Thread: Reloading .280 Remington

Default Reloading .280 Remington

Anyone ever reload heavier(140 gr to 175 gr).280 remington loads in A H&R Handi rifle. My gun shoots lighter bullets great, I just cant get a decent group out of anything over 120 grains no matter what I try.

My .280 Remington 700 did very well with the 139 and 154 Hornady Spire point bullets and IMR 4350, and also did well with the Hornady 175 RN and IMR 4831.

I aslo had an Encore barrel in .280 that only did well with the 175 Hornady RN and IMR 4350.

Neither .280 did well with the 160 Sierra BTSP, which had been a good performer for me in previously owned 7mm Rem. Magnums.

Default 280 Rem

I use 145 gr Speer spitzers pushed with IMR 4350, CCI primers. Two barrels for my TC, both by Bullberry custom shop out of Idaho. One 24 inch blue, the other 26 inch stainless. Both shoot under an inch. I have noticed seating depth makes a big difference. Have not tried any thing over the 145.

Default 280 Loads

140 grain bullets work well with RL19

150 grain bullets work well with H4831

the 4350's work pretty good with a variety of loads.

I have not tried anything heavier.

I have to pipe up on behalf of that Hornady 175 grain RN. At the velocities generated by the 280, as well as the 7x57 and 284, it is a beautiful performer on game. Classic expansion with good weight retention. Pushing it full snort with a 7 mag will over-extend it's capabilities at closer ranges, but I frequently load it down to around 2600 for use in brush with my mag. Kinda nice to sidestep all the hoopla over premiums and get back to basics with a bullet, meanwhile cutting your shooting costs more or less in half. It's one of my favorite bullets and I use it lots for plinking and practice, as well as hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    Anyone ever reload heavier(140 gr to 175 gr).280 remington loads in A H&R Handi rifle. My gun shoots lighter bullets great, I just cant get a decent group out of anything over 120 grains no matter what I try.
    I have the same problem with my Browning A-Bolt .280 Rem with bullets heavier than 145 grains. It'll shoot 120 - 145 grainers fine but it gets really erratic with anything heavier. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my loads for 140 grain Nosler Accubonds, Partitions and 145 grain Serria's for you to try.

From what I've gathered it's not all that uncommon for .280 Rem's to not shoot the heavier bullets well. Usually it's with the heavier bullets, around 150 grains or more, but every rifle is different. I have another rifle project to finish first then I'm going to get serrious with my .280. Right now my plan is to replace the barrel with a 24" Pac-Nor. I haven't decided if I'm going to change the standard rate of twist to a faster twist. I'll call Pac-Nor and see what they advise and do some digging first. When I'm finished I want to be able to shoot 160 grain bullets as accurately as the lighter ones.

Woody

Arky, did you get my p.m. to you about this the other day? Mine shoots 160 grainers very well, as does my Encore. I use IMR 4350 powder exclusively.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???