Thread: Nikon D40 Lens

Default Nikon D40 Lens

What would be a good Telephoto lens for a Nikon D40 - The use would be for wildlife and things of that sort....

I was looking at the 70-300mm VR from Nikkor but I've heard mixed reports on that lens..

You're going to have to spend a lot more money to get a better one. What's your price limit?

lol....I'd prefer keep it under $1,000

300mm is the 35mm film equivalent of 450mm when mounted on the D40. That's generally considered to be a minimal lens length for shooting wildlife. That's one (marginal) strike against it, but if you are patient and can stalk well, you don't really have to have something longer than 450mm. The other handicap it has is the somewhat slow aperture of f/5.6 when used at 300mm. F/4 or f/2.8 would be better, but would make the lens far heavier and vastly more expensive. Vibration Reduction helps quite a bit when hand holding or using a monopod, but doesn't completely make up for the smaller aperture.

For about $1000, Sigma makes a 50-500 lens that is surprisingly good in spite of it's 10x zoom range. Here are a couple reviews: http://www.vividlight.com/Articles/413.htm -- http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...hp?product=105

But it's max aperture at 500 is only 6.3, so it's worse than the the 70-300 VR, but since it is longer it can be a better wildlife lens. It is also larger, and does not have VR though, so I'm not so sure it is really a better choice. Optically, I hear it's similar in quality. Sigma's 170-500 is less money and less weight, but is not as sharp. Nikon's 80-400 VR is a better lens, but is larger, heavier and costs over $1500.

I shoot with Canons and decided that their 70-300 IS (same as VR) lens was the best compromise for me. I didn't want to pack around a large lens and a tripod to keep it steady, so IS and 300mm works for me. But if wildlife shooting was a passion for me I would get something longer and drag the tripod along like real wildlife shooters do.

Well I think the 70-300 will work for me seeing as I'm just diving into the world of Digital SLR photography....I dont think I'd be quite ready to step up to a more expensive lens yet...