a company, they have alot of QC issues, soem holsters are good, my thigh rig, works like its supposed to, but the newer ones, i.e. the serpa, has had some known issues, and gets gummed up and can be jammed fairly easily. The Safariland holster is IMO a much nicer holster.

I haven't yet had a problem with any Blackhawk gear, but I'm not using any of it on a daily basis in the sandbox either. Aside from what you stated about the Serpa, what other Blackhawk gear have you seen issues with?

To tell you the gods honest truth, all of MY blackhawk gear has worked fine. I have seen alot of other BHI gear, holsters, and vests mainly, that have sup par QC, stitching rips out after a few weeks of use, mag pouches get frayed quickly, ect.

The issue with the Serpa, is that gunk can get in the release and jam it up so it wont release your gun. But I haven't had that happen, and I carry my Serpa as my winter time CCW.

Talking Backup is just that

I always carry a backup handgun while hunting. It IS extra weight. It IS a choice some choose not to make. If your choice is to not carry then I respect that. MY choice is to carry.
    I suggest that you try several different carry configurations and use what works FOR YOU. The system I use now is not the way that I started and it may yet change.
    10mm will be more than nothing and with adequate bullet selection should finish the job when the beast is on top of you and you are unable to use your rifle.
    I carry, My wife carries. If my dog could carry then she would.

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Stongside or crossdraw...your choice. I have several of these for different guns and always wear mine crossdraw. I've used them with day-packs as well as fully loaded pack-frames as protection against Mr. Tooth-N-Nails while packing out caribou. I put the holster on the belt that holds my pants up and the waist belt for the pack fits perfectly.

Ed
    I agree 100%, but I'm right-handed and my cross-draw holster works well in a pick-up since the 7-1/2" barrel pokes down over the side of the seat a bit. The seat belt fits over it just fine. If I were left-handed though, I might find that a cross-draw is more of a pain when driving unless the gun is a snubby. I'd probably go strong-side in that case ...both seem better than a guide holster (chest) versus layering your clothing for various conditions and seasons in which case you want to be able to take coats/sweatshirts/etc on and off easily and on-demand according to activity levels and weather.

Brian

The chest holster is about the best...I'm glad Chimo guns talked me into trying it.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

You guys need to look closer to home for a good holster manufactor:
    http://www.simplyrugged.com/leather_goods/index.html

Good quality, hand made and dependable, price isn't bad either.
    Satisfied customer from Michigan